• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
'Drea

Kitties!!

I think they had problems with the dogs the woman was breeding and she had to shut them in a room all the time. Darwin is starved for attention. If we let him in our bedroom, he'll hop up on the bed, walk all over us, nuzzle our faces and chew our hair - all the while purring loudly. He's a big suck actually. Curie was scared of us for several months and would run away every time we walked towards her. She's finally starting to settle down and will sometimes come by for a scratch, but she doesn't hang around us like the other cats do. British Shorthairs like to be with their humans and will usually find a spot to sleep wherever you are.

Quite knowledgeable, AB, quite.  Cats can be pet longer than a human can pet.  Like my bro's kids can play with their uncle longer than their uncle can play with them.  The uncle has to do the heavy lifting.  Literally.

On 6/24/2018 at 7:57 PM, Malonn said:

Are the cats nice and gentle?  Rescue cats may have seen some troublesome times in their days.  Plus some animals can plain be assholes...

We do actually have an asshole cat.  Not the way you'd think, though.

He loves all humans forever, especially if they call him pretty.  (He flops on the floor and rolls around and trills) He's a little asshole because he trolls all the other cats and then acts innocent when he gets called out.

Literally even as a kitten, shame was something that happened to other cats.
2008_12_24 003.jpg

Hmm...From what you've said, I think Darwin wants territory.  And that's what your bedroom is when you let him in all by himself.  He wants to be special.

I suggest LOTS of shelves and places for him to sit.  Like a staircase setup?

Also, check out this book: https://www.amazon.com/Cats-House-Bob-Walker/dp/0740778617

Because that's my dream house for all my dramatic troll kitties.

That’s something we’ve been working on. We bought two new cat trees. One is 81” high and the other is 87.5”. We haven’t had a chance to assemble the second one yet.

My latest tactic is to let Darwin out of his cage with a harness and long tie-out leash and we take him around to wherever we’re working. Jimi is off this week as we finally get moved upstairs, so we take him upstairs with us and then down into the office. At first he would still go after the others and we’d have to return him to the cage, but he’s been out with us all day today. The other cats have cautiously come by to take a look but don’t come too close. We’re trying to build on positives and show him how the other cats behave. Ironically he has no problem with the latest kittens, who are now 13 weeks. He watches them play and I hope he’s learning something from that.

I think we should move these posts to our kitties thread. :)

Anyway, yes cats can be trained. I’m actually surprised how easy they are to train. For example, I’ve always managed to train mine so they know a double-clap means come inside when they’re in the yard or when I want to clear them out of a room.

Do you watch America’s Got Talent? On the first episode a woman had several cats that did tricks. She got them to jump through hoops, jump from a high platform into her arms, some really neat stuff. It was impressive. If you want them to do something that complicated, you need treats. Cats respond to food. The cats you see in movies or ads are trained.

Even I was amazed at what that woman got her cats to do on AGT. She made it through to the next round, so we’ll see them again.