• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!

I’ve been sick all weekend, so I didn’t post this sooner, but we had a big windstorm on Friday. At its peak, wind speeds hit 119 km/hr. 118km/hr is hurricane force. Hurricane Hazel’s wind speeds were 125 km/hr. Fortunately this time they weren’t sustained. The damage really varied. Mostly big trees were toppled which took out power lines. One family lost the roof to their house completely. Two arborists working to clear fallen trees were killed when another tree fell on them.

The winds weren’t as high in our area. If they were, we would have lost most of the shingles on our roof as it’s in bad need of replacement. I don’t think we had any damage, although I can’t see our roof since we live in a really tall Victorian-style house. :P

Hasn't been great here either. Two inches of rain since Jan 1, and one of the hottest summers on record, and scary weather causing the Tathra Fire nearby.

Chance of a bit of rain on this coming weekend. Let's hope!

20 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

How do ships in science fiction series not run into planets when they decide to travel faster than the speed of light? Or asteroid fields? That scene in Star Wars made no sense! The Rick's would have pierced the hull, depressurizing it, and sucking them all out! We would have had a vacuum sealed, bearskin rug!

Depends on their mode of FTL. If you fold space then you simply need to know the coordinates for a large enough patch of empty space to end up in - this can be done with prescience, or with computers holding accurate data on the galaxy. If the ship actually travels along a path to get to a destination, then jump routes are often established - known paths of safe zones to pass through. If travelling in a straight line only, then you simply need to align the ship correctly in the direction of the destination before starting, look where you're going to confirm nothing is in the path, then calculate the distance accurately so that you stop when you want to - if you miss it then you have to hope for the best. I've found this is quite common in fact - know your destination point, then get the ship correctly aligned (using a nearby planet as a reference to line up with the destination planet), calculate the time to travel FTL before dropping out safely. Or there's warp space/hyperspace where you leave normal space and transfer into a different dimension or plane of reality etc. so they avoid every physical object along the way and just have to worry about the destination.Of course if jump gates/hypergates are used, these set specific safe locations so that pilots don't have to worry about coming out into empty space or not.

Having scanners which scan faster than FTL travel helps as you can determine what's ahead at all times, no matter what course changes you make. Worm holes (in reference to FTL, this is cheating of course) are the safest mode of travel without concern for crashing into something.

12 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Hasn't been great here either. Two inches of rain since Jan 1, and one of the hottest summers on record, and scary weather causing the Tathra Fire nearby.

Chance of a bit of rain on this coming weekend. Let's hope!

Are you in NSW Schtearn? We have friends in Castle Hill so we know how brutal the weather can be down there.

They probably had to close the CN Tower on Friday. It sways when there's just a bit of wind, it must have been nauseating during the storm.

No one seems to be sure!  A lot of news articles are saying that the landlord shot his tenant over a "confrontation about the tenant continuing to live there."  Except the word around town is that the tenant was moving out and coming back for his stuff.

They're not even sure the type of gun.  Some articles say a handgun and some say a shotgun.  It's a mess.  (And the tenant was my age...I wonder if I went to school with him?)

The landlord is being charged with 2nd degree murder, though.  

Hm, well your first thought is "the tenant did something wrong", but that definitely isn't always true.  Well at least it's close and shut as far as the culprit--it sucks when people get killed and the killer's go free.

As opposed to streaming, throw some pebbles in the pond and make a ripple? :P

Got it set up for Ob but forget it was for specifically. It was a 360 sweepshot in different locations- Might have been something to do with LODs or Z-fighting in different weather conditions/lighting or FPS or ShadeMe- don't you hate it when you forget stuff because you don't log it? Damn, what was it? :angry:

Fascinated by earring toothpicks - or chatelaines as they sometimes used to be called in Victorian times. Here's one as a pendant:

Toothpick01.jpg?v=1524540238 

These ones look nice- but are they just ornamental? Will also need to check out the Apachii Goddess Store. :P

Never knew of the Robber's Cave Experiment: here's a blowdown-

AFAIK these experiments have not been repeated- most likely on moral/ethical concerns- or perhaps there has never been the impetus?

Classic English Shortbread (Not to be confused with Scottish Shortbread):

1 part caster sugar, 2 parts unsalted butter, 3 parts white flour. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl, add the sugar, chop the butter cold from the fridge and add it too. Mix everything together with your hands vigorously until it becomes a smooth golden dough.

Roll it out to 1/4-1/3 inch thickness and use a cookie cutter or shape by hand. You can also bake it in an 8-inch pie tin, be sure to score it into eights before it goes into the oven in that case.

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C or 130 degrees C fan assisted for 35-45 minutes, pierce  from the top with a fork just before it goes in. Leave the shortbread to cook on a wire rack, if baked in a tin leave it in the but cut through your score lines as soon as it comes out of the oven!

I assume you know how to melt cooking chocolate and smear it on top. In this heat I had to stick the chocolate ones in the fridge to set.

Have fun.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:02 AM, Sigurd Stormhand said:

I assume you know how to melt cooking chocolate and smear it on top. In this heat I had to stick the chocolate ones in the fridge to set.

*squints at England*

What heat?

It was stupidly hot there when we visited in August 2001. They didn’t even have A/C in some of the places we stayed, or if they did, it was shut off already. I melted. It also only rained one day. We were there for three weeks.