• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Onasaki

To Ferelden

The two would emerge into a field, surrounding a rickety wooden building looking on the verge of collapsing any day now; the sun is shining downwards onto the two of them. With a road stretching just a few kilometers towards a large looking city, bustling in the distance. Several soldiers can be seen coming and going up and down the road.

The building behind them, a squat burnt-out creation, looking as if it hadn't been used in years and years.

"Um.. I have a feeling we're not in the Inn anymore..Or.. anywhere near it, sir." Cade piped up, turning to look at Ragnar. "And.. this doesn't look like the forest outside of Dublin where I entered."

Edited by Amadaun

"No... I'd say this isn't Cyrod either, or anywhere in the Empire," Ragnar looks around for something, "A ha! Ho! Shadow"

Ragnar's horse, a seventeen-hand dappled grey courser, whines and trots over towards the pair, coming right up to the warrior and nuzzling his shoulder. Rubbing the horse's nose and murmuring comforting nonsense to him Ragnar scratches Shadow under the chin before throwing his saddlebags over the horse's shoulders.

"Cade, meet Shadow, my long time traveling companion. Shadow, meet Cade, our new friend."

Cade blinked, and took an idle step backwards as the horse approached. "I.. er.." he starts, falling still for a moment as he lifts a hand to wave. "Um.. nice.. nice to meet you." His eyes dart towards Ragnar, "Um.. did.. did I mention, I've never.. rode before? On a horse. We.. hardly saw them back home, only when traders came by, to barter."

He shivers at the thought, one hand leaping to the cross pendant on his neck. "...and.. my brothers pulled a very.. um.. horrible prank with me.. regarding horses."

Ragnar raises an eyebrow, "Oh they did? Well, Shadow is a courser, not a destrier, he's tough and strong but he was trained to be solid not aggressive. Here, give me your hand," Ragnar holds out his left hand for Cade's right, "here, stand to his left hand side, just here."

Ragnar takes Cade's hand firmly but gently and places it on the side of the horse's nose, at the same time he continues to scratch the horse under the chin, "see Lad, he's a herd animal - he knows me and I know you, so he'll let you touch him. I garentee he's more nervous than you are, he's going to pick up your jitters and think there's something scary around you're afraid of, because there's no reason for you to be scared of him. Alright? Now, one more thing right off. Horses are prey animals, they have their eyes on the side of their heads so they can see left and right, that means they have a blind spot right in front of their nose, so always stand to the left or right of them."

Edited by Sigurd Stormhand

"Ri..right." Cade's voice cracked suddenly, falling higher then usual, his hand touches the horse and he tenses slightly. Only for it to fall away quickly, "..I guess it helps.. that.. I don't have hay stuffed down my trousers this time.." Cade mused, sounding a little more optimistic.

Ragnar can't stifle his chuckle, "let me guess? they stuck you in the stable and the horse tried to eat it out of your trousers? Ahh, that could have been a lot worse, believe me," Ragnar looks over towards the road at the guards on patrol, "I most certainly do not recognise those uniforms. I think the best thing is for us to ride double, we'll say you're my squire and your horse fell and broke a leg. That will help to explain your nerves. We'll need to get you your own animal sooner or later though. Carrying both of us will wear Shadow out."

Ragnar ties his claymore's scabbard to to a pair of loops on Shadow's saddle, then he ties his sword belt about his waist, settling the longer blade on his left hip and the shorter on his right, the dagger he hangs behind the long sword. Looking at the open sky above Ragnar removes his oil-cloak, rolls it and ties it behind the saddle, then he mounts. Once he is secure and has his balance he looses his left foot from the stirrup and leans over to offer Cade his left hand.

"Right then, just put your foot in the stirrup, grab my hand and try not to be too heavy. Ready?"

Cade blushed, "Um.. something like that.." he says quietly, glancing at the ground for a moment. He then reaches out and grabs Ragnar's hand, but not before lifting his foot into the stirrup.

"Wait.. Squire?" the teen's eyes lit up.

With a grunt and a heave Ragnar pulls Cade up behind him as the teen pushes with his foot, "Don't get too exited, a squire's main duty involves putting his master' armour in a sack full of sand and swinging it around his head - and polishing boots, I used to hate polishing Sir Hrothgar's boots."

Ragnar touches his heels to the horse's flanks and Shadow moves off at a gentle walk towards the road.

"Anyway, I thought I told you not to be too heavy..."

Ragnar angles Shadow towards the road, and once they reach it he turns the horse towards the city in the distance. Riding down the left-hand side of the roadway Ragnar sets a gentle pace, as much to avoid attention as to save Cade's nerves. Eventually they come upon a patrol of soldiers, Ragnar draws the horse up and hails their sergeant with a raised hand, palm open.

The sergeant is presented with a well dressed, and heavily armed, man of middle years in knee-high riding boots, leggings, green shirt and leather jerkin riding double with a nervous youth upon a large dappled grey warhorse.

"Ho, friend! We're outlanders, and we're quite lost. My squire's horse got its foot caught in a rabbit hole, and as you can see we're a might indisposed now. Tell me, what city is that over yonder?"

"I'm not that heavy." Cade muttered, a little annoyed. As they began to move, the teen froze, and held on for dear life as they drifted down the road. When they approached the sergeant on the road, Cade opened his mouth to speak; but quickly closed it as the older man started.

