• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Leonardo

Leonardo

Reborn Old Timer

• Valenwood Islands Beta Tester
    • Black Marsh Beta Tester
  • 3,665 posts

Every mod that's been released since 2002 has been created by The Elder Scrolls Construction Set (TES CS) and all functions in TES CS worked up to Windows XP, when the integrated WinHlp32.exe (you need that to open Windows Help File) was removed in later Windows versions.  In order to open TES CS Help File you need to install a WinHlp32.exe patch, but doing that might require a Genuine Windows check so just do it before downloading the patch if it's necessary.

The most common used tools for both modders and mod users are listed below.

BSA Browser - It's a tool similar to the BSA Commander for Oblivion, but it has a couple of other features listed below.

• bsapack - It is what it is to pack mod files into a BSA.
  • BSAReg - Register any BSA file that exist in the Data Files folder into <path>MorrowindMorrowind.ini so mods can work properly. It's free to be distributed.  If you cannot register BSA for Tamriel Rebuilt in BSAReg then use the BSA Registration Utility.
  • GetMWRoot - Search in Windows register after the path for the latest installation of Morrowind.

BSA Registration Utility - It does the same thing like the old BSAReg, but the BSA Registration Utility has some useful features. Please note that downloading requires registration (not on MMH and on TAL). 

mlox - Is similar to what BOSS is for Oblivion to sort your loadorder.

escog - This tool is used when you want to get rid of both evil GMST's or harmless GMST's and it's recommended to remove GMST's, but always check the readme first because some mods is cleaned even with GMST's.

Enchanted Editor - Is an advanced editor and has a lot of features that other tools doesn't have, but it's old and hard to understand how it works.

TESFaith - It's a tool that you use for moving exterior cells from one cell to another cell.

TESTool - Is most basic tool there is and you must use TESTool to clean mods with merged objects, but remember sometimes TESTool can create more problems than fixing them so always backup your files.

The Elder Scrolls Advanced Mod Editor - Is a powerful cleaning tool for modders similar to TES4Edit as a cleaning tool, who use TES Advanced Mod Editor before they release a mod or a patch.

TES Mod Utility is another tool similar to TESPCD, but I don't know if anyone are actually using it.

TES Plugin Conflict Detector - IIRC you can use TESPCD to clean mods, but it's an excellent tool for troubleshooting similar to what TES4Edit is for Oblivion.

TES Dependency Tool Kit - You can use it if you need to either add or remove a dependency for a mod for example an updated patch between two mods.

Morrowind Plugin Manager - Is very easy to use for both installation/uninstallation of mods and it also support mp3 files, but it doesn't support .7z archives and Wrye Mash have support for both 7z, MP3-files (only the latest).

Wrye Mash 84 - It's the last development of Wrye him self, but now has both Wrye Mash Stand Alone, by Melchor and Wrye Mash Stand Alone, by Yacoby been released. Everything is now on MMH except for Yacoby's WMSA.

More information here and here.

A couple of other tools can be found with the Wayback Machine so please be patient. Here is a list of other useful tools.

I've probably forgot a lot of tools, but they're the most used for mods in Morrowind today. Please let me know if you know something that's either incorrect or missing in the OP and I'll update it asap. :)

All links to ElricM and FilePlanet (via PES) are no longer working and if you have a mod that was previously hosted on ElricM then PM me your findings or post it in this thread.  All links are now updated.

If you cannot open an archive and have tried with both 7Zip and WinRAR without success then give peazip a try.

Edited by Leonardo, 08 July 2015 - 12:48 PM.
Additional information with links added!

sandor

sandor

Cave Bear

• 64 posts

Thanks very useful! :)

Leonardo

Leonardo

Reborn Old Timer

• 3,665 posts

Updated OP!

Leonardo

Leonardo

Reborn Old Timer

• 3,665 posts

A link for peazip added in the OP.

Leonardo

Leonardo

Reborn Old Timer

• 3,665 posts

Added information about using TES CS help file in later Windows version than Windows XP.

Bisonfan95

Bisonfan95

Amoeba

• 1 posts

Hello!

I don't know if this is the proper thread to ask this but well if not please redirect me :D  I just wanted to know how the Morrowind Code Patch was possible since it includes a modification of the Morrowind.exe I thought you needed the original source code to compile the exe again. How did you (or the developers if they are not here to answer) were able to make a software that "patches" an exe without the source code? (the code is not open source so thats why I ask).

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

#ffc0db Wildebeest under #0000ff Flying Shoes

• Unofficial Morrowind Patch
    • Dark Brotherhood Chronicles
    • Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,090 posts
Hello Bisonfan. Don't worry, we won't hold that against you. :lol:

This is one of those topics that we don't discuss. The Morrowind Code Patch is still in development and the developer is on the Bethesda Official forums. Bethesda knows how they created the patch, but as long as it isn't openly discussed and it's only used to create patches for the executable, they allow the patch to be distributed.
Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Leonardo

Leonardo

Reborn Old Timer

• 3,665 posts

Hello!

I don't know if this is the proper thread to ask this but well if not please redirect me :D  I just wanted to know how the Morrowind Code Patch was possible since it includes a modification of the Morrowind.exe I thought you needed the original source code to compile the exe again. How did you (or the developers if they are not here to answer) were able to make a software that "patches" an exe without the source code? (the code is not open source so thats why I ask).

Welcome to TAL Bisonfan95! :beerchug:

What AndalayBay said about the Morrowind Code Patch (MCP) and you have better luck for getting answers here, but AFAIK the community has never consider the MCP to be a tool instead it's sort of an unofficial game engine patch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users