• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
'Drea

Kitties!!

Okay, I've bottle fed Pippin, so this is what you need to know.

1) For a brand-new baby, just use a dropper.  Their stomachs are very small.

2)  Make sure the baby is warm.

3) Don't force formula on the baby because they can drown.  Go slow.

4) Rub their nose/between their ears to stimulate the nursing reflex.

And if you want to Skype with me, I'm online.

While TAL was offline, Ada gave birth to her first litter of kittens. This was not planned! The renovations are still going on and we're living in the basement while they finish. It was already too crowded for two humans and two cats. *sigh* It was hard to keep Ada and Pascal apart, but Ada also escaped a few times. In fact she was trapped in a neighbour's backyard by another cat one night and it's entirely possible he's the sire. I was sure she wasn't in heat at the time but she was just leaving a heat and cats can still be receptive in the week following a heat cycle.

Ama, Sue and VM already know this as I sent them an email while the site was offline. She had four kittens and I had to help with all four. I was worried that I had handled the kits too much, but three of them are doing very well. Unfortunately it looks like we might lose of the kits. Ama, Sue and VM, the tabby kit is in distress. He may not make it to tomorrow. I rushed out and got replacement milk and a bottle and tried to feed him, but he can't nurse. I force fed as much formula as I could. At least he's nestled in with the others. He was separated from the rest of the litter this afternoon. We'll see how he is in the morning and I'll call the vet to see if we can save him. I checked the kits this afternoon and the others are a good size and look healthy. As near as I can tell, they're all boys.

Oh no, losing one is always sad. :(

He made it through the night. In fact I had put him in a pet bed that comes with a heating pad and covered him with a piece of flannel blanket. When I checked this morning, he wasn't there! Ada had retrieved him and brought him back to the nest, so she's figured out how to carry her kits. Anyway I called the vet and I'm headed over there right now. I'll post an update when I get back.

Yeah we decided it would be less stress on us, the other kits and Ada. The vet said we'd have to get to the weaning stage before they could operate and there was just no way we could feed him. I had tried a cotton swab dipped in milk and he couldn't even deal with that.

To give you an idea of the difference in size, the other kits are 105g, 110g and 115g whereas the sick kit was only 64g. I weighed them last night. I'll weigh them again tonight and they should be even bigger. I'll take some pictures and post them up.

It's an unfortunate reality when breeding animals. That's why they have so many offspring.

The other three are doing great. Here's a pic of the three nursing tonight:

Kits

The one on the left I call Silver. He's the biggest at 143.7 g as of tonight. I'm pretty sure he is male. The one in the middle I call Brown Tabby. I think it's a girl. She weighs 128.6 g as of tonight. I call the one on the right Brown. I think she's a girl too and she weighs 130.6 g.

Edited by AndalayBay

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm focusing on the three remaining kits and they are doing very well, so I'm doing fine. I also understand the problem a lot better now and I think I'll be able to deal with it better should it happen again. I'll examine the kittens sooner and if any have a problem, I'll get on it right away and see how it goes. This is my first litter too, so it was a learning experience. One of the vets was prepared to take the kit home and hand feed him, but once she saw how bad the cleft was, she said it wasn't feasible.

On a brighter note, the interplay between Pascal and Ada is absolutely hilarious now. She's much happier and not hissing and is having fun teasing Pascal. At first Pascal was afraid of her. I guess she smelled different and it freaked him out. He's settled down now and they are having fun playing with each other. Ada leaves the nest quite frequently but the kits are sleeping quietly, so I'm not concerned. Anyway on one of the occasions that she left, Pascal got the nerve to go into the enclosure and check out the kits. I know Pascal very well, so I would recognize the signs if he was going to be aggressive with the kits. He sniffed at the kits, backed off immediately and quickly left the enclosure. It was clear that he didn't want anything to do with the shit that was going on in there! :rofl: He hasn't gone back in since. I lock Ada in the enclosure when we're away or sleeping, but I leave it open most of the time otherwise. She goes back to tend to the kits on her own.

Excellent news!  :beerchug: How are the kittens today?

I have some news.  Rob and I were out with Echo a lot this weekend and Blue was very unhappy about it.  We've done this before but she's had Jacob for company and has been perfectly fine.  We had a discussion and today I bought home a British Shorthair kitten.  His colour is blue and we've named him Pocket Pippin, Pip for short.  Rob wanted to call him Pocket due to his size.  Here's a couple of pics.

