Sign in to follow this  
Sigurd Stormhand

Ragnar Coldhearth

Name: Ragnar Coldhearth

Race: Nord

World: The Elder Scrolls

Appearance: Ragnar has a bluff, tanned, face; good looking without being handsome. He has bright blue eyes that are often cheerful or teasing, though they are terribly bland and cold in battle. He is shaven-headed with a thick red beard of which he is very proud, even if it does tend to get in his food. Of roughly average height for a Nord, he is slimmer than most with a swordsman’s build, broad in the shoulders, slim in the hips and long of limb.

Background: The second son of a minor Thane, Ragnar is perhaps unusual in that he is a Nordic Knight who embraces the magical aspect of his vocation as much as the martial. As a child Ragnar showed not only the curiosity and restlessness common to so many of his kin, but also a thirst for literature. When others would be sat around the meedhall fire listen to the thousandth retelling of the Songs of King Wulferth Ragnar would be upstairs be the open window, wrapped in a cloak with a book on his knees.

In his youth Ragnar served in Skyrim’s Host in the Reach, where he learned the value of a silver weapon. Ragnar has had a full set of Nordic silver blades forged, dagger, shortsword, longsword and claymore. He once joked, “I save the claymore just for the liches and Daedra lordsâ€. Despite his generally jovial nature Ragnar is a cunning and brutal fighter, not adverse to breaking noses or kneeing groins.

Ragnar has been an independent adventurer for over two decades, on and off, the Sigil Stones which infuse his weapons were collected by him personally from Oblivion. He is has come to Cyrodil to deliver deposition from the High King of Skyrim to White Gold Tower – he is no planning to return home.

Hrrr. You weren't approved buddy, but, I think we can let it slide this once, you seem to know what you're doing. XD

post-2-0-41908200-1322656789.png

It's all good. Continue with your regularly schedule Arr Peez.

I'm archiving the ekphrasis of Ragnar's armour here - later I might write up a bit about why his armour is like this:

He begins to unwrap the packages, starting with the largest, inside is a shirt of finely wrought maile rolled and bound in twine, wrapped around the maile are the two halves of a flexible currias made of interlocking scales on a cloth backing. Putting the scales to one side, Ragnar holds up the shirt, letting it unroll, even on the tall warrior it is long enough to reach down to his knees and bellow his elbows, with a split front and back for ease of movement. The second package contains a pair of elbow-length leather gloves with leather thongs to tighten them, a match for his riding boots. The third and fourth packages contain matching cloth-backed segmented greaves and bracers made of three long metal strips acid-etched with knot-work along their lengths. The greaves have attached knee-caps and bracers have plates for the elbows and one to cover the backs of the hands.

Lastly, Ragnar pulls out the helm, the crown is made in a single round piece with a decorative ridge which extends down into a nose bar, the decorated cheek-pieces are separate and Ragnar attaches them with metal hinge-pins to the helmet bowl at the top and by hooks at the back to the maile mantle, so that when the cheek-pieces are closed they bring the edges of the mantle together beneath the throat. The crown of the helm has two writhing dragons etched upon it, one either side of the central ridge. There are two slots, one on each side just above cheek-pieces, to each of these Ragnar attaches a long black feather.

The whole suit is in a dark grey metal which is almost matte, it barely catches the light, with only a dull shine.

Ragnar lifts down his shield, which has sat unnoticed on Shadow's harness behind the saddle, it is just over two feet across, round, made of plywood faced in metal and backed in leather. The blazon is a red background, a large black circle containing a white triple-circle

Ragnar works methodically to unwrap and assemble his armour, "Right, well most of this I can manage myself, but I'll need help with the gauntlets, the bracers and some of the curriass straps."