• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Visceral Moonlight

[HowTo] Using BBCode

The Rich Text Editor (RTE) that IP.Board uses for composing posts and PM's has a lot of nice features, but it also has its share of issues. This is a guide to the BBCode that is supported by this site if you want to compose your posts without using the Rich Text Editor.

Also attached is a definition set for TextPad for BBCode:

bbcode.zip

First, make sure the rich text-editor is disabled. If all of the functions aren't greyed out, then you want to press the light switch in the top left hand corner.

<...> will be used for when something needs to be inserted. Just replace the <...> sequence with the type of data described.

Quoting:

Even with the RTE disabled, you can click the Quote or MultiQuote button under someone's post and their post will be automatically quoted for you. Here is the syntax:

[quote name="<name_of_poster_you_want_to_quote>" post="<post_number>" timestamp="<something>"]<contents_you_want_to_quote>[/quote]
For the post number, you can get this by clicking on the number in the top right of the post you want to quote. You want to click on the number that tells you what number the post is for the thread. So if you have a thread of 5 posts and want to quote the last post, the last post will have a 5 where you want to click. When you click on it, a box will pop up with a URL in this format:

http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/topic/<some_thread_identifier>/?p=<post_number>
What's labeled post number is what should be copied.

The timestamp is the Unix time of the post your are quoting. However, that can be left out. If it's left out, the quote just won't display the time of the quoted post. If the post number is left out, it won't provide a link to the quoted post. If the name is left out, the name of the quoted poster won't be displayed.

One can also use the date attribute to manually enter the date and time.

For example:

[quote name="<name_of_poster_you_want_to_quote>" post="<post_number>" date="16 May 2013 - 02:23 PM"]<contents_you_want_to_quote>[/quote]
Links:

[url=<address>]<text_to_display>[/url]
Text Color:

[color=<either_the_hex_or_basic_color_name]<text>[/color]
For the hex, you'd enter a code like #FFFFFF. For a name, blue. The list of allowed color names is rather limited, however.

Font Type:

[font=<font_names>]<text>[/font]
For the names of the fonts, they are separated by commas and the names themselves can include spaces. For example:

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]aaa[/font]
Font Size:

[size=<some_size_number>]<text>[/size]
The size number corresponds to the position of the desired size in the size drop down in the editor. One can also use just the size on the right of the table below.

Here are the corresponding numbers and their sizes:

Number			Size
1				8
2				10
3				12
4				14
5				18
6				24
7				36
8				48
Other numbers can be used as well, however the size must not be a number that corresponds to either the right or left of the table. So, 10 will set the font to size 10 and 2 will also set the size to 10.

Inserting Supported Media:

[media]<address>[/media]
So for a YouTube video:

[media]youtube.com/<id>[/media]
In order to, instead, have a link to a media element that is ordinarily embedded automatically, one needs to do the following:

[url=<address>]<some_text_that's_not_the_address>[/url]

[img=<address>]
Bold Font:

[b]<text>[/b]
Italic Font:

[i]<text>[/i]
Underlined Text:

[u]<text>[/u]
Struck Through:

[s]<text>[/s]
To make a subscript:

[sub]<text_to_go_lower>[/sub]
To make a superscript:

[sup]<text_to_go_higher>[/sup]
Lists:

Bulleted:

[list][*]<list_item>[/*][/list]
Numbered:

[list=1][*]<list_item>[/*][/list]
Code Tag:

(Due to technical issues with the board software, the code tag examples include spaces after the [ and before the ]. Those spaces will need to be removed for them to work.)

[ code ]<code_to_not_be_parsed>[ /code ]
One can also use:

[ code=<some_lang_id>:<line_number> ]<code>[ /code ]
The line number can be used for normal use, as well. In which case it becomes auto:<number>

The default number is 0.

For highlighting of code for specific languages.

The following are supported:

Language		ID
JavaScript		js
HTML			html
SQL			sql
CSS			css
XML			xml
Spoiler Tag:

[spoiler]<text_to_hide>[/spoiler]
Indentation:

[indent=<level>]<text_to_be_indented>[/indent]
Level is 1 or greater. In order to not indent, the tags need to be left out as 0 doesn't do anything.

