• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!

I'm actually cheering for the trains to hit the stupid asses. Here we even had a passenger bus get hit by a train! The driver and a bunch of people got killed. In that case, the investigators thought that he might not have realized where exactly the train crossing was because it was on a curve and the sun makes it hard to see. The residents in the area said it's a very dangerous crossing. But there was also a suggestion that he was in a hurry and driving too fast.

Bad one in a town over the border some years back involving a semi. This time, the passengers in the train go killed.

For anyone not familiar with the area, the sound of metal on metal would be onomatopoeic in the name of the town: Kerang,- but it is actually an aboriginal word for edible root vegetable.

Since the 1860s when ... It is believed that the name 'kerang' means either "an edible root" or "the moon" in the language of the local Wemba-Wemba Aborigines

It is the commercial centre to an irrigation district based on livestock, horticulture, lucerne and grain. 

In the brief time of white habitation, just a regular country town. But the Aborigines were here a lot longer.

11 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Bad one in a town over the border some years back involving a semi. This time, the passengers in the train go killed.

For anyone not familiar with the area, the sound of metal on metal would be onomatopoeic in the name of the town: Kerang,- but it is actually an aboriginal word for edible root vegetable.

How in hell was the driver not jailed for that? He drove into the side of the train!

10 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

How in hell was the driver not jailed for that? He drove into the side of the train!

Only God knows- they had their reasons- but if he was travelling at 100 kph before reaching the crossing signage- it would have taken a long time to slow down with a 40 ton load. These days, along with whatever the drivers have playing on audio, or what the engine/air conditioning is doing, their compartments are well sealed from outside noises, so outside bells & whistles - even sirens may not be noticed. Some of the older trucks have very noisy front suspension!

The only way to affect slowdown around these crossings is speed bumps a good distance away along with signage. Perhaps someone could design a speedbump that grows from vibrations of an approaching train detected on the line, and recedes when there is none.

Yeah we were thinking that the braking distance might have just been too much with the load he was carrying. We have rumble strips here that alert you if you’re leaving your lane or the road. Basically they make a racket if you drive over them. They would have to be very long in that case, but maybe it’s worth it?

Yes! Anything but the carnage!

There was one issue with Braxton in Relativity, his later personae showed absolutely no aging after thirty years of exile in the 20th century! Or was that nullified or something?

Edited by Schtearn

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/224437/20180405/substantial-lack-of-phosphorus-in-the-universe-makes-finding-alien-life-unlikely.htm

I've been sitting on this for a while but this news is cause for me to speak up:

This is stupid. Why does life have to be organic in structure (at least, our definition of such)? It's a big multiverse with infinite combinations of the laws of physics, there's nothing keeping life from taking other forms other than what it is on this rock. Instead of looking for chemicals we're familiar with, we should be looking at other common properties, such as behavior patterns. That is to say, we should be looking for signs of life instead of the composition, such as grouped entities that could represent colonial sites. If we look for these signs, I suspect we'll be better able to determine where the life is instead of trying to find areas they can live or the life itself.

18 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/224437/20180405/substantial-lack-of-phosphorus-in-the-universe-makes-finding-alien-life-unlikely.htm

I've been sitting on this for a while but this news is cause for me to speak up:

This is stupid. Why does life have to be organic in structure (at least, our definition of such)? It's a big multiverse with infinite combinations of the laws of physics, there's nothing keeping life from taking other forms other than what it is on this rock. Instead of looking for chemicals we're familiar with, we should be looking at other common properties, such as behavior patterns. That is to say, we should be looking for signs of life instead of the composition, such as grouped entities that could represent colonial sites. If we look for these signs, I suspect we'll be better able to determine where the life is instead of trying to find areas they can live or the life itself.

You assume that other lifeforms will follow behaviour patterns we would think to look for.

What I think is as follows: I think they may have visited thousands of years ago (many ancient scriptures have vague references to being visited by extremely advanced peoples and a lot of the architecture can't even be reproduced with modern equipment) but haven't visited recently. They may be in contact but I don't believe that they've visited the surface as with today's media arm and the digital age, it would be quite a task to hide something like that from the planet. Roswell is still a mystery. I still spend hours analyzing the documents that were released trying to make sense of it. It doesn't entirely make sense for extraterrestrials, flight tests, oruch else. It's basically a little bit of everything that doesn't form a cohesive possible event. There's more to it definitely than what we've been told or people believe. My thinking? First the location stands out: Southwest. Why is this significant? The ancient civilizations of this region had more references to possible contact than anyone else and built vast underground complexes. It's entirely possible that it was a failed attempt to interact with technology found in the general area that activated some sort of beacon that a patrol had to check out. It makes sense considering that we salvaged a lot of primitive rocket technology from the Germans a few years prior and Hitler (as well as his officers) was very much into the occult. There are still holes to fill but I think something along those lines is more probable than the mainstream beliefs.

Yes, I know how it sounds. :P

And yes, I know about the thorough Roswell reports released and how it wasn't popular until years later. It's just an example! To be honest, the official reports still leave some questions unanswered. There's a lot we don't understand about what goes on in the testing facilities in that region (hell, Area 51 is mostly a flight test site but is completely blacked out and doesn't officially exist). Yes, I like ignoring reports and doing what if scenarios. I find them productive!

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

Interesting take on it, VM.  I believe that aliens lived among us in the ancient past too.  Earth may even have been a lab of sorts for advanced ETs.  Mix ET DNA with that of primitive hominids?  A few species on the Earth at one time (Neanderthal, homo sapien sapien and others)?  It's interesting to think about.  I am certain civilization goes back thousands of years earlier than mainstream archaeology reports.  Back before Gobekli Tepe even.

My opinion is still in development on Roswell.  Some of these "eyewitnesses" are liars, I believe.  But something happened there.  The day 1 report was a UFO crashed and then they changed their story.  Dubious.

Yeah, even after you eliminate all of the crap there are still too many things that don't really make sense. For instance, why would they be using dummies in a vehicle that wasn't even a precursor to a manned vessel? Way too many different things involved there that don't form a complete picture. There's something missing that would answer everything, I'm sure of it. I just don't think the missing piece has been found yet but it's in the reports and testimony somewhere, the trick is to figure out where it is in all the attention whoring.

I don't really have an opinion on the civilization thing, I mainly stick with things that I can analyze physical evidence of. :)

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

Let's see...

Bone bruise on my left hand, 1/2 inch blister on my right hand, and a nice big splinter deep in the sole of my left foot.  This has been a FUN month in injuring myself. 

*cherishes currently uninjured right foot*

Too much Nirnroot?

... Skyfall saw a change in the Bond template. moody music reminiscent of Planescape - or even Blade Runner with a less than gungho supervillian. Yay. (Spoiler alerts in clips...)

Edited by Schtearn