• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Amadaun

Questions

OOC@Chick: Hey, I did exactly what I was supposed to do! And I was in the shallow end when she jumped, so my hands are clean! And the little girl was fine btw. :smile:

OOC@Ama: I could teach you. *waggles eyebrows*

OOC@Silencer: Lirien's magic sputters/flickers/whatever shortly before it fails, and Miir can sense this. Like an epilepsy dog. It runs on Rule of Cool. Go with it. :cool:

No sooner had he turned around than Lirien found herself - quite suddenly - unable to breathe. Ohgods. She reached for the table to steady herself. No need to panic. I'm not bleeding out, nothing's missing, I'm not going to black out just yet. There's not even that much pain. Only a heavy crushing sensation around her neck and a few sharp, bright pinpricks on her throat and nape. In fact...

She tried again.

Ah. She could breathe, badly, and the air hurt on its way in. No problem. One hand fumbled for a potion while the other felt her neck. Judging from the soreness she knew the bruising had to be horrendous. Her fingers came away bloody - eight light, interlocking scratches on the back of her neck and two deeper ones in the hollow of her throat.

She made herself try to ask Hassildor if he wanted to examine anything - Blood running down my neck and a vampire in the room, ohgods, just my luck - but all that came out was a thin whine.

OOC: Couldn't resist.

OOC: Not much swimming to do at 8000 feet above sea level. :mrgreen:

"Fascinating." He walked forward, eyes fixed on her throat. "It's rather like the pulling tight and snapping of a harp string. The spell, I mean. At least, that's how it feels to me." He circled her, eyes flicking over the wounds. "If it's not too much trouble, could you pull your hair back so I able to see all of them?"

OOC: *chortles*

OOC: *consults with Lirien* *FWOOM!* You're becoming unhinged, sweetie. Remember what I told y- *FWOOM!* Point taken.

Lirien's eyebrows shot up to her hairline and she gulped. Which hurt like hell.

The pain wasn't bad, and she could breathe. Wheeze. Sort of. Enough. But...But...!

Rationalizing that she'd shoot sparks at him if he tried anything, she did as he asked.

"Thank you." Hassildor reached out with one hand, examining the gouges. "Hmm...perfectly fresh, no sign of old scarring...by all appearances, just now happened. No temporal disturbances I was able to sense." He pulled his hand away and licked the fingertip. "And precisely the same blood. Thank you, Miss Liren. That will do."

Stepping away, he reached for the still-steaming goblet, lifting it to his lips and taking a few swallows - very carefully not meeting her eyes.

Lirien drank the potion and sank down into a chair, taking deep breaths. She made a point of looking away from Hassildor.

It was a moment before she could talk again. She pushed down the urge to say something smart -I did warn you sprang to mind - it would be terribly impolite. It'd be better to pretend she didn't notice the goblet at all. For both of them.

She settled for a very empathetic "OW."

"Rather." The dry amusement was back in Hassildor's voice. "May I ask what you did to annoy a being with claws like that into strangling you?"

...lifted off her feet. Laughter. She'd clawed at his hands until her vision blurred black and the crack of her wing was white when she hit the ground. Crawling away, trying to, hands slipping on stone wet with slime and blood. More laughter as he caught her by the ankle...

"I don't remember," she said faintly.

She blinked several times and looked up. "Was that...useful? Did you learn anything?"

OOC: I amuse myself by imagining what the inside of each character's mind would look like in Chayka-land. Cara's is interesting and rather amusing. Aradhel's is just plain sad. Lirien's? Scary as fuck.

Guest theinfamouskat

OOC: I like that Reina's is rather empty and occasionally a desolate wasteland of sand. :biggrin: When I think about her as a character... that about sums it up.

Hassildor gave her a long, silent look and set down his goblet, walking back to the table of alchemy equipment. "I've managed to rule out any temporal displacement or odd curses. It is indeed a simple matter of healing spells and your body." He poured a bit of her blood into a smaller vial and touched a glowing finger to it. "To guess, it seems to be that your spells began to fail once you body took more damage than it could handle. Your flesh is weakening and cannot hold the fabric of the spell as it used to. The continued damage only serves to weaken it further.

"I wish I were able to see the magic more clearly - if these were different times, I might even request the help of a young enchanter I know. Quite sensitive to magicka, that one..."

OOC: Lirien's is rather "Oh, yay, nice happy childhood memory sunlight birds and flowers Mary Sue and *THUMP* Oh, we're in Cania now. Shit. Very desolate. Very cold. Very empty. Very cold. Very monotonous and unrelenting and flat and Mary Sue. And...is that...? ...OH HOLY FUCK NO. NO. NO. NO. NO."

OOC_ EDIT: Augh! Crosspost!

"If these were different times," Lirien repeated. Miir jumped into her lap and she scatched her under the chin absently. "You mean - Moriva? All the nightmares of a perfectly disguised lich with a stranglehold on your political system?"

"Ah..." Hassildor's eyebrow quirked. "precisely."

"Where is this enchanter?"

