• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Onasaki

To Ferelden

Cade nearly fell when he dismounted, but with Ragnar's help managed to get down, with a few bumps. Sliding down, he caught his balance against a nearby tree, adjusting his hat and coat a little bit. Though, the weather here seemed a lot more warmer then it had been in Dublin, and he was feeling the heat, just from the little ways they went. Shrugging off his Exorcist Coat, suddenly a small bat-shaped object came flying out.

"Ah! Bloody hell! I forgot about you..." he called out to the thing, as it flew back to him. Grabbing it out of the air, he pressed a button atop it, it whirred once then shut off. "I'll turn you back on later..not like you'd get much reception here, anyway."

Spinning around, he damn near fainted when he saw the armor, his eyes went wide and his mouth fell agape.

The metals.

The designs.

The sheer craftsmanship, and just the armor itself.

His voice caught into his throat, as he stared, watching as it's unfurled and withdrawn, then put on. "I--..That.. it.." he stuttered, staring like fanboy who'd just witnessed the target of his fandom. His hand fell to his heart, which was pounding a mile a second, he swallowed hard; keeping his balance just barely by leaning on the tree.

"..Oh.. dear Lord.." he blurted out, "..I--"

With that he was gone. On the ground, face-first.

Edited by Onasaki

"Ah, well that's a good start."

When Cade awakens some time later his is lying down with his feet slightly elevated pointing towards a tree-trunk and his head resting on his rolled up coat, which forms an impromptu pillow. Ragnar is nearby, fully armoured, sans melm, and struggling to tighten the straps on his bracers one handed.

"Ah, feeling better? Fat lot of help you were, if you do something like that again you might hit a rock and break your head. Now, do you think you can come over here and give me a hand with these buckles?"

"Blasted things."

Cade groaned, bringing his hand to his head, and running it down his face. "..what..happened?" he asked, suddenly, blinking, and looking around. He was on the ground, clearly, still in the same clearing they'd stopped in. The horse stood nearby, and his eyes drifted along before falling onto Ragnar again. His voice caught into his throat.

"I.." he paused, swallowing and taking a breath. "..sorry.. sir.. I..I've waited my whole life to see a knight..And.. I never thought--" he cuts himself off, and comes to his feet, quickly. "Y-yessir. Right.. Umm.." he moves forward, and goes about helping with the bracers. "What...exactly do I do here? I've.. only.. read.. mostly biblical stories, and a few fantasy stories..They.. they don't real--" his voice cracks suddenly, falling higher then usual. "..really explain how to put on armor."

Guest FloorBelow

The light was blinding, It shouldn't have been - the rain was damn near torrential when he had arrived, and there's no way it could've cleared up in the last, um, the last- while he'd been inside. Couldn't have been more than an hour, could it? Not long enough for this rain to clear, at any rate. But, by the Thrice-shattered cup of Uru the Elder, it had. And the light was blinding. Otar stumbled out, rubbing his eyes. The air was different, too. Warmer, and drier, amost like a whole new world.

Slowly, the light grew less intense,and he opened his eyes.

"..."

Otar slumped back against the inn wall, eyes fixed straight ahead.

"What."

"It's not very complicated, it's a strap, it needs to be tight enough that the bracer doesn't slide around but loose enough that it doesn't restrict the bloodflow," Ragnar holds out his left hand to Cade, inside up, "I see that you're not familiar with this sort of thing, but from the look of those soldiers you need to get used to it."

"R-right. Yessir." Cade said, swallowing some as he fiddled with the buckles. The first couple tries, Ragnar would notice, one was too loose, one too tight, then finally it as perfect as he could get it. "Um.. you also s-said I needed new boots? Why?"

---

Aedan emerged from the Inn, a little after Otar; tugging on his blanket a little bit he squinted in the sudden brightness of the sun and winced a little. In the sunlight, his features were probably more apparent then they'd have been. His eyes, faintly glowing a dim green color, and black veins criss-crossing about his slightly cracked flesh. With a subtle movement, the veins vanish beneath his skin, he becomes less paler, and his eyes flicker a moment before returning to complete normalcy.

"..how did.." the boy whispered, glancing to his sword.

Don't ask questions, Braidy. It's another gift from Father, one to allow you to blend in. A reflex, simply think about it, and you'll look like a normal.. impure little boy again. However your powers are diminished.. not by much, but enough to where it fosters mentioning. You'll still be able to fight, clearly, but your connection to the negative plane.. is.. faded. Understand? The sword hissed, the black arcs surrounding it fading to occasional sparks.

