Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • AndalayBay

      Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

      I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Malonn said:

Has anyone tried the 64bit version?  Was it just me, or was it an unusable crash-fest?

54-56 64b was jittery & unstable for me. Had a couple of crashes, but nothing too bad. The last, or close to last, 56 update was running pretty well for me though.

18 minutes ago, AndalayBay said:

Extended Support Release. It supports all the features they've been removing lately and it doesn't update as often. You'll only get prompted to update when there's a security fix published.

Ooooh, me want, me want!  Jumpin on DuckDuckGo now. (Google can screwgle themselves..) :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also tired of my plugins being disabled one by one. I wasn't going to have any left. The ESR is version 52.x and if I'm not mistaken, it will remain version 52.x, with only minor releases until the end of life in 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I'm finally wheelchair bound, I'm getting myself something like this:7126714377_e388cb3eba_b.jpg&f=1

I tried one of those Segways once. Could not manage to find my balance & the thing went zipping off, knocking me on my butt. Of course that was after several spinal surgeries & a fusion, so my balance isn't great anymore. I didn't feel quite so bad when it did the same thing to my fully functional sister. :P

Edited by RavenMind
link to off-site pic instead of attaching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

Next question: can we attach one of the spare space shuttle engines to it? Now that would be a wheelchair!

Perhaps there would be a few health and safety issues. But who cares?

It only really needs a very little work, in fact. The hunky tyres suggest that it is already amphibious, but it does need an airtight bulletproof canopy with a cool HUD. (This would be de rigeur for all-terrain travel on the Moon or Mars, of course). I like that the designers have already added ports for the frickin' lasers, but obviously it's a prototype as the weapons loadout otherwise seems a trifle skimpy. Oh, and there should be an ashtray in one of the armrests. And a cupholder. (But where to put the liquor cabinet?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Extended Support Release. It supports all the features they've been removing lately and it doesn't update as often. You'll only get prompted to update when there's a security fix published.

Gotcha.  Kinda like the Linux builds, but maybe even longer support.

19 hours ago, RavenMind said:

54-56 64b was jittery & unstable for me. Had a couple of crashes, but nothing too bad. The last, or close to last, 56 update was running pretty well for me though.

Ooooh, me want, me want!  Jumpin on DuckDuckGo now. (Google can screwgle themselves..) :P

Okay.  It's me then.  I mean when I tried it it was unusable with all the crashes.  Something told me Mozilla can code better than that, but...

18 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I was also tired of my plugins being disabled one by one. I wasn't going to have any left. The ESR is version 52.x and if I'm not mistaken, it will remain version 52.x, with only minor releases until the end of life in 2018.

2018?  That's a while.  Most popular addons will be updated.  Some obscure ones may not, but there will be some waiting.  Tab Mix Plus, I'm looking at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

Perhaps there would be a few health and safety issues. But who cares?

It only really needs a very little work, in fact. The hunky tyres suggest that it is already amphibious, but it does need an airtight bulletproof canopy with a cool HUD. (This would be de rigeur for all-terrain travel on the Moon or Mars, of course). I like that the designers have already added ports for the frickin' lasers, but obviously it's a prototype as the weapons loadout otherwise seems a trifle skimpy. Oh, and there should be an ashtray in one of the armrests. And a cupholder. (But where to put the liquor cabinet?)

Awesome ideas, all! With the frickin' lasers nobody will bother me about dropping my cig butts, so no ashtray needed. lol

When it comes time, this is the one I think I'll get:

Or maybe this 6x6! :D

https://youtu.be/Cc-Ve8MxT8w

 

Edited by RavenMind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL!!

How about this bad boy. Looks like he's even got a rifle case mounted on the side!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNV2n8hqF_c

Man, I wish they had these around when my dad was alive. He was wheelchair bound for the last 10 years of his life, and these could have gotten him all the places he wanted to go. Electric chairs were just starting to come out at that time. I remember one time he thought he could get out onto part of a beach that had hardpacked sand. Got stuck & I wound up having to find some planks to put under the tires & ride it plank, by plank back to the pavement. LOL. Good memories though.

Edited by RavenMind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

We'd need to slap some solar panels on it! That way, we can power it even when we run out of conventional fuel! Hell, let's just combine it with the various Mars rovers. :D

And radioisotope thermal generators! It's the only way to be sure. Then you're sorted all the way out beyond Jupiter - or at the bottom of the Marianas Trench come to that.

[Well, they'll have to do until Mr Fusion drops by...]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Malonn said:

I just want sharks with frickin' lasers attached to their heads.

Oh, you're always moaning about those. Why don't you just check Amazon, I hear you can get a discount on them if you buy a return ticket to Jeff Bezos's secret orbital death ray station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

And radioisotope thermal generators! It's the only way to be sure. Then you're sorted all the way out beyond Jupiter - or at the bottom of the Marianas Trench come to that.

[Well, they'll have to do until Mr Fusion drops by...]

Don't forget the digging apparatus! Need something to help protect you from the solar rays!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

Oh, you're always moaning about those. Why don't you just check Amazon, I hear you can get a discount on them if you buy a return ticket to Jeff Bezos's secret orbital death ray station.

Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

I really hate it when TV shows use time travel as a cop out to undo half a season or more. Stupid stupid stupid.

I know what you mean, though I think some of them should. IMO, the 21st-century Trek movies (OK, it's film not TV) should entirely abolish themselves in this way. (OK, so maybe it's just an alternate timeline, but I still hates it.)

Arguably worse is the 'it was all a dream' ploy, the most infamous being Dallas, I think. That was an entire season. It's fine, I'd say, if you just do it for a segment or two, or you leave the viewers thinking 'well, maybe it was a dream or hallucination. Or maybe not.' Good fun, especially if you're setting up unreliable narrators and what not. But there are limits, I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malonn said:

Did you mention "Dallas"?  You mean the soap opera, right?  My grandmother used to watch that.  Blast from the past.

Well, you got me there. Now get off my lawn, you pesky young whippersnapper!

[Best I can do. Just haven't graduated to the 'shouting at clouds' level yet. Need a lot more XP for that.]

Edited by tegeusCromis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, the dream bit is annoying for sure. I like when shows use it as an actual plot element though, using it as a sort of future event and then spend about the same number of episodes trying to undo the dream episodes. Those can be fun if done right.

And then there's how Lost did it in the final season, especially in the final episode. Yeah, let's just not even talk about that one. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

Well, you got me there. Now get off my lawn, you pesky young whippersnapper!

[Best I can do. Just haven't graduated to the 'shouting at clouds' level yet. Need a lot more XP for that.]

Lol.  I really wasn't implying you're old... I just haven't heard anything about Dallas since the early 90's.  I'm not a baby: Generation X here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malonn said:

Lol.  I really wasn't implying you're old... I just haven't heard anything about Dallas since the early 90's.  I'm not a baby: Generation X here.

You're a baby. :D

*flees*

as best I can with my walker, anyway. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×