WP 20170905 13 03 05 Pro

WP 20170905 14 59 06 Pro

He's adorable! He definitely has the Brit smile. Have you introduced him to Blue yet? Have a look at those paws - he might be small now, but he's going to be big once he's full-grown.

The kits are doing great. I changed part of the bedding today and I swear one of them was trying to hiss at me! They're not even a week old yet, but their eyes are starting to open. One of the browns opened his mouth and made this funny noise when I was placing the bedding in the other half of the nest. It wasn't a cry. I think he wasn't impressed with being disturbed. :rofl: Actually it might be a female. If so, she's just like Ada.

I've seen both the parents and his father is huge.  Mum looked a normal size and both cats were well cared for.

Pip's only been here for a few hours and was very scared by Echo's boisterous greeting even tho' he was in the closed carrier.  Blue then approached him a little while later and he hissed and tried to strike her - didn't even hit the bars - but his actions shocked Blue who, ever since, has been skirting around making eye contact when she dares. 

Apart from when I spent an hour doing something, I've stayed on the sofa with the open carrier on the coffee table next to me.  Pip has gradually come out, he's met and likes Rob and has explored most of the living room.  He's becoming very curious about Echo, who has left him alone and been really well behaved.  Once Pip found the windowsill and his reflection (we have no nets) this evening, he went into play mode.  I've just popped him back into the carrier so he's safe during the night and he isn't bothered that Echo is on the sofa which is level with the coffee table. 

Blue is now on my lap.  She smelt my hands and clothing before settling and is fine.  I think things should improve quite quickly, but I always allow for two weeks.

Pip is already getting used to being handled and he's very affectionate towards me.  I've had head rubs, been groomed and nibbled.  As soon as Pip hears my voice he starts to purr and is already stretching towards me for me to lift him up or off wherever he is situated.  Rob is completely smitten and has also received purrs and head rubs.  I'm so pleased I decided to look for a Blue British Shorthair - it's his favourite breed and, for over a year, he's had a soft spot for the one who comes into the shop.  

Sue, just one thing, please don't leave Pip in the carrier for long periods of time. You might know this, but cats aren't like dogs. They can't be kennelled or crated. They need a cage large enough for a litterbox and water. I recommend finding a room for him where he's safe with a litterbox and water. British Shorthairs need lots of toys or they will find their own things to play with - usually things you really don't want them playing with. This is especially true for males. :D

Male Brits are absolute sucks. He will be on your lap all the time. If you sleep on the couch, don't be surprised if you wind up with a purring oven resting on your tummy.

We've organised a safe room which is working well. It is where Echo currently sleeps due to the building work, hence my playing safe last night. I did put both water and food in. However, I woke up at 2.30am and couldn't get back to sleep so I went down, let Pip out and all was fine. He's been brave enough this morning to check Echo out. Echo just lay there and let him sniff. ☺

We've organised a safe room which is working well. It is where Echo currently sleeps due to the building work, hence my playing safe last night. I did put both water and food in. However, I woke up at 2.30am and couldn't get back to sleep so I went down, let Pip out and all was fine. He's been brave enough this morning to check Echo out. Echo just lay there and let him sniff. ☺

That is so sweet. I guess Echo realized he was freaking the cat out. :lol:

Btw, I'm not just giving my opinion regarding cats and crates. I asked a vet after my first cat died from kidney failure and that's the advice she gave me. Since then, I've noted that any company that sells "cat condos" or "cat patios" pretty much says the same thing. You'll also notice that kennels and boarding facilities always have litter boxes and water available for cats. I just wanted to clarify that in case you guys thought I was just giving my opinion. :)

Kittens are now 1 week old. Their eyes are open, so we tried to take some close-ups. I was trying to get them to lay in my open palm, but they had other ideas. :P

Silver1wk

Silver showing off his lungs. Ada came running to see what was going on. :P

Silver1wk2

The next two are photos of Light brown.

LtBrown1wk

LtBrown1wk2

DkBrown1wk

Dark brown was mewing in this one, but we didn't get her with her mouth open.

DkBrown1wk2

Edited by AndalayBay