• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
'Drea

Kitties!!

7 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I’ve had cats that don’t react to citrus! My first cat didn’t like citrus and we used to scatter citrus peels around the Christmas tree to keep him at bay, but all our cats since just play with the peels! Doesn’t faze Brits at all. Mind you, water doesn’t faze them much either. :rofl:

Yeah, that doesn't work here! I throw out my peels in my garden for compost and they still come! :P

6 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Get a scatmat or make your own?

Reveal hidden contents

They may not like steel wire coil mesh mats either. Or try attaching one of these to your current mat.

I can try foil, thanks. :)

I think there's certain plants that cats don't like, you could plant some of them.

Or you can seed-bomb a vacant lot with catnip and send all the cats over there!

I can hear the yowling now.

Btw, my little ones are really good climbers. They are only six weeks old, but they’ve climbed to the closed barrel, which is about 4 ft high. What’s even more impressive, they’ve figured out how to climb back down - backwards. :D

On 5/6/2018 at 10:36 PM, AndalayBay said:

I can hear the yowling now.

Btw, my little ones are really good climbers. They are only six weeks old, but they’ve climbed to the closed barrel, which is about 4 ft high. What’s even more impressive, they’ve figured out how to climb back down - backwards. :D

I give you:  Infant Max (a decade ago.)  Little asshole scaled me like Everest to get that toy.
2008_12_24 156.jpg

2008_12_24 158.jpg

Edit:  Yes, I have very tiny feet.

I’ve read in various sources that male Brits aren’t fully developed until they’re 3 or 4 years old. It might be just muscle mass, but when fully developed they should be quite solid. Apparently it’s testosterone that gives them the big cheeks, or JOWLS, as Ama puts it. :lmao:

Are the cats nice and gentle?  Rescue cats may have seen some troublesome times in their days.  Plus some animals can plain be assholes...

No, they can’t. My mother didn’t like my cat running around at night, making noise and jumping on the furniture, so she locked him in the closet at night, with no litterbox or water. She didn’t understand cats, only dogs, who can be put in a cage at night. They call it kenneling. When my cat peed on some soft stuff in a box, she called it spite. She was dead wrong. She was attributing human emotion to a cat. For him, it was as simple as having to pee and finding something that resembled their natural instinct to pee and hide it.

You can put a cat in a cage for the night, but you need to provide them with water and a litterbox. My mother’s treatment of my cat led to him having kidney failure at 14. His food was also a contributing factor.

Animals react in ways that we don’t always understand. I am not a dog person, but even dogs don’t always act the way we expect. Both cats and dogs need to trust humans and when they are abused, they will lash out as they try to defend themselves. So no, cats are not nice and gentle. Abused cats are scared and you will be met with teeth and claws. You need to approach them slowly and calmly. And just like men, the way to a cat’s heart is with treats (food). :D 

Posted (edited)

Good info, AB.  I'm no stranger to animals.  Growing up we kept 6 - 9 cat at all times for... 15(?) years, and then things slowed down.  We had dogs too.  But, both the dogs and cats were always outside animals.  The cats would keep the pest population down--snakes, voles, mice, etc.

But, you seem to have an affinity for cats, Ab, and are very knowledgeable, so it's nice to hear your perspective.

Edited by Malonn
spelling mistake

Well I’ve actually got a very unhappy household right now and I’m at a loss on how to fix it. I did everything right in getting Ada, who was going to be my breeding female when she got old enough. We were undergoing house renovations that were only supposed to last a year. They went on for over two years. Anyway, I knew I had to get a male cat before Ada got too old or she wouldn’t accept him, so even though the renos were still going on, I got a male kitten, that I named Pascal. I was right. After some initial hissing, Ada accepted him and they get along great. Because of the renovations, it was hard to keep them apart. I managed until Ada was old enough to breed and even though I wasn’t ready, Ada and Pascal had other ideas. I was only able to sell one kitten, but everybody was happy. The two remaining kittens from Ada and Pascal’s first litter are named Kyan and Kyra.

When I was trying to sell the kittens, I put an ad on an online classified ads site. That’s when I saw the ad for two cats that had been imported from Russia. The breeder said they had to sell the cats. Long story short, the breeder bred dogs and realized she couldn’t handle cats as well, so she decided to sell them to another breeder. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I knew I was crazy for bringing in another intact male, but the male cat was amazing and I wanted a blue pair in addition to my silvers. The male cat is lilac, which is even better. We need new stock in Canada, so an imported pair was needed. I was hoping I could make it work. It isn’t. If things weren’t bad enough, the cats were also mistreated. They are not socialized. They don’t even know how to play.

I named the male cat Darwin and the female is named Curie. Darwin attacks all the other cats. He used to get along well with Curie, but she’s adjusting to life with other cats and no longer accepts Darwin’s advances when she’s not in heat. She’s not supposed to, so she’s behaving fine in that regard. Unfortunately when any cat hisses at Darwin, he loses it and chases them. If he catches them, which he always does, he attacks. So Darwin spends most of his time in a cage. Curie is grumpy though. She hisses at the kittens, which really isn’t so unusual, but that makes Ada mad, so Ada attacks her. I’m hoping that Ada will relax once I sell the kittens. Btw, Ada and Pascal had another unplanned rendevous, as I’ve mentioned in the Kitty thread.

Anyway that’s the story of my unhappy household. I don’t think Darwin and Pascal will ever get along and quite frankly, I don’t have enough females to keep them both happy. I will offer them for stud service if I can. I would just like Darwin to stop attacking the others and the others to get along among themselves. I might try Jackson Galaxy’s Essences to see if they help. He has an essence that’s supposed to ease the agression of bully cats.

Posted (edited)

Troubles with mistreated cats, it sounds like.  My bro (well his wife actually--my bro could care less) has taken in a rescue kitten (they have two other adult cats--don't know if they are male or female), and the kitten doesn't get along with one of them at all.  I'm wondering if she was mistreated.  We always took good care and were kind to our cats.  They were outdoor cats though.  But they were kind and gentle; got along with one another.  Animal abuse affects an animal.  Like people.  I hope you can find a way to calm down Darwin.  Hopefully he wasn't physically abused.

Edited by Malonn