Text Alignment:

Left aligned:

No alignment tags

Center:

[center]<text_to_center>[/center]
Right aligned:

[right]<text_to_go_right>[/right]
Acronym:

[acronym='<text_to_display_on_hover>']<text_to_display_in_post>[/acronym]
Background Color:

[background=<either_the_hex_or_basic_color_name]<text>[/background]
Horizontal Rule:

[hr]
Member Link:

[member='<member_name>']
This adds a link to a member's profile without having to copy the entire URL.

Progress Bar:

[progress=<number_from_0_to_100>]
Table:

[table][tr][td]<text_for_cell_n>[/td][/tr][/table]
So:

[table][tr]
[td]1[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]3[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Gives:

1	2
3	4
Also note, that a single post can only contain a total of 500 table cells.

Some tags, namely the ones that control text formatting, can be nested together. In the case of nesting, the closest tag that was used needs to be closed first.

For example:

[b][color=black]<text>[/color][/b]
Otherwise, strange things may happen.

Also note that the tags which create boxes (the spoiler tag, code tag, quote tag, etc) add newlines before the opening tag and after the closing tag on post submission, so keep that in mind when formatting a post.

Edited by Visceral Moonlight
New version of Textpad BBcode file

Also note that the Spoiler tag could be broken when copying contents of a post and something like this will be missing.

Spoiler Tag:

[spoiler]<text_to_hide>[/spoiler]
Copying a post with the BBCode quote tag

Spoiler Tag:

[spoiler]<text_to_hide>

That's a difference with the board software and not really a topic for this thread. :)

I think it's relevant for this topic, because it seems to me that there is a bug in forum software that the spoiler tag gets broken due to copying content in posts.

All I wanted to do is share my insights about the BBCode spoiler tag that could be broken after copying contents of a post. :)

All I wanted to do is share my insights about the BBCode spoiler tag that could be broken after copying contents of a post. :)

That's why I think it's more appropriate to the other thread. This thread just explains how to use BB code tags for the IP.Board if you don't want to use the Rich Text Editor. :)

Guys do you know what I just discover.

The anchor tag does exist in IP.Board forum software, but the devs team just hide it a little to much.

If you click on the insert a link button and click on the pull down menu.  Just use the middle one I think and you'll have something like this.

"Link to content in post"

Edited by Leonardo

I already looked and the only one I found had been removed sometime in the last 5 months.

Well I looked in the old mod category a few minutes ago and there were a mod that adds a BBCode anchor tag into a post.  The mod is free of charge. :)

Anchor BBCode

I already looked and the only one I found had been removed sometime in the last 5 months.

Well I looked in the old mod category a few minutes ago and there were a mod that adds a BBCode anchor tag into a post.  The mod is free of charge. :) Anchor BBCode

I just looked at it and it's not going to work. It's the same as the first method I tried out.

What was the first method you tried?  Have you tried to install the mod differently than the first time?

The way I see it is that the mod requires two parts of the code before the BBCode Anchor tag can work. :)

There's only one way to install it.It won't work because it doesn't allow for duplicate tag names. So it'll mess up if someone accidentally picks an ID that's not part of the post or if someone else uses the same anchor name.It also uses a deprecated HTML attribute. Don't know why it does. :shrug:

There's only one way to install it.It won't work because it doesn't allow for duplicate tag names. So it'll mess up if someone accidentally picks an ID that's not part of the post or if someone else uses the same anchor name.

I don't understand how a BBCode tag can be duplicated when it's the same BBCode tag that has a link from A to B destination in a same post. :shrug:

Also it's almost impossible for someone to mess it up when an ID for an anchor tag, because such BBCode anchor tag is unique e.g "linked post#a" or similar (not sure how an anchor tag as a link will be in IP.Board).

This anchor tag as a link is copied from TWC - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?272139-STARTPOS-ESF-analysis-and-modifications-HYBRID-startpos-esf#a

No it can't be correct because an anchor tag "eg" made by me is unique and yours "eg" anchor tag is also unique.  So it means that yours "eg" anchor must have a link to post your post while mine post has an unique post link for mine "eg" anchor tag.

More information about the anchor tag from WikiPedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_tag#Anchor

Edited by Leonardo

It's not unique, that's the problem. The way that the solution you linked to does it, it cannot make it unique.It sees this:

<a name = "eg">stuff</a><a name = "eg">stuff2</a>
In doing that, stuff2 cannot be linked to. All links to "eg" go to stuff.Trust me, I tested it a couple of weeks ago. :)