• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!

Yes, Hitchhikers is definitely worth a read! Plus the sequels IMO.

15 hours ago, Malonn said:

Earth could be a Petri Dish for an older, more advanced civilization.

IIRC, "Petri Dish" (and variations), is actually a legitimate proposed response to the Fermi Paradox. Not that that means much, a number of them are pretty out there.

Edited by RavenMind

Here's a thing: Fermi's Paradox is neither Fermi's nor a Paradox.

“E.T. might exist elsewhere” and the statement “E.T. is not here” because nobody knows that travel between the stars is possible in the first place.

But light travels there. And travel between the stars maybe not possible for us now- but has someone else done it before? Who can tell?

Just as interesting is Olber's paradox. This discussion wants expanding. The direction of the argument is inexorably linked into the origins and shape of the universe. The whole shebang. :P 

Edited by Schtearn

Thanks for posting those links! I've got some reading to do. :D

..Fermi asked “Where is everybody?”

..Both York and Teller seemed to think Fermi was questioning the feasibility of interstellar travel—nobody thought he was questioning the possible existence of extraterrestrial civilizations.

My understanding of the Fermi Paradox was that it represented more of a thought experiment to provoke discourse on Fermi's question, "Where is everybody?", rather than an actual theory or principle that was being put forth. That article was an interesting read. I didn't realize that the Drake Equation, which really goes to the heart of why Fermi's question is called a paradox, wasn't even put forth until after Fermi's death. Though, that is probably irrelevant if it's reasonably assumed that Fermi believed the existence of ET's is probable, as evidenced by York & Teller's account. Regardless of how we choose to define what's called "The Fermi Paradox" or who came up with it, it's served well to stimulate conversation on the matter. I would like to believe that given the timing of the Drake Equation and SETI conferences, the ideas brought up by what we call the Fermi Paradox may have played a role in influencing some of the issues brought up in Star Trek & its subsequent incarnations, which has undeniably played a large role in popularizing the idea of First Contact, its inherent risks, and why other civilizations may choose not to make contact at all. (How's that for a run-on sentence?) :P

I'll have to save Olber's Paradox for another night. It's past my bedtime.  G'night. :)

3 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Yes, Hitchhikers is definitely worth a read! Plus the sequels IMO.

IIRC, "Petri Dish" (and variations), is actually a legitimate proposed response to the Fermi Paradox. Not that that means much, a number of them are pretty out there.

I wouldn't recommend the reboot, I've heard it was a shameless money grab by Adams's widow.

The Fermi Paradox doesn't get enough love. :(

This is always a fun read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paradoxes

Well here in Oz we often have things when, well we're not having them.

It was popularized by the Clayton's commercial when you could have a drink, when not having a drink.

Possible variations:

A dinner when you're not having a dinner.

A joke when you're not having a joke.

A Government when you're not having a government.

An Assimilation Lab backdrop when you're not having an Assimilation Lab backdrop.

Many more.

So let's propose the Clayton's Paradox for argument's sake.

It's a paradox when, you guessed it, we're not having a paradox! That would account for around half on VM's list. :P

Disagree? In that case, let's argue about it. But a Clayton's retaliation is all I am going to provide for you:

An argument when we're not having an argument! 

Edited by Schtearn

12 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

I wouldn't recommend the reboot, I've heard it was a shameless money grab by Adams's widow.

Oh. I didn't know there was a reboot. I was under the impression So Long and Thanks for All the Fish was his final novel. Looks like I've got a re-read + extra novel ahead of me! :D

@Schtearn You're causing more of my neurons to implode! I don't have many left to spare..

1 hour ago, RavenMind said:

@Schtearn You're causing more of my neurons to implode! I don't have many left to spare..

Do you have some spare Clayton's neurons? That might alleviate the impact some. :)

11 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Oh. I didn't know there was a reboot. I was under the impression So Long and Thanks for All the Fish was his final novel. Looks like I've got a re-read + extra novel ahead of me! :D

Yeah, it was by the author of the Artemis Fowl series. It was easy to tell that he was out of his element.

Ah, too bad.

I've been told the BBC radio series is pretty good. But I've never listened to it because I have a hard time understanding what the British are saying when they talk fast & throw in terms I'm unfamiliar with. BBC News I have no trouble with, but I often have to rewind movies to understand the dialog. Even had to do it a few times with The IT Crowd. Maybe it's just with particular regional accents..? My wife & sister don't seem to have the same problem, so it's probably just me. :shrug:

Edited by RavenMind

No it definitely gets easier the more you watch British television. We just finished watching a Scottish series and we got most of that. Even Jimi has trouble sometimes!

More has to be known about the Great Dying. Direct geological evidence is unlikely as sea rock is "recycled" every 200 million years.

But the sheer length of the recovery time- 3-4 million years is even enough to blow one's Clayton's neurons away. :blink:

Edited by Schtearn

You know that junk mail they send out saying you're some contest finalist for a car and you could win if your number in the game piece matches that everyone knows is a gimmick to get you into the dealership? Yeah, I confirmed my suspicions when a second piece accidentally got stuck to the flyer. Surprise, surprise: both pieces had the exact same code. Seeing as how the chances as listed in the fine print were 1:75,000, I highly doubt that was by chance and definitely a gimmick. I usually throw those flyers away without looking but I was bored. :P

On 11/11/2017 at 4:10 AM, Schtearn said:

More has to be known about the Great Dying. Direct geological evidence is unlikely as sea rock is "recycled" every 200 million years.

But the sheer length of the recovery time- 3-4 million years is even enough to blow one's Clayton's neurons away. :blink:

I find that amazingly fast, actually, considering the scale of the P-T event. The usual figure quoted for full biodiversity recovery for the later milder 65/66 My BP K-T (yeah, K-Pg, I know...) is ~10 My. Even that's pretty swift, I think. (Basically, if we do ourselves in, which might happen if the current idiocy continues, the planet will get over us in next to no time by geological standards.)

On 11/11/2017 at 1:08 PM, Visceral Moonlight said:

The Moon creation event is also an interesting one. They still haven't decided if it got trapped in the orbit or if it broke off the planet

Funny one that. Every time it seems settled, new doubts arise. For 2-3 decades the dominant theory has been that it was due to a collision with a Mars-sized body (even has a name - Theia). Still favourite, but niggling doubts have arisen. The idea that it broke off the Earth is long dead and buried, by the way. There is no dynamical mechanism that could explain this and the lunar composition is just wrong. (I had a geography teacher who kept insisting that the Pacific Ocean was the hole left by the Moon breaking away. I waved a book on plate tectonics or - 'continental drift', as it was known then - at him and he told me to stop reading such trashy science fiction...)

Oh, don't get me wrong, the physics behind it don't work out. If it were a collision, the planet would have been throw through space (Newton's laws and all that) but scientists are pretty sure this has always been the main system for the planet (I suppose it could have been a hurtling planet but it would have been dashed to pieces with all the space asteroids flying about). I just find the topic fascinating.

13 minutes ago, Malonn said:

The moon is an giant alien spacecraft used to keep tabs on their experiment, and right in our backyard too.

Well, I secretly favour the theory that it is a giant spaceraptor egg. And it's going to hatch any time now, because moonquakes...