• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Linode Critical Maintenance   01/10/2018

Phase 1 is complete. There will be a second round once Linode gets a patch. I have updated the forum thread -  please see my post here.

6 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Yeesh. There's just something about creatures that can eat me that I find unnerving. Probably comes from having watched Jaws at way too young an age. LOL The cougars, bobcats, & mountain lions around here don't bother anybody unless they wander into neighborhood & can't find their way back out to the mountains. The bears you've got to be careful of though. Their behavior is unpredictable, they can outrun a human, and contrary to popular belief, they can and WILL climb if you piss them off. Not sure how well bear mace would work on an alligator, and most city folk freak out if you walk around with a .357 on your hip. If open carry is even legal there, that is. I think most Eastern states have something against that.

I don't think we have it down here. We just carry sticks! Seriously! It's so swampy here most people carry sticks to help walk through the bogs and to help keep the snakes and stuff at bay. It'll all be fixed once Florida sinks back into the ocean, though!

Well, I'd definitely prefer a stick if it works, especially in a potentially populated area. We've got some rather nasty venomous snakes around here too. Probably not like you have there though. We always hike with walking sticks too, usually made ourselves with a fork at the bottom, (like a letter y). They mostly avoid people as long as they feel them coming, so if I have to go through underbrush, I just tap around & make enough vibrations to alert them.  The couple of times I was confronted (and wasn't able to back away), I was lucky enough not to have to draw & just used my stick. One I was lucky enough to hit him in the head & stun him long enough to pin him with the fork & take off his head (then bury it of course).  The other time I was keeping his focus with my stick & when he struck I just flung him & my stick off into the brush. That way we both got to live, albeit I lost a stick I rather liked. :( Those two I was *fairly* certain weren't venomous, and was close enough to a hospital (and antivenom) that I wasn't too worried if they were. Luckily I've never had to draw, but know some who have, (questionably..) Most of us that hike the backcountry carry a .357 revolver with alternating slugs (bear/cougar), and shotshells (snakes). Anything less just annoys a bear, anything more and you can't hit a snake. Bear mace is all well & good, but you're literally betting your life on it, 1- Spraying at all, 2- Getting it in the bear's face, 3- Bear reacting to it at all, and 4- having enough distance to stop the bear before it's already bowled you over. So, yeah we may sound primitive to some people, but there's reasons. @Vorians Google Earth over the rocky mountains some time & it'll give you a bit of an idea. :)

The sticks work great! Won't help any with the alligators but not much will. :P

And I have more gripes with the TV incarnation of Green Arrow: nobody has a semblance of sanity. Thea is butt hurt that she was never told who her biological father was so naturally she disowns her parents (who raised her and loved her), tells her biological dad to piss off, tells her brother and boyfriend to do the same, goes crawling back to her biological father, and then trains to kill everyone.

Slade. His girlfriend is killed by a psycho so naturally he raises an army of supermen to kill everyone connected to Oliver, his best and only friend.

The list goes on and on! In addition, they keep killing off characters numerous times and bring them back from the dead. Some of them have been literally blown to pieces multiple times! I think the show is starting to annoy me. :P

You obviously haven’t seen the recent episodes. Slade at that time was insane due to the drug (can’t remember what it was called). Thea is a spoiled brat at that time. She thinks learning to fight will stop her from getting hurt.

Arrow is one of my favourite shows. Grimm was my favourite, but the stupid asses cancelled it after the 5th season. :mad:

I just started watching it two weeks ago! :P

Slade has been blown to pieces what, like five times now? Even after cured, he still wanted to level the city!

And then there's Amanda. She's pissy so naturally she tries to nuke the city.

I'm enjoying it but the details keep baffling me! :P

I'm sure it'll get better! Season one was actually kind of rough, it seemed like they couldn't decide what to do with Oliver personality wise and a lot of stuff felt a bit rushed.

Hey, no spoilers. I'm only up to Season 4-5-ish, something like that. :P

I totally see where you're coming from though VM. A lot of the stuff they do doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. But.. I guess that's not an untrue depiction of RL choices.

My favorite of those types of shows is Flash. If you haven't seen that one yet, I highly recommend it! It's got a lot of the same elements as Arrow, but is a lot more upbeat and... sciency.. I guess the word would be. Never thought I'd like a superhero whose power is to run really fast, but they go some really cool places with it, and all the pseudo-science is right up my alley. :D

I'm only at the top of season three. :P

John seems to be the sanest one. I like John.

Haven't gotten to Flash yet. I'm going in terms of show sequence as opposed to episode sequence. Sure, some of the events will be off but it's easier for me to keep track of stuff that way!

We interrupt your regular viewing for a brief weather bulletin - no White Xmas for us East Atlantic folk, it seems. Bah.

[Dammit. Thanks to you people, I now have a couple more shows I may use up some of my life watching. There's just too much of this stuff I tell ya...]

Edited by tegeusCromis

I was being vague so there were no spoilers. I’m not as keen on Flash. I’m still recording it, but I haven’t watched it in a while. It’s too cheery and childish.

If you’d like something quite different, check out Killjoys. I don’t know if it’s broadcast in the States or not, but you might be able to get it online. It’s quite an elaborate story, so you’ll need to pay attention.

