• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

[Guide] Nexus of Illusions

Welcome to our role-playing forum, the Nexus of Illusions.

The Nexus of Illusions takes place on an unknown planet. We haven't given it a name and you, as a character in the story, have no way of finding out the name of this world. You have been teleported to this world after you encountered a portal. Being the curious creature you are, you decided to investigate and walk or travel through the portal.

Setting

The portal is an unknown anomaly that can manifest itself in space or on a planet. In space, it can be large enough to accommodate a ship. On a planet, it can be small enough to appear like a doorway. Once you've created a character, it's up to you to describe the setting in which you encounter the portal. Then you pass through it and land on the unknown planet.

The planet can be pretty much anything you want it to be. It could be imaginative or real, it all depends on your character or characters. We're thinking of having a large bonfire where characters can gather around and exchange stories.

The portal is somewhere on the planet and it will return you to where you first encountered it. Our current thoughts are that the location of the portal on the planet is random and part of the adventure is finding it to return home.

Getting Started

All members of The Assimilation Lab are welcome to participate. You start by creating a character in the Character Introductions forum. You'll want to make sure you give them a name, some background information, and say what they look like. We suggest that characters originate from a video game, but they don't have to. You can even include a picture of your character. If it's a character from a video game, you can use a screen shot. Or if you're an artist, you could include a drawing.

Then you post the circumstances in which you encounter the portal in the Portal forum. You might be on a ship that encounters the portal. You could have the entire crew affected by the portal, or just a single member. It's up to you. If you have an entire crew, you'll need to create characters for each member. :) Or you might encounter the portal during your travels on some world.

After you've passed through the portal, you'll arrive on the Mysterious Planet. The Mysterious Planet forum is where all the actual role-play takes place. Each story will have a separate thread. You can join an existing story or create a new one.

Posting Style

We think the single line dialogue style of posting makes for faster and easier role play. With this style, each post is basically a single line of dialogue, with the other character replying. Discussion continues back and forth. The posts can include small scene set-ups and background as required, but the story is told through dialogue exchange among the characters, not in long blocks of text.

Non-participant and Out-of-Character Discussion

Non-participants, or readers of the stories are welcome to post comments or questions in the stories. Please preface your comment with OOC: which stands for Out-of-Character. Similarly if you, as a participant, wish to make a comment or provide an explanation about something, use OOC: to preface your comment so that it's clear your comment is not part of the story.

Nexus of Illusions Forum

The main forum is the general discussion forum for all things related to the role-play forum.

Of course, all of this can change over time as the stories evolve and new characters are introduced and more forums can be created as needed as well as new planets and locations.