You know those times when you're trying to find a specific room in a building and no one knows where it is, it's not listed on any of the maps, and it's nowhere to be found on the Internet? Yeah, not fun. Especially when the reason you need to find it is kind of important. /sigh

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

You know those times when you're trying to find a specific room in a building and no one knows where it is, it's not listed on any of the maps, and it's nowhere to be found on the Internet? Yeah, not fun. Especially when the reason you need to find it is kind of important. /sigh

VM says "I needed the loo really bad but I got lost at the Mall!"

I was trying to find the room I needed for someone to go over some poorly worded test questions. I was told the name of the room but not the number or where it was and couldn't find anything about it.

Went through every building without success, which got frustrating, so I went home and relaxed with the PS2. :)

Things I have learned today:

I'm an even more uber grumpy feminist sarcastic bitch when I take Nyquil...and I'm not sorry.

Starting a system rebuild, as it's time for my PC to be refreshed.

Components will be:

CPU: Core i7 6700k @4.0GHz

CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer i32 Air Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 16Gb @2666MHz

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1300W Modular

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 (salvaged)

Hard Drive: Samsung 1Tb SSD (salvaged)

Chassis: Fractal Design Define R4

Edited by Thomas Kaira

Things I have learned today:

I'm an even more uber grumpy feminist sarcastic bitch when I take Nyquil...and I'm not sorry.

You're a Feminist?

I thought you were a Roman Catholic.

Thomas, I recommend grabbing an HDD for archival storage and for things that don't fast read/write times as it's impossible to retrieve data off an SSD but is easily done with a dead HDD. And are you planning to add more GPUs at some point and what kind of screen are you connecting all this to?

VM: I am having my case delivered to a store so I will be buying a 1Tb external HDD while I'm there for archiving (already planned on this since reinstalling Windows is going to wipe out the drive). I am planning on expanding to two GPUs down the road, but not until nVidia releases their next generation of cards (I'll also be buying a new 4k monitor then), and the display will be connected to the HDTV I am using now (1080p).

Edited by Thomas Kaira

Ah, okay. If that's a new PSU, you may want to pick up something a bit larger than 850W as the x(x)80 cards tend to draw a lot of power and, while 850W is good for one, you may need some extra cushion for two. :)

Too late to cancel now, so I'll deal with that another time.

EDIT: They actually did manage to cancel it so I'll be bringing in a 1300 Watt instead.

And one more change: I've gone to a different RAM package (same format, slightly better, same manufacturer) because the previous one I selected the seller refused to ship.

Edited by Thomas Kaira

The rest sounds good to me. I've never had experience with a Fractal Design case before but I've heard excellent things about them. :)

I think the next system I do will use a case by Mountain Mods. I like them roomy. :P

No! Stop talking computer upgrades!! I'm being really good and not thinking about replacing my five year old gaming PC (except the hard drives which were replaced with SSDs last year). I want DDR4 and 1300w PSUs and 4ghz processors and most probably a 980 GTX as I believe it's currently better than the best AMD! But I don't need any of that, so not thinking about it. Not thinking about it. Going to defrost the freezer. Thinking about that instead.

I'm with you on this point Vorians - I'd best get the hoover out   :frantics:

I take it you guys don't like to periodically plan new systems but not go through with them? I do it a couple times a year just for fun. I like seeing what I can put together on a theoretical budget (high or low) with the new stuff that's come out. :)

My PC was built in 2010. I specified the build, but Chillblast put it together for me. It's been the best gaming PC I've ever had and manages to cope with current game specs fine. I did replace one of the SSDs at one point, I also replaced the graphics card in 2012.

Until I'm forced to replace it, there's no point my window shopping as it might upset me.... might make me want something I don't need and can't afford!

There was no restriction placed upon which types of cheese were imaginable, you can't start adding them now!

That's it, I'm watching the Puppy Bowl next year. I can't make sense of the commercials and the game is nothing but fumbles and penalties. Ugh!

I'm going to turn on Columbo in 30 minutes if it doesn't liven up. :P