• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Morrigain

Airship

"Part of it's the language thing, part of it's them being Valenar, and part of it's - well, they have two rounds left, and by the gods are they going to finish those two rounds." Solana leaned back with her hands on the rail. Crazy elves and changelings aside, just a few minutes up in the wind and she was already feeling more relaxed. She could feel tension draining from her shoulders. This was home.

"Well, when they finish those rounds, I want to look at the runes." Temvi ran a hand over the railing. "Tell me, is this all powered by the elemental, or are there mechanical parts to this thing as well?"

Solana gestured toward the stern. "There's the few sails to assist with steering, but without the elemental this ship would never get off the ground. Or move forward. At all." She chewed on her lip. "If you really want to look at the runes, they converge at the wheels, but..."

"But...don't touch anything," she muttered lamely, motioning the three of them toward the stern and away from the fighting elves. "And don't expect deep technical answers. I don't know how they all work, that's what I have Roland and Annet for."

"I'd learn it if I were you," Temvi told her, nearly tripping over Lethe as they walked under the fire. "I wouldn't like to be in charge of something like this without knowing everything about it. Almsivi."

"Trust me, I'm working on it. I'm young. I'm just hopeless at magic, that's all." Solana led them up a couple short flights of steps to the point where all the runes came together to spiral around both the wheels. Everything was firmly roped into place. She stepped up to show how it worked - one at her front, the other perpendicular to that at her right hand, and a series of levers at her left. "X-axis, Y-axis, speed," she said, indicating each in turn and trying to stay nonchalant. "Very simple. See, there's those two bronze markers at sixty, seventy-five and eighty-five degrees on either side of the prow -" she pointed - "and also at the corresponding position on this railing if it's low visibility, just in case, but that's not nearly as accurate. And this wheel's got all the angles marked on it, so - am I boring you?"

OOC: Someone's fangirling. :laugh:

Edited by Morrigain

"N-No," Temvi murmured, staring. "Not at all. Go on." She realized her hands were shaking and she slipped one into the folds of her robe and one into Lethe's hand. "Please."

"So...the other wheel's the same, you can see height-marks down on the forward cabins there, but it's obviously a lot less intuitive. Though there's a scholar working with us who's proposed that we Sharrans are better at it because our minds work in three dimensions already. Sooo...there's also a direct link to the elemental for height here..." she moved her hand a few inches further to the right to touch a smaller wheel, lightly. A few of the runes at her feet glowed. "That doesn't need much more than a touch, see, and one of the safety features on this ship is that that'll take you up a lot easier than it'll take you down. But I really only use that in bad weather. And thrust is..." Smiling, she tapped a few of the levers, shifting her feet as different runes briefly lit up in turn all down the deck. "Incredibly simple. And here's your emergency brake...I can open up and close off channels on the elemental if I need more power or if the runes are starting to burn...And since I've got a Mark of Storm I can work with the wind currents to make everything run much more smoothly...the only things I can't do from up here are the auxiliary sails I mentioned - that's what some of the rigging behind me and along the railings is -" she pointed - "or completely open up the elemental. Which will give you a few minutes of power to absolutely scream away from whatever's chasing you but will probably destroy the ship when that's up. You need at least four people for that. Though of course for some of the regular maneuvers you still want a mage to help by throwing up an anti-gravity field or something. The built-in one only goes so far."

OOC: :blink:

Don't you love it when characters come up with things like this?

Edited by Morrigain

OOC: :laughing2dw: Tis awesome. Annoying when they know more than you do, but awesome.

"M-may I-?" Temvi cleared her throat, still shaking. "May I use a levitation spell to see the ship f-from above? And to look at the fire?"

"I'm fine. I've just...never seen anything like this, and I've walked the planes of Oblivion during the Crisis." Reaching out, she traced her hands over one of the runes. "I-I don't even know what they say."

"I have no idea," Solana murmured. She touched a few with her toe. "I know that these ones are involved with heat, and these ones and these ones do fine vertical movement, and these I have no clue, and this line looks completely different on a lightning ship, but...no idea. It's...apparently some kind of math? Or at least the way the runes all fit together and interact with each other is. I mean, I've seen some of Annet's notes, and they look more like equations than anything." She smiled weakly. "But I've no idea if that's how magic works in your world, either."

Edited by Morrigain

"There's some equation-work to spellmaking, so I might be able to understand it if I had a proper translation..." Crouching down, but not letting go of Lethe's hand, she began to trace the runes with a gloved finger. "Are these...inlaid, or put on with magic or what?"

"I'm quite happy down here," said Lethe absently, circling around the collection of wheels and levers to peer at it from all angles. She was still careful to not look at too much empty sky.

Solana nodded in agreement. Flying high in the air with a complete wildcard of a mage was...not the smartest idea. "I've seen airships from above before," she murmured, by way of excuse.

OOC: I tried to convince them but they were both having none of it.

*crash*

"Suit yourselves." Setting her pack to the side, Temvi waved a hand. Purple light swirled under her feet and she shot up into the air, heading straight for the circle of flames.

She stopped about ten feet away and began moving more slowly. Between her natural resistance and the charms and shields against fire she had in her clothing, she was...pretty sure she'd be safe. On the other hand...magical fire from an unknown source wasn't to be trifled with.

Carefully, she floated forward, reaching out.

The fire almost shied away from Temvi's hand.

Down on deck, Solana frowned at a few seldom-used runes that flickered along the railings. Lethe was squinting upwards, forgetting about the open space for a moment as she watched Temvi. "Why...what the hell is she doing?"

"Come on," she whispered, wishing that she had those elves - if they really could talk to the elemental. "I just want to feel you. That's all. I want to compare you. I'm not going to hurt you."

Still frowning, Solana squinted up at her and called "we've got everything shut down hard. Do you want me to open her up a bit?"

"Wondering if you could conviniently fry her to bits?" murmured Lethe.

"Not that I'd complain. Ow! That was my toe!"

Carefully, Solana tweaked a few levers and runes glowed to life as the elemental flickered, hissing louder, flames seeming to reach out. The sparring noises faltered only a moment as Vasanti and Oran looked up, checked that Solana was at the wheel, and resumed trying to mock-kill each other.

"Oh, you beauty." Temvi trailed her fingers through the fire. She didn't hate the fire, or fear it. It wasn't its fault, what it had done to her. She'd mastered it over the years to get over that early fear, and now she loved it as the rest of her people did.

The elemental's fire was sharp and biting like the Atronachs' - deeper and stronger than even magical fire. With a hiss, she pulled her hand back as she felt it nibbling at her shields. Refreshing her spells, she touched it again. "Is this the elemental itself?" she called down. "Or is this just a flame it fuels?"

Sign in to follow this