• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
laxon

Fireplace

Guest theinfamouskat

Dominic walked up to the Fireplace, Dove turning and clapping her hands ecstatically. "Yay! You came back! Did the man get in trouble for me? I hope he did. Would love to put that in story."

Dominic said nothing, gripping his mug with both hands. He motioned with his head for Aradhel to follow him away from the fireplace.

She frowned. "What?"

He just motioned again, and started toward the Sun Table, surprisingly empty.

[Dominic has left the Fireplace.]

Aradhel got a prickling feeling on the back of her neck. He is vulnerable. He is easily frightened. He is easily manipulated. There is no way he could know - unless Reina...No. Unlikely. But...he's not himself. He looks like he's waiting for the axe to fall. Bad. Very, very bad.

On the other hand...he's Legion. Play nice. It could be nothing...

"I'll ask him," she told dove, standing. "Looks like he wants to talk to me."

[Aradhel has left the fireplace]

Dove curled her feet up underneath her, resting her chin in her hands. "Something not right. Is not wearing Legion sword anymore. Smells of fear. Not acting like renegade, yet...Am worried. Am very worried."

She watched them talk in quiet voices until Aradhel's shoulders went suddenly stuff with tension. The Wood Elf glanced over at the fireplace.

"Oh, oh..." Dove said softly, "The story continues. Will be back."

[Dove has left the Fireplace.]

OOC Edit: Just adding in the extra stuff. :blink:

Edited by Amadaun

Guest theinfamouskat

Darion plopped himself down in front of the fireplace, wiping at his eyes with the heel of his hand. He hugged the book even tighter. He'd promised his father he wouldn't get scared, even if he saw the Bad Man who hurt him. In truth, he wasn't scared of the Bad Man. He was scared because the book said he should be scared, that the Bad Man was someone strong, someone to be afraid of.

Darion felt his lips quivering and clenched his jaw shut tightly. He didn't like how strong the Bad Man was. It had made his head hurt when he sat down beside him. He was too strong.

Your father is stronger.

Darion shook his head, lowering his face so that his nose rested on the top of the book. "I want to go home."

You still have work to be done.

"I don't want to play this game anymore," Darion whispered, watching as the patrons moved around him, passing the fireplace or outright ignoring him. "Everyone's older than me and they think I'm lost." He paused and added, "except for the colorful lady. She was nice."

She is a liar.

Darion frowned. "No, she wasn't. Her book was a trick, like the street magicians... it makes things appear and stuff. Just a trick."

She is a liiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaar.

"Hey, fellow," Dorothy said, balancing a tray on one shoulder. "You okay?"

Darion was well-aware his face was splotchy with tears, but he nodded.

"You sure?"

Yes.

"Yes," Darion echoed. "I'm alright now." The lady started to walk away, and Darion gave a little gasp. He'd left his drink at the other table. "Oh!" He reached into his pocket, fumbling with the contents for the right coin. "Can I have another lemonade?"

Dorothy waved her hand at him, chuckling. "Keep your money kid, it's on the house." She adjusted her grip on her tray. "You want sugar on the rim?"

Darion nodded excitedly.

"You want any berries in it?"

Darion thought a moment. "Blueberries."

Dorothy smiled. "That's my favorite, too."

"Really?"

"Really."

She's a liiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaar...

Darion frowned behind his book, hugged it a little tighter. Dorothy winked at the boy. "I'll bring that right out."

Edited by theinfamouskat

Dove slid over next to Darion. "All right, yes?"

"Yeah..."

Dove wasn't quite sure she believed him, but she nodded anyway. Then a thought struck her. "Oh! Might want to be careful of book here." She nodded at the fire, and then held up the scorched edge of her skirt. "Spits sparks sometimes. Should keep close."

She bit her lip when the boy only looked at her out of the corner of his eye. "Um...would like to hear a story?" she offered hopefully. "Know lots of stories."

OOC: I hope Dove never finds out that the book called her a liar. She takes the truth very seriously, if you'll recall.

