AndalayBay

TAL Shutting Down - Sort Of

Posted (edited)

My PC is dead. The motherboard has failed, so I need to shut TAL down and take what I pay in hosting fees and put it towards a new PC. We have three active projects. The team members have been notified via PM. One of the projects, the Unofficial Morrowind Patch, will be moving to AFK Mods.

Even before I got to this point, I wanted to find a new host for the wikis. Vorians spoke to Enodoc and he has agreed to host our wikis on the UESP wiki farm. He's just waiting for me to give him the backups.

I need to find a shared hosting service for my cattery site, so I may resurrect the forums in some form in the future. We are working on developing games for mobile, so TAL might be rebranded and repurposed. It might be fun to return to modding when TES VI is released.

We have some mods here that haven't been uploaded elsewhere. What should we do with them?

EDIT: Black Marsh still needs forums as we make the last push to get it released, so I will be setting up new forums called The Lab. The URL will still be theassimilationlab.com as the domain renewed in July.

Edited by AndalayBay
Added comment about Black Marsh
  • Sad 2

Oh, no!!! :blink::blink::blink:

This is really sad news. :(

I've had got some awesome memories here, especially in the beginning back in 2013-14 when I became I drone, sort of a local moderator, for both Morrowind and Total War.

I assume everything related to TW aren't going be available, until you resurrect the forum some day in the future.  If it is possible I would appreciate if the Total War stuff (not uploaded mods) could be hosted on AFK Mods as well, provided that Arthmoor are willing to do that of course.

I’ll make a backup of the forums and the files on the server. I still haven’t heard from all our hosted projects, so I may wind up setting up new forums on the new hosting service. I can say that if I do set up a new set of forums, the name will change and it will be just called The Lab. It will be hosted under our new company name, which I can’t announce yet.

• Like 1

This is unfortunate. I'll be sad to see it go, but something I like to live by is "Don't be sad that it's over. Be glad that it happened." That kind of mindset tends to make loss a bit easier. 

TAL helped me out when I was working all alone and provided me hosting space and creative insight. The Brotherhood of Old would not be where it is today if not for your help, and I'll always be grateful for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that sorta sucks, but I understand the decision.  Glad you are finding a new home for the wikis, as they have some good info within.  These forums do too, for that matter.

Well, I wish you all the best AB with your future plans.  When do you think will be the last day for the site?

I'm still trying to get a hold of Ibsen's Ghost. If he decides to keep Black Marsh going, then I will be setting up new forums. I've found a shared hosting provider that gives pretty decent service for $3/mth CDN, which I can afford.

I don't know what to do with mods that have been uploaded here and nowhere else. Any ideas? 

There is always Mediafire to upload those mods or you can ask Dark0ne or one of the other admins on Nexus about mirroring those mods.

However, you can skip all TW mods I've uploaded here over the years since I have permission from two TW modders to mirror them elsewhere.

Hi, I would vote for Black Marsh to survive somewhere of course, if my vote matters :P

I understand it cant be published without Ibsen's approval and I don't know, how difficult for it to move a whole project from one place to another. But BM is such a colossal work of several generations of modders with much of playable content (that Glenbridge questline was pretty epic and I even didn't play most of the quests!). But I'm sure you know and value it better than me.

And I would love to continue tweaking interiors for it (marriage arrangements took all my free time these last couple of weeks)

Oh, are congratulations in order? :beerchug: Yeah I can’t see stopping BM now either. I can pare down these forums so it’s just Black Marsh and then migrate the forums to a new package.

I’m in the middle of selling kittens right now, so I can’t take Cor Auratum offline right now. Once all the kittens are sold, I’ll start shutting things down and setting up the new hosting service.

• Haha 1

Well that's a shame, but I can understand why you took this decision.

What's hosted here that isn't also hosted elsewhere, aside from the big projects?

3 hours ago, Sigurd Stormhand said:

What's hosted here that isn't also hosted elsewhere, aside from the big projects?

Qarl's Oblivion Textures, of course anyone can try to download them on FilePlanet (dunno how long that site will be accessible) and some stuff on Nexus.

Qarl's Textures can probably be uploaded to Nexus. They have a caretaker system that will look after orphaned mods. Thanks for finding that @Leonardo. As I said, I really don't know what's been uploaded. Please let me know if there are others.

I've spoken to @Ibsen's Ghost and Black Marsh will continue so I'll be setting up new forums to support that. They will be called The Lab, but the URL will still be theassimilationlab.com as the domain just renewed in July. I'll edit the OP.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of which, I have contacted WhiskeySykes on TWC regarding his mods (yes he uploaded 2-3 maybe 4-5 mods) here.

I've been told they're out of date anyway. If you think there's anything worth saving, I can move them over.

The last kitten has been reserved.

1 hour ago, AndalayBay said:

I've been told they're out of date anyway. If you think there's anything worth saving, I can move them over.

I see.  Yes, it's worth saving that especially the tutorials for TW and right now I am discussing that with Arthmoor about that.

Man, it's difficult to post on two forums at the same time about the same subject. :P

Heh. Should probably keep the discussion here then. As Leo said, I'm willing to bring those tutorials over if they're of value still. I'm just not sure how a merge process would work with partial data from one database into the other even though both sites use IPB 4.

29 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

I'm just not sure how a merge process would work with partial data from one database into the other even though both sites use IPB 4.

I think it can be tricky, because I just realized that there is a gallery tied to the tutorials forum and I have a lot of pictures there.

Yeah, that would definitely make things much more complicated.

Our IPB 4 is seriously broken. IPS really fucked up our permissions. They basically called me an idiot, which is why we cancelled our license. Anyway I can host them if you wish.

7 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Yeah, that would definitely make things much more complicated.

In order to make it less complicated I think the best result would be if you created a forum(s) and a gallery on AFK Mods then merge the forum content while I do the gallery.

Well manually, I mean checking here on TAL then do the same thing on AFK Mods.

I came just in time to steal away Vacuity's hard work :P
Haven't been here, but cool that you kept things going Andalay. Whatever you choose, thanks for hosting these forums!

When you’re dealing with recalcitrant electronics, you usually have the options of kicking it, hitting it with something or just pleading with it. I discovered another option: ignore it for a week or two. When I last tried to boot my PC, I got boot, beep, boot, beep, boot, beep... It just keep rebooting itself before the BIOS even finished loading.That’s when I decided the motherboard was toast. I powered it down and just left it as I started to search for the components for a new PC. I had a hunch the other day and decided to power it up... You guessed it, it booted just fine. It’s really flaky so I need to get a new PC, but the CPU I want is on backorder everywhere. All the kittens have been adopted, so that will help with the bills, but I’m still looking for a new hosting service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1