Sign in to follow this  
Amadaun

Dove

Name: Dove (aka: The Dove, Little Bird, “That damned light-fingered wench,” “Not that one crazy girl with the wings, do not look like her.”)

Sex: Female

Race: “Maybe some sort of elf. Pointed ears, right? Right. Elf.”

Age: “Not telling, sweetling. Not polite to ask a lady such things. Am so a lady. You watch your mouth, else you end up with your lips sewn shut!”

Appearance: Dove is very tiny, a little less than five feet tall. She has very pale skin and hair, appearing almost as an albino were it not for her black eyes – hence the nickname, “Dove.” She prefers to wear long, colorful skirts, lots of colorful layers, and plenty of jewelry. She carries several pouches full of little trinkets gathered from her travels, and she has a story about each one. If you ask nicely, she'll tell you. If she likes you, she may trade one for something of yours...

Weapon of choice: She prefers not to fight – if a brawl were to break out, she would swiftly hide behind her chosen shield (something or someone tall, wide, and preferably stable.) However, if forced to it, she is quite adept at the art of throwing knives. (Don't ask where she keeps them.)

Occupation: Entertainer. Storyteller. Something of a Jack-of-all-Trades. Her favorite instrument is a double-piped flute.

Backstory: “Story? You want a story, sweetling? Which one? Plenty of stories. One about the princess who killed a king of the witches and a ring that ate people’s minds. One about forests that walk and lions who talk. Have one about farmers who learn magic and save the world and discover their birthrights. And I have one of a sane man trapped in an asylum who rose to become king of all the mad. Like that one. Like it a lot.”

“What? Story of me? No, no story. Storyteller, not story-maker. Sorry, sweetling. Another time.”

(Notes: True to her bird-like nature, she likes shiny things, and will gleefully pluck thing that catch her eye right out of people’s hands. It doesn’t have to be valuable, as she has been known to snatch forks and glass bottles as well. This might make her unpopular with certain people at the Inn who like their shinies and their privacy. :biggrin: )

Picture: http://sidhejester.deviantart.com/art/The-Dove-97948425 (Sorry, I couldn't help but draw her...)

Playlist:

– Limahl (Forgive the 80s-ness of this, I couldn't resist.)

Sharada – Skye Sweetnam

Must be Dreaming - Frou Frou

All Soul’s Night – Lorenna McKennitt

Building a Mystery – Sarah Mclachlan

– Cat Stevens

– Ace of Base

– Ace of Base

- VNV Nation

The Last Unicorn - America

- Heather Alexander

- Cirque du Soleil

Master of the Wind - Manowar

Tropes:

Be Careful What You Say – Storytellers try to make sure they always tell the truth and stay perfectly calm. They might accidentally hurt the person they’re angry at, or make something untrue, true. Don’t worry – they’re very sorry about it afterward.

Beware the Honest Ones – Dove will always tell the truth. She is also has little use for tact. She feels if something needs to be said, it ought to be. In front of everyone, if necessary. Be careful what you tell her…but if she promises a secret, she’ll keep it. (From the people she promised not to tell, at least.)

Beware the Nice Ones – Yes, Storytellers are cute, tiny, happy and easily distracted by shiny objects. They’re also the dominant species on a world where one can be eaten by everything, including nothing. Be careful.

Bizarre Alien Biology - The extra cavities in her head are just the beginning, really. There's more.

Black Eyes of Evil - Well, not evil, but very creepy. When a member of Dove's species is very frightened, their eyes dilate until they're pure black. Useful in a very dark world. Less useful in a not-so-dark world if anyone knows a good light spell.

Celibate Hero – That’s what the rules say. But in her case, the rules don’t quite fit. We'll see what happens.

Cloudcuckoolander – Ooh! Shiny!

The Cutie – If she were any cuter, she’d be the center of a Disney musical number involving dancing cutlery or something.

Dark World – Dove is from a world called Darkness. It’s a descriptive name. Yep.

Dissonant Serenity – Pretty much all the time. Rarely does the look of wide-eyed calm/joy vanish. Part of it’s because she’s damn hard to kill – the other part is that she’s just that sweet and happy.

The Fair Folk - Dove is something of an exception among the Storytellers. Most are emotionless to the point of near-sociopathy. Her people tend to also be rather cruel to outsider's eyes - survival comes first, after all.

Forbidden Fruit – Storytellers are traditionally forbidden from all close relationships. All of them. Touch her without her permission, and Seabhac removes your hands at the shoulders.

Genki Girl – Please…please, please, please…don’t give her any caffeine. Oh please. Dove is the happiest little bundle of energy you’ll ever meet. Very rarely will you get her down, and not for very long.