Guest theinfamouskat

Darion, against his--or rather the Book's--better judgement gave a little nod. He leaned against Dove and sniffed hard. "I like stories."

Guest theinfamouskat

[OOC: I worry about little Darion! I think not having a woman in the home and having a father who is so... far drawn from normal mortal society has muddled the kid's brain. And carrying around a book that... well, I'm not sure WHAT it does yet, but... *sniff* DARION JUST WANTS TO BE LOVED!!]

[OOC_EDIT:

OOC: I hope Dove never finds out that the book called her a liar. She takes the truth very seriously, if you'll recall.

*imagines Darion telling Dove, "My book says you're a liar," then imagines Dove screeching, "WHAT?!" Dove picks up book and flings it across the room into the bar where it hits Drubin.* :tv_happy: ]

Edited by theinfamouskat

"Good, good." Dove opened a new pouch and pulled out a small bundle of fur. She held it out to Darion. "Know what this is?"

He sniffed and took it. "It's a rabbit's foot. My da says that foolish people think they're lucky."

"Well, can be sometimes, I suppose. Not always for rabbit." She poked the foot. "Rabbit stew awfully good."

"I've had that. It's hard to get in the city, though."

"Well, this story about rabbit stew. See, once was two men. Both decide to go out hunting one day. So off they go, through tall grass and trees, and aha!" She pointed at the foot. "Both see a nice big rabbit.

"Now, important thing - they not go hunting together. So imagine surprise when both shoot, run over to get game, and...another arrow!" Dove crinkled up her face. "Of course, argue. Both want rabbit for supper that night. Can't decide who gets it. If one had missed, then wouldn't be a problem. So have big fight."

"That's silly." Darion cuddled a little closer. "It's just one rabbit."

Dove nodded. "Were silly men. Go and argue all through the day until night falls. Could have gone out and gotten new rabbit, but noooo... So, now is dark. And both stuck out in the wilderness. So decide to make camp together. Find a good place, right close to a Wayshrine."

The boy tugged on her sleeve. "This isn't going to be one of those sharing stories, is it? I'm too old for those."

She smiled, and shook her head. "Nope. Is better." She slipped her arm around his shoulder. "Now, two men are sitting at camp, still arguing as they cut up rabbit and cook it. Each says that other has no right to eat stew. So finally, one man says, 'Look, we'll let Akatosh decide.' That was the wayshrine they were at, you see. Man says, 'We'll go to sleep. Whoever deserves the rabbit, well, Akatosh will give them a beautiful dream. The one with the best dream gets the stew when we wake up.

"Other man agrees, and down they lie. Of course, both really hungry. So sleep not come easily. But they do. In morning, they wake up. 'So,' says second man, 'I had the most wonderful dream last night. I dreamt that Akatosh himself came down and lead me up to Aetherius. It was beautiful. There were flowers, and music, and everyone was singing. I swear, I didn't want to come back. Surely Akatosh meant for me to have the rabbit. What did you dream?'

"'Well,' first man says, 'Oddly enough, I had almost the same dream. I saw you going all the way up to Aetherius and I sat and waited, and waited for you to come back. Finally, I decided that you obviously weren't, so I ate the stew.'" Dove giggled. "And sure enough, pot was completely empty! Really hope that first man had head start!"

OOC: I am slightly disturbed that the book has become the Book. Sudden capitalization is rarely a good thing.

Guest theinfamouskat

[OOC: I'm worried about it, too. I'm worried it's one of those books that if he leaves it somewhere, he'll come home and it will magickally be on his bed. I missed you. Why did you leave me? *shudders* I really DON'T like the Book. :afrightned:]

Darion giggled and settled against her arm. He gnawed on his lower lip for a long moment, thinking. "Is it a true story?"

"Believe so. Was told story by the man who lost the rabbit." She held up a finger. "Usually, if story told is embarrassing to person telling it, is true. Because people not like looking bad. Will make up stories to make selves look good, but not bad. Story makes other man look much smarter."

Darion shifted a little. "But could he have lied anyway?"

