Malonn

Potential Error in DLC

I don't know if this is a mistake by Bethesda or not, but I've found something odd.  I'd like to fix it, but I can't figure out if it's a mistake or intentional.  And if it is a mistake, what is correct.

Knight.esp -> Idle Animations -> ND02SirAmielWatchFight.  One condition is for the quest ND02 ("Priory of the Nine") to be set to stage 5000.  There is no stage 5000?  I can't figure out why they'd intentionally set it at that, nor can I figure what it should be if it's a mistake.

Through studying the quest, Sir Amiel watches the player fight the knights, and then fights him last.  Sir Amiel should idle while the player fights, hence this IDLE.  What stage should the quest be at at this point?  I like blowing smoke up my ass by saying I could figure this out, but I'm getting frustrated, so I'll just ask here.

Thanks.

Typically when Bethesda sets an intentionally out of range quest stage like that it's because they're doing it to easily disable it from running. There may be a problem with the idle animations or it may have been something they were working on but didn't have time to pass through QA.

You could test it by setting the stage check to match the actual stage where he's supposed to run that while the player fights the other knights and see what happens.

I’ve done that quest and never had a problem with it as far as I know. Mind you, unless that idle is something specific or very different from others, I wouldn’t have noticed anyway.

I didn't consider it to be intentional.  I just can't get used to Bethesda's habit of keeping unused and half finished content in plugins.  I'd like to clean all that shit out.

Having said that, like AB said, I've played Knights through several times and never noticed issues, so maybe it's just a junk record that I can delete.

I can see.  But I can't seem to figure what stage it's supposed to be checking.

Maybe I'll study the quest for more than 10 minutes and try to figure it out...

I believe it is a common habit to leave unused half finished content behind for many companies. It can be left because publishers/managers put pressure on the developers/actual workers to hurry up for release, or because an idea doesn't work, so it gets left to return to later while focussing on other parts, and then they forget the unfinished idea (just a couple reasons).

Given the fact that Oblivion went past its deadline I'd say it's likely whoever was working on this thing disabled it because they couldn't make it work right. It may have been forgotten later on but time pressure is definitely the most logical reason someone cut it off.

I also wouldn't advise ripping it out of the files either. It's doing no harm as-is right now so there's no risk in leaving it alone.

I'll probably leave it, or even attempt to restore it if I can get a better understanding of it.

I can see it as an unnecessarily used ID, but what's the FormID limit, really?  16^6 or something like that?

Theoretically it's 16 million forms per file, but you'll never be able to practically hit that limit in any file because it would consume so much memory it would be ridiculous.