• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

[HowTo] Add Images to Posts

First, the easiest way to access your gallery albums is to click on the drop-down menu next to your member name in the upper right of the forums. Select My Gallery from the menu. Note that the link is only available if you have created an album. There are three methods you can use to add images to posts.

• Attach the image file to your post by clicking on the Choose Files... button under the post editor. If you don't see that button, click on the Use Full Editor or More Reply Options button. Once you've uploaded the image, place the cursor where your want the image to display and then click Add to Post next to the image file. This will eat into your overall file upload quota.
  • Upload the images to the Gallery. All members can create up to four albums. Albums can be public or private. Now here's where it gets interesting:
    • You can upload an image to your album. Click on the image to open the detail view. Right click on the image and select Direct link to this image file from the little menu that appears.

gallery_745_41_64019.jpg

The image will open in a new page. Copy the URL. In your post, use the IMG tags to embed the image in your post. Or you can click on the little picture icon in the post toolbar and paste that URL into the box. The image will display like this:

gallery_1_2_122112.jpg

For images from I Can Has Cheezburger, you'll need to right-click on the image and click "Open Image" or "View Image", depending on your browser. From there, you add download.jpg after the last "/".

For example:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7965704448/hEE0DF07F/
      becomes

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7965704448/hEE0DF07F/download.jpg
    • Upload the image to the gallery, but use the My Media option from the toolbar to share your images. I believe your gallery album has to be public for that to work. It will also only show a thumbnail of the images. But once again, this will not count against your upload file quota. Using My Media makes an image appear like this:

Britannia Outside

Images shared that way do take up less space in your post. They are handy when the image is helpful, but not vital to the content of the post.

• Upload the image to the gallery, but copy the IMG tags from the Options -> Share Links -> BBCode section like this:

gallery_745_41_265486.png

Hopefully this explains the options for embedding images. Please post here if you have any questions.

Edited by deaths_soul
Adding some additional information

There is no tiny images option. The first picture is a screenshot of my gallery album. I'm just showing how you right-click on an image to get the direct link. The little images underneath are just the navigation thumbnails you see when you click on an image in a gallery album.The second image, shown under option II, is by using the My Media toolbar button. That will add a large thumbnail of the image to your post.

That will add a large thumbnail of the image to your post.

How do you add large pictures like they're in this thread?

The reason I ask is because every picture I added in the TW tutorials are too small and I wonder how do I make them in the same size as those pictures I linked to. :unsure:

You need to be looking at the gallery album exactly like I have in the first screenshot: with the big version of the image and the little thumbnails underneath. Then you right click on the large image and select "Direct link to this image file" from the menu. When the image opens in your browser, you have to copy the entire URL yourself from the address bar. That's what you paste into the image tags.

Yes, it's really dumb, awkward and way too difficult. *sigh*

Do you know what aggravates me most about adding images into a post?  Well you have already guess it, because I did exactly the same thing I was doing when I posted all these TW-tutorials and TW-mods with ALL pictures I could get.

But does those pictures look like these pictures seen here as they're hell no they don't and do not ask me why, because I'm too much annoyed atm. :wallbash:

Leo - That's because you're using the Shared Media method, as explained in section 2-II in the OP. You need to follow the steps in 2-I. If you can wait until later, DS will have new instructions for method 2-I that will be easier to follow.

Leo - That's because you're using the Shared Media method, as explained in section 2-II in the OP. You need to follow the steps in 2-I. If you can wait until later, DS will have new instructions for method 2-I that will be easier to follow.

Damn...  I knew it there were something I didn't do right.  Thanks Anda. :)

Uh, question: how do you add a thumbnail to the post in the new version? They changed the UI in the gallery and I can only figure out how to directly embed images.

Edit:

So you just post the link now? Is there a more user friendly way of doing it? I don't always want the link to auto-embed itself.

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

VM, I think I've found a way to do what you want. Since we're talking about pictures, I've included many. :P The resized images can be clicked on to display the full size, acting as a "real" thumbnail.

I know you're tech savvy enough not to need all the images & arrows, but was hoping others might benefit from this info too. Feel free to edit or remove as seen fit. :)

Insert images & scale down to thumbnail size:

1. Click "Insert other media", then "Insert existing attachment".

large.5a1632a1949e7_InsertAttachment.png.75a7e668138ae53aa004ad15f50194a4.png

2. Choose Gallery Images to pick one from your Gallery (Album), or Post Attachments if you're looking for one you put in a previous post, but not in your Albums. Then Click the checkbox for the chosen image(s), and click "Insert # Selected".

large.5a1638a17ea5e_PickingtheImage.png.d5b7b95180a612196f866f4482bcf697.png

3. Click on the image to select it, position your cursor on one of the drag anchors, and click & drag to size the image down to the desired (thumbnail) size.

This can also be done if you chose "Insert image from URL" instead of "Insert existing attachment" in step 1. This should be all you need to do, but I have run across images that, for some reason, resizing via click & drag wouldn't work. If this is happening, go to the next step.

large.5a1638a4930ba_Altersize.png.be04726c8a66633bb47f702adcdcf219.png

4. If resizing via click & drag didn't change the image size, hold Ctrl & right-click on the image. Then select "Edit Image".

large.Ctrl-RtClick.png.1f71df69122dd1861e8f50eb36739409.png

5. Now you can manually scale down the image to the desired size. Click "Update" when finished.

large.5a1638abb1a9a_ChangeValue.png.24ade0f9383e87e2253babfd4e101a3a.png

Link to an image without embedding:

You can create a link without embedding the image. Either use the "Insert other media" button or paste (Ctrl+v) the link location into the post. It will auto-embed the image. At the bottom of the screen, an info box will come up. Click "Display as a link instead", and it will remove the embedded image & post the link instead. It's important not to click anywhere else before clicking on "Display as a link instead", otherwise the option to do so will disappear.

5a1663fa4b2ad_DisplayLinkInstead.png.f17110253b33a1219cf4a10df7f0c17d.png

On 8/9/2013 at 3:42 PM, AndalayBay said:

Click on the image to open the detail view. Right click on the image and select Direct link to this image file from the little menu that appears.

Upload the image to the gallery, but copy the IMG tags from the Options -> Share Links -> BBCode

Too bad these options don't seem to exist anymore. That's ok, I'll live. :)

Edited by RavenMind

7 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I have no idea. They don't even have a quick way to get to your gallery albums anymore.

This is the only way I've found. I'll try using my own method above. :P

1. Click Avatar

large.5a166e45b8315_1-ClickAvatar.png.28d3974ea9b45da2f2cfd1ea2f55c1ee.png

2. Click the Albums Tab

large.5a166e462c4c7_2-ClickAlbums.png.524db1d2b777b6e0412de45e4f0e7430.png

3. Click on the desired Album.

large.5a166e47b8950_3-AlbumsTab.png.bb03e3f273f9fd027cc75641097aee0e.png

I have yet to find a way to delete images from albums without deleting the whole album. Maybe a settings/config issue? I also wasn't able to delete a file I uploaded. I used the Report button to request removal, thinking that was the way it was supposed to work...perhaps not..?

Edited by RavenMind