Our friends from the UK might get a kick out of the fact that another show I enjoy is Midsomer Murders. I have watched the show from the beginning and have boxes of DVD’s. I watch them on our public broadcast channel and then buy the DVD’s afterwards. I also watched and own the complete series of A Touch of Frost and Inspector Morse. And we mustn’t forget Poirot. I love British mysteries. :)

1 hour ago, AndalayBay said:

It’s too cheery and childish.

Hehe, yeah I suppose it is. It was a nice change for me after I binge watched The Walking Dead & the first season of Luke Cage.

6 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

Thanks to you people, I now have a couple more shows I may use up some of my life watching.

Well, then you should add to your list Legends of Tomorrow! Includes characters from both Arrow & Flash, time travel, etc. :) Luke Cage is good too, but kind of heavy.

OMFG, more and more, noooo... (Actually, I've started on Killjoys, enjoying it though it seemed rather 80s somehow, but that's kind of OK. I'm not very far in tho, others have told me it gets much better later too).

If you like UK TV, AB, you may find Peaky Blinders appealing, it's not polite crime tho. I quite like Midsomer, and used to be a big Morse fan, be nice to rewatch tt, but somehow never got into Frost. (The thing about Midsomer Murders is that people should likely be moving out of that county in droves, that murder rate is wicked high for rural England, makes it a good place to buy cheap property if you can live to enjoy it. And who'd be an Oxford academic in the Morse universe? Life expectancy of a gnat.)

Killjoys definitely plays on a retro vibe. We think it’s almost 70’s, like the 70’s cop shows, with harder music. Our painter is from England and he’s in the process of binge watching Peaky Blinders. I’ll have to ask him about it.

The DVD sets include extra features and in one, they talked about the ridiculous murder rate for Midsomer Murders. :lol: Chicago or Detroit would be jealous. *cough*

I loved Frost. In fact I’ve said “Get to it. Chop chop.” but people don’t understand the reference. :P

Yes, Taggart is another one I liked. I have the whole original series and a few from the new series. Another one that was fun at first is Dalziel and Pascoe, although I needed to turn on the subtitles. :lmao:

Wow, now I'm in tC's boat. Lots of stuff I'll have to check out that I haven't heard of before. :D

@Schtearn    I did come across quite a few .xxx urls when I was looking through by uBlock blacklist a while back. So at least one of them has taken off. Big surprise it'd be something like .xxx though right? lol

Perhaps there's a general unease about visiting sites with non-standard extensions. I know when I'm told to go to a site with, say a .tv extension, I get a little apprehensive. I think maybe it puts people in mind of scams.

Edited by RavenMind

Some extension suggestions would be 

Please be quiet: pbq

<site not welcoming new visitors> .dnd

I'm a teapot [418]: tpt 

Windows 10 Upgrade sites: .fud

Boss Userlist Manager homepage: .bum

Of course extensions can be longer than 3, but 3 is fun!

But I like cheery!

Yeah, Midsomer is fun but I haven't watched much of it.

The custom extensions are used a lot for URL shorteners but I haven't seen them used much outside of that area. Not really going to complain as it can get confusing when you need to keep track of hundreds of them instead of just a few like we have now. Much easier for me! :P

5 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

tegeusCromis, you'll get a bit of a chuckle out of this: Minecraft has a Stranger Things skin pack. Seeing the creature in blocky appearance is a bit strange. :P

OK, that's it. Minecraft's now on my NY to-do list. (At least I'm not the last person in the universe to play it, Vorians has fessed up too...)

If you get it, you'll want to buy the Java Edition as that includes both versions (which is handy as the feature sets are slightly different so it can be fun to experiment) while the Windows 10 Edition (also known as Bedrock) just includes that version for the same price.

2 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

OK, that's it. Minecraft's now on my NY to-do list. (At least I'm not the last person in the universe to play it, Vorians has fessed up too...)

I'm busy replaying GTA San Andreas and Ultima 4!!!

2 hours ago, Vorians said:

I'm busy replaying GTA San Andreas and Ultima 4!!!

Oh, wow, Ultima IV! Spent so long playing that, and V too. Amiga versions - they came with cloth maps, both of which I still have and use as small tablecloths. Will have to get that running again some time soon...

I played Ultimas 4, 5 and 6 on the Atari ST. It was my friend's father's Atari back when I was a child, he didn't have maps for 4 or 5 (I think they may have been pirate copies of the games) but did have a paper map for 6 (which I now own). Then I played Ultimas 7 and 7 Part 2 on my friend's father's PC (got the paper maps he owned of those too now) and tried Ultima 8 but it was so different from the previous games that I never got into it (I have his cloth map for that one). Never tried Ultima 9.

Thanks to GOG (or maybe it was before GOG, might have been thanks to an abandonware site) I tried Akalabeth (Ultima 0) several years ago but it was too primitive. I played Ultima 1 to completion (printed the four maps onto A4 paper), and tried Ultimas 2 and 3 but I think I again found them too primitive or too hard or the controls too weird so lost interest. I might have completed them, but I don't think I did.

Ultima 4 I'm playing on my 4k tv, so since the game obviously won't truly scale, it's just nicely blown up to fill the screen instead, which is fun! And I'm playing it properly (though my memory of playing the game about 25 years ago provides a bit of a cheat) by not using the internet and not using the big hint book which my friend's father had when I was a child (and which is now mine, he gave me all his old Ultima books and maps). Using a pen and notebook instead, the way it's meant to be played.