• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Leonardo

Feedback thread

Every time I go to the gallery, I get a message saying there's something wrong with the database.

Confirmed. 

www.theassimilationlab.com Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again. 

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

But our personal albums are still intact. For example.

I see that too and it only happen when clicking on the Gallery to the left at the top.  Clicking on the "My Gallery" option via the drop down menu in a members profile are still working though. 

I'm not sure why this is kicking in now, but it's because we're running MySQL 5.7 and IP.Board 3.x is not compatible with 5.7.

As I said in the other thread, we need to upgrade to 4.x immediately!

On 2017-10-11 at 5:56 PM, AndalayBay said:

As I said in the other thread, we need to upgrade to 4.x immediately!

Yes, you manage to upgrade IPS to 4.x.

I wonder if it's possible to use the same appearence that avatars had in IPS 3 and apprently it is possible since Game Labs is also using IPS 4. :)

7 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

That was probably me. I've been working with IPS to sort the issues and they released a new version. I couldn't tell who was online at the time, so I went ahead with the upgrade. Sorry about that. :)

I keep TAL up in a pinned tab the entire time I have Firefox open. Does it show me as online the whole time, and would it be better for you if I logged out when I'm not actively browsing?

What's the reason for disabling this " Someone comments on something I follow " option in the notification settings?

I see no reason to disable that option for regular members and right now it's set to be enabled, which I cannot change and I don't like that at all.

@VincentYou did a great job with the theme, but there is one thing that might confuse people and that's the red "Start new topic" button and having a red button on top of a red background is not a good idea.

We’re not changing it. We did make it darker and since we’re changing forum software, the theme will remain as is. There are a few issues with labels and icons not showing up too well, but we’ll be on a new platform in a month or two, so it will suffice for now.

That's odd, for me there is no background to that button (unless I mouse over it, then a very faint see-through button is visible) - the righting is easy for me to read as it is white, not red.

Honestly I do too. Think about working graves & having to read info or type up reports on an MDT (mobile data terminal) with a bright white background, then have something happen next to your car & try to get your eyes adjusted back to the darkness to see what's going on. A lot of the old timers, or those of us that worked especially dangerous districts had special red lights mounted inside so we could write our reports out on paper and not ruin our night vision. Then, hopefully, would have enough time toward end-of-shift to get them typed up or else have to do it off duty at home. If the people who programmed our software had any idea what the actual job was like, they'd have offered a skin like Vincent made. A feature we've only been requesting since they started putting MDTs with a GUI in our cars...  <_<

Sorry, I was just joking. I thought designers of applications that were used at night thought of stuff like that. I’ve seen stuff where they make sure they preserve your night vision. Have you tried amber sunglasses? I switched to amber and they are surprisingly effective at dealing with sunlight while allowing you to see contrast and dark spots. You’d have to continually swap them as you looked from the screen to darkness, but they might preserve your night vision better. Just a thought.

Oh, I know you were joking, and thought it was funny too! No offense taken or intended! :) I was just remarking on my experience being forced to use a "light theme" on the job. People think it was bad having to use it here for a few days, try it in the above scenario where your night vision could mean the difference between being able to tell if that thing somebody is pulling out of their pocket is a cell phone or a .38!  lol

I have used amber shooting glasses, but never liked them much. I didn't want to get used to wearing them while practicing, because I knew I wouldn't be wearing them when/if the time came to pull the trigger. I'm retired now anyway so it doesn't matter.

I tried some amber lenses at the optometrist's office once, but it almost seemed worse looking at their computer screen. From what I've been able to find out, it has something to do with high contrast. For instance, a brown font on a tan background is better than black on white. *shrug* Maybe it's worth it to try them again, as that was several years ago when I was going back to college & working full-time. You know, I think I will. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, you'd think the devs would know better, or at least respond to all the input I'm sure they received. I guess that's what you get when you go with Canadian software.. (Versaterm)  :P  Just kidding Anda.

9 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Yeah it’s white text on a red background. I thought Leo was talking about the red background.

What I meant was the red background color for the button itself and not the red background color for the theme.

8 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Haha. We’re all normal people gamers that prefer the dark skin. The light hurts usssss.

Yeah, you can say that how many times you want. :P

12 hours ago, RavenMind said:

For instance, a brown font on a tan background is better than black on white. *shrug* Maybe it's worth it to try them again, as that was several years ago when I was going back to college & working full-time. You know, I think I will. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, you'd think the devs would know better, or at least respond to all the input I'm sure they received. I guess that's what you get when you go with Canadian software.. (Versaterm)  :P  Just kidding Anda.

Actually that's what I was going to offer as an alternate theme! I have my terminal windows set up with a beige background and brown text and I switched my editor to that theme too. I find it much easier to read and not so glaring.

I switched to amber sunglasses and discovered that they were better at dealing with bright sunshine than my old sunglasses. I also find it easier to read street signs with them when driving. An optometrist recommended them when I told him I was having trouble reading street signs.