Stone hoes & fish slippers. I'll admit, I'm completely lost. :P

Edit: after posting that, I think I'm going to start using that as a phrase, "Oh, stone hoes and fish slippers!"

Edited by RavenMind

Sounds like a bit of Cockney rhyming slang that's got way out of control. "Should've seem 'im go, givin' it a bit of the old fish slipper and laughin' away like a bloomin' stone hoe..."

[Yes, it often sounds like something rude, even when it isn't...]

Stone hoes and fish slippers ahoy!

Previously I declared the slippers were ghastly. Actually they are just a-Dory-ble. For what occasion should they be worn? There's a time and plaice for everything!

5 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

Video cards are at the local facility! Newegg has gotten faster with shipping! They couldn't come soon enough: stupid freeze cost me a stone hoe today. :P

Local facility? Is that some kind of computer accessories store?

37 minutes ago, Schtearn said:

Local facility? Is that some kind of computer accessories store?

That's what my wife calls the toilet..

And you don't want to know what "The guest bathroom" is.. :P

37 minutes ago, Schtearn said:

Actually they are just a-Dory-ble.

:lmao:

4 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

"Should've seem 'im go, givin' it a bit of the old fish slipper and laughin' away like a bloomin' stone hoe..."

[Yes, it often sounds like something rude, even when it isn't...

ROFL! It sure does! At least he wasn't givin' his stone ho the ol' fish slipper!. :o

Edited by RavenMind

5 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Previously I declared the slippers were ghastly. Actually they are just a-Dory-ble. For what occasion should they be worn? There's a time and plaice for everything!

Well I'd say not for an event that demands high eels.

4 hours ago, RavenMind said:

.ROFL! It sure does! At least he wasn't givin' his stone ho the ol' fish slipper!. :o

Great Scott, man! Haven't you noticed there are ladies present! :banned:

[NOTE: Gender-specfic references only included as parody. Though it could be inverted. Well, not really.]

9 minutes ago, tegeusCromis said:

Haven't you noticed there are ladies present!

Oh, yeah. Sorry Malonn! :P  J/K

Hey, I had to "level up". Couldn't go around making hats all day. And speaking of inverted gender references.. No, no, I reel-y shouldn't, don't want anyone to take that bait..

Edited by RavenMind

12 minutes ago, tegeusCromis said:

Well I'd say not for an event that demands high eels.

But one could, for argument's sake view it from quite a high perch.

10 minutes ago, Schtearn said:

But one could, for argument's sake view it from quite a high perch.

In your breams!

17 minutes ago, RavenMind said:

And speaking of inverted gender references.. No, no, I reel-y shouldn't, don't want anyone to take that bait..

But it might be of some net gain to the community.

[Oh, congratulations on the promotion! Hope you won't find the workload too tiresome.]

Edited by tegeusCromis

5 minutes ago, tegeusCromis said:

In your breams!

What a hakeful thought!  Pollocks to those who don't change perspective and angler for more ray.

6 minutes ago, Schtearn said:

What a hakeful thought!  Pollocks to those who don't change perspective and angler for more ray.

Oh my cod! Now you're really starting to skate on thin ice.

33 minutes ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

Aren't we just having a whale of a time? :D

A sharking time with these puns, albeit the slippers were hot to trout!

Oh, don't come the raw prawn with me!

(As you well know, under the Micheldever Rules of 1906, any echinodermatous move may be met with a crustacean riposte without the responding player having to spend the subsequent round in dogger. I believe I have also deftly removed one of Schtearn's stronger pieces in the process. )

Edited by tegeusCromis

Anyway ... reasons to be cheerful, free Space ebook with fiction and fact:

Visions, Ventures, Escape Velocities: A Collection of Space Futures

A Xmas prezzie from NASA. Just the kind of thing I need right now,  some sort of future. (And it's someone else's tax money at work too!).

[ I think Steven Barnes and Eileen Gunn are reliable writers, don't recognise the others in the fiction section.]

Edited by tegeusCromis

45 minutes ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

My tax money! :P

Thanks! I do enjoy their publications! I actually downloaded the transcripts from the Apollo missions. They're a very fun read!

Oh, I'll have to grab those. Every now and then, I find I have to rewatch the Apollo 11 launch. It still has me wanting to bite my fingernails even though I know the outcome. Watched it in realtime as a kid and it brings back the huge tension - and the relief. :banana:[And that segment was just the final part of a long lead-up on the BBC at the time. Good of NASA to stage the mission when we had school holidays :D.]

Edited by tegeusCromis

12 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

Watched it in realtime as a kid and it brings back the huge tension - and the relief.

Wish I had that relief you had..

While the presence of New Hampshire's Christa McAuliffe, a member of the Teacher in Space program, on the Challenger crew had provoked some media interest, there was little live broadcast coverage of the launch.

.. Due to McAuliffe's presence on the mission, NASA arranged for many US public schools to view the launch live on NASA TV . As a result, many who were schoolchildren in the US in 1986 had the opportunity to view the launch live.

..Children were even more likely than adults to have seen the accident live, since many children—48 percent of nine to thirteen-year-olds...watched the launch at school.

That was me. I remember watching the Challenger explosion as a 5 year old in Kindergarten. We were all super excited that they were going to let us watch it because there was a teacher on board. I think that was the first time I thought about death..

Even worse is poor old Bob Ebeling, one of the Thiokol engineers who tried to stop the launch (who lived here in UT). He blamed himself almost till the day he died. One of the local interviews with him & his family said that he ripped up every conciliatory letter he received. I don't know if he actually forgave himself at the end, or just said so to make his family feel better.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/21/470870426/challenger-engineer-who-warned-of-shuttle-disaster-dies

Edited by RavenMind