Genre Savvy – Part and parcel of being a Storyteller. Dove’s bliss doesn’t come from ignorance.

Immortality Begins at Twenty - Compared to how long-lived her race is, the very long time that it takes to become an adult isn't that long. Dove, incidentally, is a very late bloomer.

Language of Magic – The Language seems to work by vibrating the fabric of the universe to make things happen. Naturally, the exact effects have to be carefully described, or something could go badly wrong. Badly.

Little People - Dove is short for her race, but even at 4'8", she's not that far below average. She just hangs around people who are tall. (Yes, Krahe and Seabhac are tall for her people. Average for females is about 4'11", average for males is about 5'4")

No Sense of Personal Space - Dove likes cuddles. Count Hassildor is a (much chagrined) target of this.

Oracular Urchin – One is really never sure how much she knows about things. But she knows more than she usually lets on. And considering how much she likes to talk… Darion thinks she knows everything, of course.

Obfuscating Stupitity – Or is it? …honestly, even I don’t know anymore.

Older Than They Look – She says she's a little over a hundred and fifty (as best as can be estimated), but between her height and her attitude, tends to appear in her mid-teens. She is an adult, she just...doesn't always act it.

Prime Directive – Storytellers are supposed to observe, rather than influence events. They also claim that the fact that they tend to show up just as things really start getting strange is a complete coincidence.

Reality Warper – The absolute limits of the Language are unknown, but infant Storytellers are watched very carefully in case their crying accidentally makes something…happen.

White-Haired Pretty Girl – She’s pretty, she’s a girl, and she has white hair. What more do you want from me?

Witch Species – Dove’s entire race is a little bit…special.

The Wonka - A lot of Dove's people come across as this, especially if they haven't been out in the "Lands of Light" for very long. For example, it's considered much more polite to tell someone they've got really nice breasts, than to comment on their personality.

Words Can Break My Bones – The most powerful words in the Language are the Commands. Only Storytellers can use them, and only with much care. As to what they can do...

I liked Morrigain's playlist idea, so I came up with one for Dove. *updated*

– Limahl (Forgive the 80s-ness of this, I couldn't resist.)

Sharada – Skye Sweetnam

Must be Dreaming - Frou Frou

All Soul’s Night – Lorenna McKennitt

Building a Mystery – Sarah Mclachlan

– Cat Stevens

– Ace of Base

– Ace of Base

- VNV Nation

The Last Unicorn - America

- Heather Alexander

- Cirque du Soleil

Master of the Wind - Manowar

Might or might not give a better understanding into her character. :biggrin:

Guest theinfamouskat

AW PRECIOUS!!! Now I HAVE to dig out my notebook and try to take a pic. :biggrin:

Yay! Tropes!

Be Careful What You Say – Storytellers try to make sure they always tell the truth and stay perfectly calm. They might accidentally hurt the person they’re angry at, or make something untrue, true. Don’t worry – they’re very sorry about it afterwards.

Beware the Honest Ones – Dove will always tell the truth. She is also has little use for tact. She feels if something needs to be said, it ought to be. In front of everyone, if necessary. Be careful what you tell her…but if she promises a secret, she’ll keep it. (From the people she promised not to tell, at least.)

Beware the Nice Ones – Yes, Storytellers are cute, tiny, happy and easily distracted by shiny objects. They’re also the dominant species on a world where one can be eaten by everything, including nothing. Be careful.

Celibate Hero – That’s what the rules say. But in her case, the rules don’t quite fit. (Not that she knows that yet.)

Cloudcuckoolander – Ooh! Shiny!

The Cutie – If she were any cuter, she’d be the center of a Disney musical number involving dancing cutlery or something.

Dark World – Dove is from a world called Darkness. It’s a descriptive name. Yep.

Dissonant Serenity – Pretty much all the time. Rarely does the look of wide-eyed calm/joy vanish. Part of it’s because she’s damn hard to kill – the other part is that she’s just that sweet and happy.

Forbidden Fruit – Storytellers are traditionally forbidden from all close relationships. All of them. Naturally, Dove wants lots of friends, and would love to be a mother someday. Maybe she’ll get what she wants.

Genki Girl – Please…please, please, please…don’t give her any caffeine. Oh please. Dove is the happiest little bundle of energy you’ll ever meet. Very rarely will you get her down, and not for very long.

Genre Savvy – Part and parcel of being a Storyteller. Dove’s bliss doesn’t come from ignorance.