The sergeant is a younger man, about mid-to-late twenties, though his gaze seemed to think he'd seen alot more. He squinted at the two men on the horse, watching them closely; though a calm smile crossed his face.

"Outlanders you say? Well, s'long as your aren't Orlesian, you're good in my books." the sergeant mused, "Though.." he squints at Cade, "For a squire your boy there, seems oddly dressed..."

"Orlesian? No, certainly not.", Ragnar modulate his voice so that he sounds offended but not absurdly outraged, "No, we're from a bit further afield than that. The boy's new," Ragnar leans forward and whispers to the sergeant, "I know he looks a bit wet, but he's cleverer than the last one, he knows not to tup one of my sister's maids. I had to whip the boy out my hall, and I still haven't heard the end of it."

Ragnar straightens and addresses the soldier formally again, "Now, the city over the way looks civilised but I know it not. Can you tell me, which place is that?"

"Ah yeah." The soldier chuckled again, "That'd be Redcliffe, serrah. Arl Eamon's taken ill, though, might be better to take turn and head down to Denerim. Though, if you're really strapped on supplies, just follow this road north. You'll come to the city."

"Ah, well I can see you've got your own troubles, the lad needs a new horse though, and probably a new pair of boots. So I'm for stopping I'm afraid. One more question; do you know a half honest horse trader in the Redcliffe?"

OOC: We are progressing faster than you girls, we'll be in Redcliffe tomorrow, how long did it take you to get to Vos?

Also, As soon as we're away from this sergeant Ragnar's armouring up, I don't trust you, beguiling witch-woman that you are.

OOC: *signs petition too, quietly, and ahems. >.>*

"Should be one up there, can't promise he'll be honest, though. Redcliffe's got it's own problems, like I said, you'd be best goin' to Denerim." the Sarge shrugs, "Anyway, good day t'you, then. And be careful, there's word of a Blight down south, near the Wilds, if you do get that far."

"Alright, we'll be careful, and we won't be in your neck of the woods longer than we need to be. Thanks to you for the friendly warning."

Ragnar turns the horse back on to the path to Redcliffe, once they are out of earshot of the sergeant Ragnar turns his head so he can speak to Cade quietly.

"You were listening? I don't know what a Blight is, but I'd wager it's more than crop death. They had something called a Blight in Morrowind a few years back - very, very nasty and very deliberate. If it's anything like that we may have landed in big trouble. So here's the plan, get into Redcliffe, find you a horse, then find a tavern, listen quietly and find out what's happening.

Also, I don't want to enter the city like this, so we're heading over to that stand of trees, where I'm going to open up these saddle bags and get properly dressed up. You'll have to walk then, I'm quite bulking in my armour."

"It doesn't sound good.. in the least bit, anyway." Cade said, glancing backwards towards the sergeant and nearly toppling off the horse. But he grabs at Ragnar's tunic to keep from falling. "Agh! Woah. Okay. I'm okay." he breathes, leaning forward.

"And.. I don't.. mind walking, sir. It's actually.. safer.. probably.." His voice cracks, suddenly, and causing him to blush a little bit. "Er.. Well. yeah." He paused then, then blinked. "Wait, armor?"

Ragnar looks back, "Well, look. You managed to turn in the saddle and not fall off. we'll make a cavalryman of you yet!"

Ragnar guides Shadow into the trees, he hlps Cade down then dismounts himself. Heaving the voluminous saddle bags off the horse he opens them and pulls out a series of packages wrapped in oil-cloth.

"This isn't exactly heavy plate, but I got a good look at those soldiers and I reckon we'll fit in better if people see an armoured knight and his servant than an old man and a boy on a horse.

Ragnar strips off his sword belt and hands it to Cade, "here, hold these. If I shout I'll want the short sword."

He begins to unwrap the packages, starting with the largest, inside is a shirt of finely wrought maile rolled and bound in twine, wrapped around the maile are the two halves of a flexible currias made of interlocking scales on a cloth backing. Putting the scales to one side, Ragnar holds up the shirt, letting it unroll, even on the tall warrior it is long enough to reach down to his knees and bellow his elbows, with a split front and back for ease of movement. The second package contains a pair of elbow-length leather gloves with leather thongs to tighten them, a match for his riding boots. The third and fourth packages contain matching cloth-backed segmented greaves and bracers made of three long metal strips acid-etched with knot-work along their lengths. The greaves have attached knee-caps and bracers have plates for the elbows and one to cover the backs of the hands.

Lastly, Ragnar pulls out the helm, the crown is made in a single round piece with a decorative ridge which extends down into a nose bar, the decorated cheek-pieces are separate and Ragnar attaches them with metal hinge-pins to the helmet bowl at the top and by hooks at the back to the maile mantle, so that when the cheek-pieces are closed they bring the edges of the mantle together beneath the throat. The crown of the helm has two writhing dragons etched upon it, one either side of the central ridge. There are two slots, one on each side just above cheek-pieces, to each of these Ragnar attaches a long black feather.

The whole suit is in a dark grey metal which is almost matte, it barely catches the light, with only a dull shine.

Ragnar lifts down his shield, which has sat unnoticed on Shadow's harness behind the saddle, it is just over two feet across, round, made of plywood faced in metal and backed in leather. The blazon is a red background, a large black circle containing a white triple-circle

Ragnar works methodically to unwrap and assemble his armour, "Right, well most of this I can manage myself, but I'll need help with the gauntlets, the bracers and some of the curriass straps."

Sign in to follow this