• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
'Drea

Kitties!!

As an adult cat he looks gorgeous.  As a kitten - weird.  I don't know whether to like that post or not.... :blink:  

Edited by Sue

For those that don’t know, I’m now a professional cat breeder of British Shorthairs. Today I talked to the president of the Canadian Cat Association as she works to get me set up with a mentor. We had a fun chat and I got some interesting advice. Here are some fun facts about breeding cats.

1. Did you know that bathing a cat for a show is a 7 step process? I don’t know what those 7 steps are yet, but obviously just giving them a bath and blow dry doesn’t cut it. :lol:
  2. You have to get your cat tested for known genetic defects to make sure your cat doesn’t carry those genes.
  3. The woman I spoke to bought a cat from a breeder that was an excellent forger. She forged the test results to show the cat as being negative whereas she was actually double positive and therefore unbreedable. The cat was kept as a pet and with the woman’s diligence, has survived to be eight years old. The defect in this case is a heart defect.
  4. You have to watch out for Chinese brokers who will buy cats here to ship them to China. They wind up in big warehouses to be sold to the highest bidder where they are bred until they are dead. There are many Chinese who love cats and are quite affluent, so they care for their pets. Basically I was told to use translation services to deal with potential buyers directly and not deal with brokers.
  5. You shouldn’t have more than one intact male cat because they will compete for territory and it’s hard to keep them all satisfied. You need lots of queens to keep a male cat happy. :lmao:
  6. I knew I was breaking rule no. 5 when I got a second breeding pair, but it was a deal I couldn’t pass up. Unfortunately the cats were mistreated by the woman that had imported them and I’m now working on getting them socialized. The male attacks Pascal on sight and he sprays (pees on furniture and stuff to mark his territory). I am buying “stud pants” for him, or, in other words, diapers.
  7. We use UV lights to find the bad spots (where cats have marked or vomited) and use products with enzymes and bacteria to break down the urine and remove the odour. Those are on order now. :P

Female cats that haven’t been spayed will go into heat every three weeks from January until September. As the author of a book on breeding that I read put it, females are either in heat, pregnant or spayed. Heat lasts for a week to ten days. So I have screaming females, with frustrated screaming males, one of which pees all over the place if I let him run loose. I finally get peaceful silence for nine weeks if I let them breed. Then I have adorable kittens to wean and rehome. Vacations are now a thing of the past. Yes, I wanted to do this.

Morale of the story: get your cats fixed unless you really want to breed pedigree cats. There are gazillions of unwanted animals waiting to be adopted.

One last fact: pedigree is the term for purebred cats. Purebred is the term for dogs.

Another interesting fact: did you know that there is makeup for dogs and cats? It’s called grooming powder. You buy it in a colour that will enhance the colour of your pet’s coat during a show. However you have to make sure you don’t use too much. If the judge detects the powder on your pet’s fur, you will be penalized. Basically you apply it with a makeup brush, like what women use to apply foundation or blush powder. Then you comb it out of their fur. It absorbs oil and enhances the colour. 

A certain fluffy bundle of murder needed his butt cleaned and trimmed today.  It required three people and a towel.

I was only murdered a little.  *hand bleeds everywhere*

Yeah I had a similar experience tonight. I had to give Curie some meds tonight and Jimi and I both have the wounds to show for it. :P

From the articles I’ve read, they suggest wrapping your bundle of fury in a towel to protect everyone involved. ;l)

Here are some pictures of my queen, Ada, just before she delivered her new litter. She was really big this time. The second picture shows dad, Pascal, walking by. I have descriptions of each image in my gallery album, here.

large.Ada_Pregnant1.jpglarge.Ada_Pregnant2.jpglarge.Ada_Pregnant3.jpglarge.Ada_Pregnant4.jpglarge.Ada_Pregnant5.jpg

Here are some pictures of Ada with her new kittens. Sorry for the fuzziness on some of them. The enclosure is fairly dark and I had to snap the pictures quickly in some cases. You can see the cord for the heating pad in some of the pictures. After Ada climbed out of the nest and laid on the cool floor, I realized it was too hot and removed the pad.

large.Ada_with_kits_20180328-1.jpg

As I said in the description for this picture, quickly taking pictures can lead to some unfortunate poses. :lmao:

large.Ada_with_kits_20180328-2.jpglarge.Ada_with_kits_20180328-3.jpg

large.Ada_with_kits_20180328-4.jpg

Now some pics showing the kits on their own.

large.Newborns_20180328-2.jpglarge.Newborns_20180328-3.jpg

Where's mom? In the next two pictures, I'm doing the daily weighing of each kit. I think you can see why I need to use nail polish on their back claws to tell them apart. They are mewing for mom in these pictures and she's anxiously waiting in the nest for me to return them.

large.Newborns_20180328-4.jpglarge.Newborns_20180328-5.jpg

Edited by AndalayBay

It didn’t for me either! I think IPB changed how the pictures are displayed. You used to get a little window with the description on the right, but it looks like they removed that feature.

I removed the comment about the descriptions and added a link to my gallery album.

Yep. The parents are Ada and Pascal. Lots of pics of them here. Figuring out the possible colour combinations is one of the interesting aspects of breeding cats. Ada and Pascal both have one Golden Shaded parent or grandparent, so that will kick in as well, as you can see from the Kittens page on my website that I just linked. I haven't seen any golden in the latest kits yet, but it might appear later.

Now one thing to clarify is that their faces have always been mostly white - it's just hard to see in the previous pictures I posted.

Nice webpage. Is that Ada at the top? Was half expecting the main picture to change when navigating the tabs- perhaps still frames of an Ada movie- so if you click the tabs fast, it makes like a movie. :)

Nope, that's Pascal. I plan to add more pictures. Amadaun also created a logo for me so I'll be adding that too. I also have two more adults, named Darwin and Curie. I have to get their pictures uploaded too.