"The Arcane University, in the Imperial City - or else out in Morrowind with his family. But if I were to send you there..." He tapped a finger against the rim of an alembic. "There's a better one to help you. One Divayth Fyr. A Telvanni wizard lord of great age and power. He has done a goodly amount of research into the mortal body ? has even grown so-called ?daughters? out of his own flesh. I can give you a letter of introduction, and your unique physiology with likely pique his interest. If you're lucky. If you're unlucky, he'll keep you as a pet project with his corprus victims."

OOC: Thinking that won't go over well.

Lirien had bristled slightly at the words 'pet project.' The excitement she'd felt over the description of Fyr's powers vanished like smoke. She felt ill. I will not be some curiosity. I will not be 'kept.' Never.

"That's kind of you, but no," she said firmly. "I've always been rediculously unlucky. I'll try the Imperial City."

"Well, if you do go see this man, remember that he's young, and I don't think he's worked with enchanting living creatures." The vampire stroked his chin. "Perhaps an amulet or somesuch enchanted with a constant regeneration spell. Since you?ve not been to this world, you shouldn?t have built up a resistance to our magic yet. Indeed, if we are lucky, it may even stimulate your tissues to heal better on their own?"

He let his hand fall, face serious. "The Guild is currently under close scrutiny by Moriva as well. It may not be safe for you to go. Are you certain you do not wish to try Fyr? I can give you a letter of introduction...perhaps a Dwemer artifact to buy his attention? I would hate to see you - and your considerable powers - fall into Moriva's hands."

OOC: Check your pm box before you reply to this, Ama, mind. And I'm going to bed now. Or soon.

"Of course." She stroked Miir for a while, thinking.

"I've made a living off of politics and pulling strings where I'm not wanted," she murmured. She was almost talking to herself. "I think Moriva would have a hard time trying to catch me. Even with me like this." Her lips twitched. It had been a long time since she'd taken on a challenge, and if she wasn't so pressed for time...one last dance, last fireworks display...

No.

That wasn't the way to think at all.

She looked up from Miir. "I'll go to the City first, but would you mind writing the letter to Fyr as well? Just in case? There's no need for a...Dwemer...artifact. I'm sure I can find something that will interest him."

OOC: Gotcha.

"Ah well - if you'll give me some time, I shall put together everything you need. Letters to Telvanni Wizard-Lords are difficult to write. They're a...touchy bunch. Slightly insane. I can have it ready for you tomorrow morning?"

No. No, tomorrow morning won't do. I don't have any time. If you can't help me then I need to leave, I need to get to the Imperial City. I can't be wasting time waiting for a letter that might improve my chances of an audience with a mad scientist who may lock me up in a zoo...!

"That would be great," she said. She ushered Miir onto her shoulder. "You're sure it's not any trouble for me to stay the night?"

"None at all." She could hear the small smile in Hassildor's voice even as he riffled through some notes on his desk. "My staff are as used to unusual visotors as they are to my dining habits. They'll make sure you have everythiing you need."

"Thank you," she murmured. "I'll be with Dove if you have any questions."

Lirien showed herself out. A moment later there was a yelp, a loud thump, and some muffled swearing. After another moment of silence her voice drifted from down the hall.

"I'm sorry about the carpet..."

Dove looked up when Lirien walked in, holding up her hand. Something glittered on two of her fingers. "Pretty rings!" she announced happily. "See?"

Miir leaned out to look so far that she almost fell off Lirien's shoulder.

"They're beautiful," said Lirien, with genuine warmpth. "Red gold and silver. Very appropriate. These are for the Cassius and Cla'nee you've been telling us so much about?"

Dove nodded happily.

Lirien finished examining the rings and straightened up with a worried smile. "Speaking of 'us,' where is Simara?"

The little elf's face fell. "Found out that someone important to her die - Janus kept body, so is keeping vigil until tomorrow when will take it home, I think. Suggest should not disturb. Is very sad."

"Is not good?" Dove asked, worried. "Janus have very nice places to sleep. Servants quarters mostly repaired. Oh! And have sweetrolls in kitchen! Are very good." She tilted her head to the side and added, "If are worried about sleeping, personally do not sleep much at all so can keep eye on and give potions. Will be okay!"

"I'm not worried about sleeping, Dove, I haven't gotten a full night's sleep for years, it barely bothers me anymore. I'm worried about - me." She ran her hands through her hair. "I don't have time. For anything. I can't be waiting when I could be doing something productive."

"Productive? Like what?" Dove tapped the rings together as she spoke, listening happily to the ringing metallic noise they made. "Janus not able to help? Not even little bit?"

"He told me more of what I already know. There's an enchanter in the Imperial City he thinks might have some ideas...and an 'insane wizard lord,' Telvanni I think is what he said..." She decided not to mention the letter. If Dove knew about it she would insist they wait 'till it was done.

She gave a frusterated sigh when Miir fluttered over to Dove's feet to stare goggle-eyed up at the rings. "You are not helping," she muttered.

Sign in to follow this