Language of Magic – The Language seems to work by vibrating the fabric of the universe to make things happen. Naturally, the exact effects have to be carefully described, or something could go badly wrong.

Oracular Urchin – One is really never sure how much she knows about things. But she knows more than she usually lets on. And considering how much she likes to talk…

Obfuscating Stupitity – Or is it? …honestly, even I don’t know anymore.

Older Than They Look – She’s a little over a hundred and fifty, but between her height and her attitude, tends to appear in her mid-teens.

Prime Directive – Storytellers are supposed to observe, rather than influence events. They also claim that the fact that they tend to show up just as things really start getting strange is a complete coincidence.

Reality Warper – The absolute limits of the Language are unknown, but infant Storytellers are watched very carefully in case their crying accidentally makes something…happen.

White-Haired Pretty Girl – She’s pretty, she’s a girl, and she has white hair. What more do you want from me?

Witch Species – Dove’s entire race is a little bit…special.

Words Can Break My Bones – The most powerful words in the Language are the Commands. Only Storytellers can use them, and only with much care. As to what they can do...

Updated her playlist with some new songs to match the recent new info about her. Check 'em out.

TVtropes are addictive.

Seriously.

I've got a tab open to the site right now. It's crack in a Wiki syringe.

And bah - I've been legally considered an adult for the last eight years. It still hasn't sunk in. I refuse to let it. :laughing2dw:

Boredom breeds art.

Thus, here's the design of Dove's Storyteller robes. (Normally, all of her pouches would be hanging on those belts, but I didn't feel like drawing them.) Yah.

Boredom? Boredom! *points furiously at the Black Marble thread*

:tongue:

But, on a side note, I have never imagined Dove to look like that. Strange.

Inspiration hits when inspiration hits. :tongue:

But yeah - it's one reason she loves such off-the-wall, layered, colorful clothing. I figured the traditional robes - even the robes for the females - were probably pretty understated in comparison, at least in terms of color.

I tried to come up with something that made one think of a priestess/cleric style, but was still rather pretty.

Well, you did a good job on that front. ^^

And one would certainly imagine that in a world of darkness, they wouldn't be going for bright-and-colourful. XD

Guest J_Slr

Actually more importantly, has anyone in the Inn seen her like that? Or is she dressed in multicoloured stuff?

*Is confused and suffering from blood loss*

Edit:

Also it looks amazing ama!

Edited by J_Slr

Nope, she's only worn her multicolored clothing up until now. If she helps out with Cla'nee and Venos' wedding, though, Seabhac will probably give her the evil eye until she wears the correct clothing for the ceremony.

Ha - I did the personality test for my characters, too - Dove is just about SPOT ON. (Also, I think I'm done updating her playlist. Yep. Go listen 'n stuff.)

The Givers

As an ENFJ, your primary mode of living is focused externally, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit into your personal value system. Your secondary mode is internal, where you take things in primarily via your intuition.

ENFJs are people-focused individuals. They live in the world of people possibilities. More so than any other type, they have excellent people skills. They understand and care about people, and have a special talent for bringing out the best in others. [That’s what Dove’s trained to do, and she’s good at it. ‘Cause it’s fun.]

ENFJ's main interest in life is giving love, support, and a good time to other people. They are focused on understanding, supporting, and encouraging others. They make things happen for people, and get their best personal satisfaction from this. [she likes it best when people are happy. :biggrin: She’s such a sweetheart.] Because ENFJ's people skills are so extraordinary, they have the ability to make people do exactly what they want them to do. They get under people's skins and get the reactions that they are seeking. [Again, this is what Storytellers are trained to do.]

ENFJ's motives are usually unselfish, but ENFJs who have developed less than ideally have been known to use their power over people to manipulate them. [some Storytellers do this. Seabhac would kill her. He’s big on letting people make their own minds up, even if they’re being stupid.] ENFJ's are so externally focused that it's especially important for them to spend time alone. This can be difficult for some ENFJs, because they have the tendency to be hard on themselves and turn to dark thoughts when alone. Consequently, ENFJs might avoid being alone, and fill their lives with activities involving other people. [Could be! Not telling!]

ENFJs tend to define their life's direction and priorities according to other people's needs, and may not be aware of their own needs. [*sigh* Yeah.] It's natural to their personality type that they will tend to place other people's needs above their own, but they need to stay aware of their own needs so that they don't sacrifice themselves in their drive to help others. [Again…yeah. Poor silly little Dove. This isn’t a problem with the Storytellers who don’t feel anything, but with her…?]

