AndalayBay

TAL Shutting Down - Sort Of

I finally managed to recover some of my backups from the NAS today. I’ve been working on this for a while as the NAS also has a bad drive. I wanted the backups because some of the files I recovered from the failed drive on my machine are corrupted.

Does anybody have a shared hosting service to recommend?

12 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Does anybody have a shared hosting service to recommend?

You can always ask Fliggerty (send him an e-mail at fliggerty@fliggerty.com, if you want to hear from him as soon as possible) about hosting since he is an employee at the Westhost company unless he lost his job during the pandemic.

Or you can host your site in Sweden for a fair price and I only pay around 500 SEK (go here and convert the Swedish currency to your currency) per year for a web hotel and domain fees plus my host also offer Let's Encrypt for free.

Edited by Leonardo

AB, you may want to consider an cloud backup service as well as your computers and NAS.  Your computer drive fucked up, your NAS drive fucked up;  all this trouble with local backups would be easily fixed with a cloud service backup.  There's good software to keep your PC/NAS mirrored online with some services.  Wouldn't be a hassle.

Having said that, they're not free (well not for decent sized storage), plus you have to keep processes active on your computer.  And network bandwidth.  I thought I read you have a 10mb/s connection.  That can be tied up easily nowadays.

Any publication that recommends GoDaddy is not to be trusted. These guys explain why: https://hostingcanada.org/ I have been exploring their recommendations. The sites they recommend are also recommended by many other reviews.

@Malonn, cloud hosting is not an option for forums as I need to set up something for Black Marsh. In terms of our personal needs, storing 16 TB would cost $800/mth. Obviously that’s out of the question. The computers and hard drives in question were purchased 2013 and earlier, so we have no complaints in terms of their longevity. We have purchased replacement drives for the NAS so we just need to replace my PC.

My bad, I forgot to mention what Fligg did with all mods he had on MMH, so checking that might be what you're looking for.

Server Migration Ongoing (sort of a status announcement on MMH)

Modhistory is currently being moved to a new server. At the same time, a number of hosted files are being transferred to Amazon's AWS S3 storage in order to reduce hosting costs.

I do not anticipate any change in the speed or quality of the site or downloads -- in fact it may increase somewhat.
In the meantime, until this migration is complete and I have worked through setting up everything on the new server, there will undoubtedly be problems. One such expected issue is that the search function will not work for the time being. Also note that right now some files may not be downloadable until the transfer is entirely complete.
If you come across any problems beyond those mentioned, please feel free to contact me via email at fliggerty@gmail.com and I will do my best to make a timely response.
Thanks for bearing with us!

UPDATE: 10/17 5:30PM MST
Downloads are now working properly. So all files that were previously accessible should be downloadable again.

Edited by Leonardo

If you're just looking for someplace quick and easy to shove some backup files, you could always just use Dropbox.

I need shared hosting for the Black Marsh forums. We’ll have some community threads as well. We won’t be a mirror site anymore.

Our NAS’s are back up and running.

14 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

We won’t be a mirror site anymore.

That's understandable and I agree, but have you consider to get a VPS for the forum at the same time using Dropbox.

Edited by Leonardo

I don’t want to manage my own server anymore. I could get a smaller Linode, which would be much cheaper, but I’d still have to manage the server. I’m still debating my options as I could probably run the forums without mirroring on a Linode that only costs $5/mth (USD). Linode has scripts to install all the software, so it’s tempting, but I really don’t want to deal with a mail server...

I see.

My host, Inleed.se (uses the Roundcube e-mail program), offers all what you just mention for a fair price 29 SEK per month and I think that's below $5 (USD) per month.

https://www.xe.com/ (I cannot visit due to much traffic on FB :wallbash:)

Mail servers are a pain in the ass, but far more of one if you're allowing it to receive mail for the domain too. For AFK, I have postfix set up on the server so the forums and bug tracker can send email, which is routed via Google. I gave up trying to maintain my own domain email after spammers got too good for the linux tools to handle.

Yeah I set things up to route through Google too. I have it receiving emails as I have logwatch running. I changed the forum emails to come from a noreply address, but that didn’t work. I guess Google said fuck you, as usual. I had it set to a real email address and despite changing it in the forum software, it never changed. I have found configuring email quite difficult, so I’d rather not deal with it anymore.