Dove tilted her head to the side, thinking. "Is always possible. Didn't know man very well, so wouldn't know if he was truthful man or not. Would hope he was." She sighed and shook her head. "Lying on a story - very bad thing. Is very important to get it all right. Otherwise, might forget."

Dorothy brought over the glass of lemonade, winking at Darion when she handed it to him. "Enjoy your drink."

Guest theinfamouskat

Darion let the Book drop into his lap as he reached out both hands for the lemonade. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome," she said.

He smiled as Dorothy hurried to deliver drinks to another table. The rim of the glass was crystalized with sugar, and the blueberries were perfect. It was his new favorite, even if it wasn't Dorothy's.

He took special care to not set his drink on his Book, but he didn't want to put in on the hearth either. It would get too warm. He put the drink down on the stone floor below him.

"Good?" Dove asked.

Darion nodded enthusiastically. He sat, running his hands over the Book for a long moment. He leaned out past Dove, looking at the Sun Table. "The Bad Man... do you know him?"

Dove frowned. "Bad Man?" She looked "MacGrath?"

Darion nodded, still rubbing his Book. "Who is he?"

Edited by theinfamouskat

"Am...not really sure. Has some kind of curse on him that makes him not die, I think. Not nice curse at all, from what overheard. And is very, very good at illusion. Can do pretty funny stuff with that, like make ears look really big, or grow new eye."

Dove sighed. "Really not sure about anything more though. Have been following different story since I got here, so only know what overheard. Have only watched." She looked down at Darion. "Why call him 'Bad Man'? He do something to you? Did curse hurt someone you know?"

Guest theinfamouskat

No. "No." I just don't like him. "I just don't like him."

Good.

Darion went back to hugging the Book, bringing folding his legs together. He sat for a long moment before looking back up at Dove. "Have you ever told a lie?"

OOC: Holy crap, that book is freaking me out.

Dove thought very hard about that one. Very, very hard. "Can remember...once. When was younger than you. Was scolded for doing something bad. Blamed someone else." She shook her head. "Was supposed to be training as Storyteller even then. Because of that..."

She looked down at her lap. "Storytellers not lie. Ever. What we say is truth. All believe it to be truth. If enough people believe lie, then lie can become truth. So when I lied, everyone believed. Except my teacher. He knew was lie. But was too late. Teacher never let me forget. And so, never lied again after that. Learned power of words."

"What...what happened to the person you blamed?" Darion's voice was a little shaky.

"Was sent out to gather some herbs. Wasn't supposed to be bad punishment. Was just simple chore." Dove began gnawing on her knuckle. "Dark got him. Lost his arm. Had been me, would maybe have been able to get away. Had my training. Because of lie, wasn't me. Should have been. So never lie now." She shuddered, briefly. "Never."

Guest theinfamouskat

Darion hugged his book for a moment.

She's a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii--

He shoved the book off his lap, throwing his arms around the girl. His voice was shaky, and he was trembling. "I'm sorry about your friend," he whimpered, burying his face in her arm.

[OOC: I'm... still not sure what the book is. It's becoming clearer. It's almost like a leash Moriva can keep Darion on... Nothing like the claws he has in his Inquisitors, but... still. Once I figure out EXACTLY what the book is, I'll let you know. All I know thus far is this:

1- It tells him what he needs to know. The book is able to take on whatever form Darion wants in terms of the script contained within. It's a whole library in a single book. The catch?

2- The catch is that the book has a tendency to show him what it WANTS to have shown. It has a censor of sorts that has left the boy's idea of good and evil slightly askewed, and I don't even think Moriva knows how independantly the book thinks.

3- I think initally the book was loyal to Moriva. Now I'm not so sure.