ENFJ's tend to be more reserved about exposing themselves than other extraverted types. Although they may have strongly-felt beliefs, they're likely to refrain from expressing them if doing so would interfere with bringing out the best in others. Because their strongest interest lies in being a catalyst of change in other people, they're likely to interact with others on their own level, in a chameleon-like manner, rather than as individuals. [Damn. That’s like…the definition of being a Storyteller]

Which is not to say that the ENFJ does not have opinions. ENFJs have definite values and opinions which they're able to express clearly and succinctly. These beliefs will be expressed as long as they're not too personal[Huh – yeah. For someone who talks so much, she doesn’t really talk about herself. The thing about Krahe is…the only important thing about herself that she’s shared. Interesting.]

ENFJ is in many ways expressive and open, but is more focused on being responsive and supportive of others. When faced with a conflict between a strongly-held value and serving another person's need, they are highly likely to value the other person's needs. The ENFJ may feel quite lonely even when surrounded by people. This feeling of aloneness may be exacerbated by the tendency to not reveal their true selves. [Maaaaybe.]

People love ENFJs. They are fun to be with, and truly understand and love people. They are typically very straight-forward and honest. [Oh dear God, yes. To a fault.] Usually ENFJs exude a lot of self-confidence, and have a great amount of ability to do many different things. They are generally bright, full of potential, energetic and fast-paced. [Only a little. :laughing2dw:] They are usually good at anything which captures their interest.

ENFJs like for things to be well-organized, and will work hard at maintaining structure and resolving ambiguity. They have a tendency to be fussy, especially with their home environments. [Well, all of her little trinkets do have their specific pouches and stories.]

In the work place, ENFJs do well in positions where they deal with people. They are naturals for the social committee. Their uncanny ability to understand people and say just what needs to be said to make them happy makes them naturals for counseling. They enjoy being the center of attention, and do very well in situations where they can inspire and lead others, such as teaching. [Or a Storyteller.]

ENFJs do not like dealing with impersonal reasoning. They don't understand or appreciate its merit, and will be unhappy in situations where they're forced to deal with logic and facts without any connection to a human element. [indeed.] Living in the world of people possibilities, they enjoy their plans more than their achievements. They get excited about possibilities for the future, but may become easily bored and restless with the present.

ENFJs have a special gift with people, and are basically happy people when they can use that gift to help others. They get their best satisfaction from serving others. Their genuine interest in Humankind and their exceptional intuitive awareness of people makes them able to draw out even the most reserved individuals.

ENFJs have a strong need for close, intimate relationships, and will put forth a lot of effort in creating and maintaining these relationships. They're very loyal and trustworthy once involved in a relationship. [And our poor little Dove is so certain that this will never happen. Ever.]

An ENFJ who has not developed their Feeling side may have difficulty making good decisions, and may rely heavily on other people in decision-making processes. If they have not developed their Intuition, they may not be able to see possibilities, and will judge things too quickly based on established value systems or social rules, without really understanding the current situation. [Luckily, she’s got her intuition developed by now. She’s been on her Gathering long enough.]

An ENFJ who has not found their place in the world is likely to be extremely sensitive to criticism, and to have the tendency to worry excessively and feel guilty. [she’s still a little guilty about Krahe’s arm.] They are also likely to be very manipulative and controlling with others. [Again, Seabhac would kill her. You’re only supposed to be a little manipulative.]

In general, ENFJs are charming, warm, gracious, creative and diverse individuals with richly developed insights into what makes other people tick. This special ability to see growth potential in others combined with a genuine drive to help people makes the ENFJ a truly valued individual. As giving and caring as the ENFJ is, they need to remember to value their own needs as well as the needs of others. [Oh dear – does she have trouble with this one.]

I just listened to the updated playlist. Now I'm all depressed. What the hell?

(might have something to do with Master fo the Wind being frickin' gorgeous, mind.)

:laughing2dw:

Our little Dove has layers, she does. Like a parfait. With strawberries and whipped cream and sprinkles and a cherry on top and...

(And yes, that's SUCH a gorgeous song. I wubs it.)

Edit: Avatar - "and I mean this is a pink, slightly SPECIAL way."

Guest q21

And everybody loves parfait. You ever say to someone, "Lets go get some parfait," and they say, "No, I don't like no parfait" ?

Indeed.

Parfaits are delicious. Parfait's gotta be the tastiest thing on the whole damn planet. :biggrin:

Guest q21

Ogre's are like onions. End of story.

... wait, isn't this thread about Dove?

Updated Dove's trope list in the first post. (I should start putting together one for Claes, Krahe and Seabhac, too.)

Guest theinfamouskat

When chick is sick, Ama goes troping. Tis true. :biggrin: