• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
'Drea

Kitties!!

Doesn't matter for him - I was knitting it when he was a tiny baby, and it grew as he grew, and now it's apparently as much a part of me as I am.

Edit:  Give me a bit to find the pictures.

Edited by Amadaun

So I asked my sister...

I'll spare you the text of the conversation - the short version is that if you don't want to neuter Pascal you're going to have to put up with him being bad tempered and violent, the more you coop him up the worse he'll be. I think the word she used to describe two cats mating was "horrible" in the context of British behaviour.

So - yeah - cat-flap - wild oats etc.

Sorry, kinda wish I hadn't asked.

That's a worst-case scenario with an aggressive breed like Bengals. At the last cat show I was at, there was a male Bengal who was so wild that the owner had to put diapers on him and walk him on a leash when he wasn't being shown. Every single time he was put in a cage for the show, he would spray. He got Ada really upset.

Pascal is actually pretty good. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't making things worse by "rough-housing" with him. It sounds like it might help him get rid of some extra energy. I have been letting him out in the backyard lately and when he comes back in, he can be rather excited for a while. I will separate him from Ada if he gets too rough, but she will give him a cuff across the head and he has started to back off, so hopefully they'll sort it out. I have an enclosure I can use if I need to isolate the cats from one another.

Thanks for asking though. I was curious to hear what she would say.

We do not trim the Pippin.  The Pippin bites things that make scary noises and we enjoy having fingers.  So we stick to brushing.

It's not his fault that he can't see very well!  *cuddles little ball of murder*

Ada talks in her sleep! I heard a very clear MEOW and turned to see that Ada was sleeping in my chair. She was on her back and her paws were twitching - she was definitely asleep. A couple of minutes later I heard another sound and turned to see her clearly MEOW. It was very cute. :lmao: I've heard little noises before, but never such clear meows!

Well, tonight it was Pascal's turn to check out the garage roofs. However, unlike Ada, once he got up there, his reaction was "Ok, now what do I do?". We called him and he quickly came back and with some encouragement, jumped down onto the fence and came over to Jimi where Jimi was able to grab him. Now we'll have to keep a closer eye on him too because he'll no doubt gain confidence and will start wandering farther afield. No roof walking tonight for Jimi though. :P

So...Ada talks in her sleep, I've had cats run in their sleep, and then there's Merry Bobble.  My chubby bundle of cat.

She eats in her sleep.  It's ADORABLE.

*omnomnom*  *swallow*  *lick nose*  *omnomnom*

Okay you guys, I could do with your thoughts on the following.

I've come back from Frightfest and it's clear that Blue and Echo have missed me.  However, Blue has become very clingy and this isn't calming down - it's not a one day thing.  She is choosing me over Echo and I suspect it's because she is missing Jacob's company.  Often, I'd be working at my desk and both cats would curl up together on the chair in my room.  Now I have a constant lap-cat who digs her claws in and complains if I need to get up.  She is following me everywhere during the day and attempting to climb up me if I try to do something.

I know that Siamese cats do bond very firmly with one human and I've been that human all along, but I suspect that Jacob eased that situation without my being aware.

My plan has been to gradually reduce our animal family until we're down to just one cat, but I'm now wondering if it would be best for Blue to change that plan and get her a male kitten companion.

What do you think?

I honestly don't know. I've always heard that females don't like younger males and that's always been my experience. Would it be feasible to take Blue to a shelter and see if she picks out any of the cats up for adoption? I have no idea if they would permit that or if it would work.

I think Amadaun would be the one to ask here. She's always had multiple cats and somehow finds a way to make it work.

Blue adored Pickle when she was a kitten and mothered her, but took to becoming aggressive once Pickle reached maturity and spraying.  To be honest, I've only ever experienced problems with females not liking other females, but I agree, it's hard to know. 

Blue clearly liked Jacob and he was very laid back with other cats in general.  Rob and I are wondering if an easy going breed, for instance a British Shorthair, would work.  We also considered getting an older male cat, but Rob feels that if we are to do this, it should be a kitten so we get the joy of having a youngster along with the amount of care and sadness which comes with them growing old.  

I've had as many as 4 cats at one time and, once the two females settled, they all got on very well.  When we moved here, I kept them in for 2 weeks and then introduced them to the back garden while I was washing my car towards the rear of the drive.  They were so funny.  With Coco in the lead, they went round the garden in a line.  So Brandy (nicknamed Psycho cat) followed Coco, Willow followed Brandy and Jacob brought up the rear.  They spent over 10 minutes doing a circuit of their new garden and only when they came back to me did they begin to separate.  I usually find it takes a couple of weeks for a new cat to settle in with those animals who are already in the home.  Blue will welcome a new kitten, but I'm unsure of whether she will treat a maturing male the same way she treated Pickle.

Pickle is my avatar.  She was hand reared and soft as grease.  A lovely natured animal who was huge.  Pickle could have flattened Blue with one paw if she'd chosen to!  

It sounds like you might be right then. I will say that neutered males are a lot different than intact males. In fact it fixes all their bad behaviours, so clearly neutering all our males would solve our problems. :P I keep saying that joke to Jimi and I just get a Hmpf as a reply. :lol:

Just make sure you get papers. They should give you a breeder registration form that you can use to register your kitten. If the kittens aren't registered, then the price is rather high, imo. It's also possible that they register each kitten, but that's pretty unusual. But yeah, you can't go wrong with a Brit. :D

I think Amadaun would be the one to ask here. She's always had multiple cats and somehow finds a way to make it work.

My solution to everything is always MORE CATS!

On a more serious note, it's probably not a good idea to get a new cat right away.  (And you might not even need to.)  Blue's already upset because Jacob's not there and that's a familiar cat gone missing.  Adding an unfamiliar cat into the mix will probably stress her out more.

I think she's being super-clingy because she thought that you had left forever as well.  I'd say pamper her and distract her for a week or so and see how she's doing.

While TAL was offline, Ada gave birth to her first litter of kittens. This was not planned! The renovations are still going on and we're living in the basement while they finish. It was already too crowded for two humans and two cats. *sigh* It was hard to keep Ada and Pascal apart, but Ada also escaped a few times. In fact she was trapped in a neighbour's backyard by another cat one night and it's entirely possible he's the sire. I was sure she wasn't in heat at the time but she was just leaving a heat and cats can still be receptive in the week following a heat cycle.

Ama, Sue and VM already know this as I sent them an email while the site was offline. She had four kittens and I had to help with all four. I was worried that I had handled the kits too much, but three of them are doing very well. Unfortunately it looks like we might lose of the kits. Ama, Sue and VM, the tabby kit is in distress. He may not make it to tomorrow. I rushed out and got replacement milk and a bottle and tried to feed him, but he can't nurse. I force fed as much formula as I could. At least he's nestled in with the others. He was separated from the rest of the litter this afternoon. We'll see how he is in the morning and I'll call the vet to see if we can save him. I checked the kits this afternoon and the others are a good size and look healthy. As near as I can tell, they're all boys.

That's sad Lori  :cry:  and strangely similar to what happened with my birthing cat.  Two out of three survived - one died on the fourth day despite hand feeding.  There is a possibility that the kitten has a defect which means it cannot survive.  You can only do what you are doing.  Is Ada is ignoring the tabby kit?  Fingers and toes crossed.

Re papers - this is familiar territory as Echo and Blue are pedigrees, so no worries there.

@ Ama - that hadn't occurred to me.  Even after I'd been in hospital for almost 3 weeks Blue was fine and life was very disruptive for quite a period around then.  My biggest issue with the way she's clinging is that I'm getting pierced and scratched.  Technically, I should go to A & E each time this happens due to my immune system being supressed.  Her behaviour pattern is approaching 4 days, so I'll see how she progresses next week.  One option is to get her claws clipped, but I'm concerned she won't be able to climb the fence etc., in the garden.  She loves sitting on our neighbours shed roof.

Trimming her claws will spare you but she'll still be able to climb - they don't need long claws for that and it actually helps them too as they don't get their claws stuck. There are claw caps, but as with most things when it comes to cats' claws, there is a debate on how humane they are. They do prevent your cat from retracting her claws, so I usually keep my guys claws trim and use tin foil to discourage them scratching the furniture. I think Blue will become less clingy once she's settled down. In the meantime, I recommend thick denim. :) Or chaps. :D

Ada is ignoring him, but it's odd, after a few forced feedings, he was back in the fold even though it's obvious he hasn't improved. I have a cat bed that includes a heating pad and I'll move him to that if Ada and/or the other kits aren't keeping him warm. I plan to call the vet in the morning if he's still hanging on to see if there's anything we can do.