"..not really.." Aedan admitted, frowning. "I can't use dat lightning stuff?"

Yes, leave it at that. At least, not unless you're in serious danger...Trust me. The sword whispered, the runes glowing faintly then fading as well.

"Um.. 'kay.." Aedan shrugged, and then turned back towards Otar, stepping up to him and tugging on his shirt. "Is dis dat Sky place you were talkin' 'bout?"

With a supreme effort Ragnar allows only the smallest amount of irritation to show, "You need riding boots, and a tunic and a jerkin. If you're going to be my squire you need to look the part - that means you need proper traveling clothes for a horseman, what you've got on's clearly for walking and it's far too distinctive. You don't look like a local, or like someone from my household, so we need to fix that."

Ragnar flexes his fingers in his gauntlet, "see that's not too hard. You managed to tighten that up just fine. Looking wide eyed is fine, nobody will be surprised to see a youth trailing around after his master on his first trip away from home, but you need to be dressed for it. We've got other problem too - money being the biggest. Gold and silver are good most places I ever heard of, let alone had to trade in, but a lot of foreign currency attracts attention. So I need to find a goldsmith or a money changer who'll take coin at cost, and he'll cheat me by I don't know how much."

"So, plenty to do and we'd best get started." He looks at Cade critically, "you look well enough now. Do you feel up to walking into the city?"

"Y-yeah. I think.. I think so.. Yessir." Cade says, swallowing a little. He was here. He was living his dream.. All that he needed now was to look the part, right? How hard could that be?

"..Yessir, lets get going."

"Right you are, we'd best be off", Ragnar throws a red riding cloak over his shoulders and fastens it with a copper pin. In that moment, as the cloth settles about his broad shoulder Cade is offered a brief glimpse of the fearsome, primal, warrior beneath the affable midlleaged man, then it is gone.

Ragnar moves to a nearby ash tree and draws his dagger, the blade flares briefly with its enchantment before it bites into the word. With two cuts he has severed a fair-sized branch, he quickly strips it and trims it, then tosses the staff to Cade.

"Catch"

With practiced movement, Cade caught the staff quickly and adeptly. He flashes a faint grin, "Not.. entirely useless, sir." he says, though coughs faintly, glancing back down to the ground as he leans on the staff. "So, I guess we're off to Redcliffe.." he says, turning towards the road. "I should get a journal while we're there too..."

"To make a record of this, obviously!" the teen says, "Noone'll believe me if I come back without proof. Except maybe Lena-Lee, and maybe Allan, but they listen to everyone.." he explains, then sighs, scratching the back of his head. "..is it..really that stupid of an idea?"

"Stupid? No, just unexpected, I didn't take you for a bard. You'll need to buy crayons too, there's no telling where we're going and how often we'll be able to get ink."

"If you want proof though, you'll have to kill something exciting and take it back." He winks.

"Bard? I took writing lessons in Church. My.. um.. father's idea. Probably one of the only ones that I actually liked.." Cade says quietly, shifting his coat, "Charcoal works too..But.. that's.." he chuckles faintly, "..that's another good idea too.."

OOC: I shit you not, crayons are a medieval thing.

"Aye, well I took charcoal on a trip when I was young. The dratted stuff gets everywhere, trust me, crayons are the way to go. Provided you don't leave them too close to the fire."

OOC: Geekiest barbarian warrior ever!.

OOC: Yeah, ink was made out of iron and oak galls, and egg. Charcoal would smudge and ink was too expensive to use for drafting and ruling, it's also hard to mix. I've seen manuscripts where the ink has been too acidic and eaten away at the vellum (which is much tougher than paper), in one instance it burned away all the letters on the page like a stencil.

Edited by Sigurd Stormhand

"Right you are, we'd best be off", Ragnar throws a red riding cloak over his shoulders and fastens it with a copper pin.

It's Little Red Riding Nord!

*flees from Ragnar*

"Well, we can probably find a stationer in that city somewhere, along with all the other things we need. So let's be off eh? Walk at the left side of the horse, near his head. Keep a firm grasp of that staff and if in doubt call someone 'master'"

Suiting action to words Ragnar remounts Shadow, pauses briefly to arrange his cloak over the horses back and hangs his helm from a hook on the saddle pommel.

"Ready to go?"

Cade gets into place, nodding. "Yessir." He says, taking the side of the reins. He took in a breath, and tried to look the part as best as he could.

Sign in to follow this