Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rahvin

Artur Hawkwing

Guest Rahvin

Yes, I did steal the name from the Wheel of Time series but meh. My Artur is like the complete opposite to Jordan's Artur.

Oh and just a short bit about my inspiration for this character. Basically last weekend I went to see Oliver! down at the West End. I thought it was bloody excellent. There were differenced from the novel, obviously. For a start Fagin is more of a lovable rogue (if an old and ugly one) than a true villain, or at least so I thought. Secondly (there are more but this is the relevant one) the Artful Dodger doesn't get caught or anything. For me the Dodger stole the show, the actor who played him was 13 years old and fantastic. So yeah... Since then I've been in a bit of an Oliver! frenzy. My inspiration for Artur came from the Dodger, hence my chosen actor (see cast list thread).

Here goes:

Artur Hawkwing - Imperial child, pickpocket.

Artur is a wee lad at twelve years old, looking closer to eleven or even ten. However this has always served him well. People never suspected him because of his young looks, which tended to be? well not a fatal mistake, but still a mistake. His nimble fingers often made away with something, even if it was just enough to earn him some food for the night.

A Waterfront orphan he was quickly taken in by Pole, his handler. The kids never knew Pole by any name other than that, even though they knew it wasn?t his real name. Pole worked for an organisation that worked in secret through Cyrodiil, taking in young orphans who would otherwise be left to fend for themselves with no knowledge or skills or sometimes killed just for being in the way. The organisation taught the orphans to pickpocket, break locks and make small meals and shelters out of scraps. Perhaps there are more honest ways of surviving, but in the end it is very rare any of the orphans come out injured, except perhaps a few scrapes here and there, and as for the people they take from? well what is taken is usually barely even missed.

Artur?s life changed somewhat when not long ago he saw a girl, the daughter of a noble he thought. She looked to be a few years older than him and oh so very complacent. She obviously trusted the Guards, but already one of Artur?s fellow orphans had taken one of her finely made pocket cloths. What they were possible used for he did not know, but they were worth money and that is what counted. For a while he followed the girl, until the right moment presented itself. He walked out of the shadows and bumped into her, accidentally-on-purpose. Artur?s clothes had been made by one of the women in the organisation and were good enough quality to make him seem just like an average child.

The girl gave a startled ?oh?. Artur swept off his hat in a bow and apologised, attempting to make her even more complacent. Apparently it worked. With a smile she ruffled his hair and simply said, ?Accidents happen.? Artur had planned to walk her home and pickpocket her on the way. It was a plan often used by him and hadn?t failed him yet. However he had not expected for one moment that he would feel sorry for her when she smiled. That smile? he could not have said how it made him feel truly, only that she had already had one thing taken from her tonight. Surely there was no need for another?

He let her walk off, staring after her. On the walk home Artur kept telling himself how much of a fool he had been. Now he would have no meal for the night, unless he wanted to scrounge in the waste, and probably Pole would punish him by making him sleep outside. Some how Pole always seemed to know everything that went on with the orphans. But at the back of his mind during the whole walk was a little thought nagging at him. The thought that by not pick pocketing the girl he had done a good deed and he felt? proud for it.

Of course when he got back to the shack he forgot all about that. Pole was furious, he had found out what had happened like Artur had predicted. And now Artur was going to pay. Pole didn?t like to punish with anything but his bare hands?

Early next morning he awoke to an Imperial Guard giving him small kicked, telling him to move off of the walkway. With a murmured apology Artur sat over by the waters edge, thinking deeply. He didn?t often think deeply, usually only of whom he was going to end up paying for his meals. But now he did and with a shock realised he wanted? more. On impulse Artur made to go and fetch his belongings, and laughed grimly as remembered he didn?t have any belongings. Only what he was standing in, and those really belonged to the organisation. He gave the Waterfront one last look and made for the gates. He was going to start over, somewhere else. He did not know where. Where ever his walking to him, he supposed.

Artur wears a blue wool coat, designed for someone taller than him so that it ends up being almost as long as him. He also wears a red shirt underneath and striped trousers along with a slightly old fashioned top hat. All of the clothes are not so poor as to attract attention, yet nobody would take him for a rich man?s son. All his clothes are slightly tatty, and patched up in places.

He has scruffy brown hair, like the rest of him rarely washed. His face is still slightly round, but not enough to be called fat or even chubby. He was often told by the women of the Waterfront that he?s a cute kid, and if he could clean himself up would find it easy to ?catch the girls?. That thought used to make him feel uncomfortable, but recently and much to his confusion, it no longer seems such a strange thing to do.

I think that is everything, correct me if I am wrong.

Only note I'd make is that top hats probably don't exist in Cyrodiil. But I'd bet the Inn would give him one. :wink:

Also, come to think of it, Nee might have met him when she was younger. He'd have been six at most, so she'd never recognize him, but he might recognize her, because she'd have been anywhere between...we'll say fourteen to sixteen.

Guest Rahvin

Hmm... Well let's just say that he gets the top hat when he enters the Inn for some odd reason not known to any of us :tongue:.

And if Artur runs into Nee then I'll make some small offhand comment, perhaps something will come of it later on.

I'll take that as a stamp of approval if you don't mind :biggrin:.

Wait just a few more posts at the Shady table before bringing him over, I want to finish the conversation that's started up.

You could have him over at the Shield table for a bit until then, the conversation there could use a jump-start.

Guest Rahvin

Oops, sorry only just saw this! I'll edit it so he just nodded in passing or something. How long do you think it will be before he can come over?

Mm...just give it a bit more. Kardin's having a small meltdown right now. :laughing2dw:

Guest Rahvin

Haha OK :laughing2dw:. Just let me know... an OOC on the Shield table or something.

Guest Rahvin

Yup :blink:. Sounds a bit Scottish actually, which wasn't quite the impression I wanted to create but oh well.