And... thats really it. :afrightned:]

Guest J_Slr

OOC: Can you at least confirm that the magic binding it, is neither Necrotic nor Chaotic? If it is either Macgrath is probably going to grab it and leave the Inn, probably never to be seen again! :tongue:

Guest theinfamouskat

OOC: *ponders* I... don't think so. I think it's old. VERY old. Possibly Aelyid, possibly older. Either way, I think it was once a treasure, but now? Now I think the book has a mind of it's own. Moriva could have possibly given the boy the book as a gift, thinking it nothing more than an amazing library in a single volume that would recognize and respect Moriva and Darion as it's owners. In all actuality, that's probably more likely than it being something sinister. The book itself has become sinister not through Moriva's doing, but on it's own. At some point, the book is going to have to be destroyed.

I just worry it'll kill the poor kid's psyche. He's had the thing since he was... probably five or so. Maybe four?

Either way, I DON'T LIKE THE BOOK.]

Guest J_Slr

Approaching the fireplace carefully Macgrath saw the child, with his face buried in Dove's arm.

In a gently tone, he said to the child, "Tell me child, what have I done to you, that you hate me as you do?"

{OOC: Hmmm.... I fear Macgrath is one of those people that never could grasp the finer art of subtlety}

Edited by J_Slr

Guest theinfamouskat

Darion glanced at the man, then buried his face back into Dove's arm.

[OOC: Poor shyling! I worry MacGrath's not going to get anything from the boy.]

"A moment." Dove laid her hand on Darion's head and said to the boy, "Has been a long time, and he has healed. Teacher has helped him. Will never be the same, but think have healed. As well as can be expected." She squeezed him tight. "I thank you for your words. I will tell them to my friend when I return home."

She looked up at Macgrath then, and gave a helpless shrug. "Said you did nothing to him. Just doesn't like you. I asked." She suddenly looked worried. "Was all right I told him?"

The boy nodded, but didn't look up.

"Am sorry." Her eyes flicked from Darion to Reina, and then to Macgrath for confirmation, placing a finger against her lips for a split second.

Just nod or shake head, please! Don't want to upset all more than already are...

Guest J_Slr

Macgrath caught the look and gave a very small nod. Then sitting down cross legged he said to Darion, "Well there must be a reason you do not like me! Do I smell funny?"

Guest J_Slr

OOC: ok I need to go to bed, so Macgrath is going to sit there and see if he can get Darion to talk to him, if that becomes abundantly clear it will not happen, he will sit quietly staring into the fire....

Guest theinfamouskat

[OOC: Have a good sleep!! ...or perhaps hope you slept well! If you read this when you wake up, of course. :tongue:]

Darion did his best not to smile, but didn't manage very well. He shook his head.

MacGrath smiled. "Well, it must have been something."

Darion heard the book grumbling beside him something. Something important. He pulled his sleeve down over his hand and pushed the book away slightly. "No..."

"Then why would you yell at me?"

Darion examined his shoes, suddenly very interested in the lacing on his tiny boots. "Mm-hm," he muttered, shrugging.

MacGrath reached over, touseling the boy's hair. "Well, whatever it is, it's alright." When the little boy finally looked at him, he raised an eyebrow and added, "we can be friends if you like."

Darion smiled a little, trying to keep it from showing. "Maybe." His shyness flared up again and he buried his face against Dove's arm with a sigh. He looked up at her, staring off at another table worriedly. He followed her gaze to the woman across the room. Reina? He thought that was her name--the one that the book had drawn.

He tugged on Dove's sleeve, breaking her focus and returning her attention to him. "Why are you sad?"

[OOC: He's mistaking her sadness for worry. *face melting cuteness* I can't stand this kid!! *huggles the fictional boy*

NOTE: he didn't make physical/skin-to-skin contact with the book. Right now, the book is probably screaming something or other about Reina, but he's liking talking to REAL people, rather than the book.

OOC_EDIT: :blink: just realized something... Dominic and Venos will probably get about half-way through their conversation when they realize the Executioner's son is there. MASSIVE "OH FUCK." moment for the Legionnaires...]

Edited by theinfamouskat

OOC: Gah! So Cute!

If you hear a *snap*, that's the sound of my brain shifting without a clutch from switching between Chayka/Moriva and Dove/Darion. The contrast is just...Gah!

Will pick this up again in some hours. Must scoot.

Sign in to follow this