Tech Advice and Stuffz

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
I need some advice here so I figured I'd throw this thread up to help hold future questions and stuff. :)Anyways, I need to get myself a cable modem and I have no idea what to look for. No wireless features are needed, I'll be plugging in a coax cable from the wall into the modem and then an Ethernet cable into the modem and, from there, to my computer.

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

#ffc0db Wildebeest under #0000ff Flying Shoes

• Unofficial Morrowind Patch
    • Dark Brotherhood Chronicles
    • Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts
I would just do some searches and have a look at various reviews. Top 5 or 10 lists can be helpful.You might also want to look at getting a router so that you can hook up more than one machine to the modem.I don't worry about modems too much. I just buy whatever my ISP has to offer. My ISP is a small independent company so they offer good stuff. Our modem is a TP-Link. Our previous one was a Multi-tech. No issues with either one.
Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
Looking over their products, it doesn't appear that any of them have a way to connect from a coaxial cable to the modem or am I missing something?I have three routers already, actually. I just want to have a wired connection for the computer.I'd use powerline adapters but all of my outlets are currently in use or not in an easy to reach place.And, yeah, I'll probably do some searching around and such. I just like to get others' thoughts on this kind of thing when I haven't a clue on it.

Vorians

Vorians

Fluffy Hypercubical Monitor Lizard

• Better Cities
    • Valenwood Islands
    • Black Marsh
  • 1,762 posts

Why are you using coax cable? I haven't used that for networking for 13 years, surely the connection from the wall should by RJ45?

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
The cable company here uses the lines to provide both TV and Internet service. :shrug:

Leonardo

Leonardo

Reborn Old Timer

• Valenwood Islands Beta Tester
  • 3,760 posts

Why are you using coax cable? I haven't used that for networking for 13 years, surely the connection from the wall should by RJ45?

The cable company here uses the lines to provide both TV and Internet service. :shrug:

Actually you can use both connections and I've used the coax cable for the last 10 years, but now I use a network cable and I had no choice than to use a network cable for my broadband modem or a gateway as my ISP provider equip their customer.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
The Internet signal comes out of the wall via a coax jack. That is what I mean.

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

Yikes. You would need to find a modem that accepts coax then. Or contact your cable company and see if they can upgrade the jack.

I do remember seeing some modems that have coax. Just did a search - yeah, a lot of them still offer a coax connector. They'll often call it an F connector, or RF connector.

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
Alright, thanks.For the RF, I would have never figured that out. I've always associated RF with "radio frequency"...

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

The cable (as in physical wire) is called RF cable as well. Here's a wiki article with the details.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
Thanks, that helps lessen the confusion.

Leonardo

Leonardo

Reborn Old Timer

• 3,760 posts

You know I actually have my old broadband modem laying around in my apartment and collecting a lot of dust.  Anyway...  It's a Motorola broadband and there is connections for both cable types (coax, RJ45) plus an USB port.

So if you find a Motorola SB4200E SURFBroard Cable Modem then you may have all three connection types (coax, RJ45, USB), but hardware specifics can be a little different for us in Sweden than it's for the people who live in North America.

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

My second hard drive is failing. It's the same model as the one that failed last year. Fortunately I bought a large Western Digital and I was able to copy all my files off the failing drive.

When you're looking for a new hard drive, definitely have a look at the reviews and see which brand is the most reliable at the moment. It varies. Currently Western Digital is leading the pack. They also offer a five year warranty, which is something you want to look for.

Even the solid state drives can fail, so do a bit of research and don't skimp. The cheapest drives are probably going to cost you in the end. :)

Leonardo

Leonardo

Reborn Old Timer

• 3,760 posts

I've used Western Digital in the past, but when a WD HDD crashed at the same time was playing Nascar Racing 2003 I decided not use WD HDD anymore.  Since then I've been using Seagate (Barrcuda) HDD and I'm satisfied.

Besides I'm favor HDD that's so silent that I need to put my hand to chassi to convenince myself the HDD is working by its vibrations.

Edited by Leonardo, 04 September 2013 - 06:05 PM.

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

As I said, it varies. I've had two Seagates die on me now. The cheaper A series only lasted a couple of years. I replaced it with an N series that has a 5 year warranty. Both of my N series drives failed just after the warranty expired. Now to be fair, only the A series had a catastrophic failure in which I had to pay to get the data recovered. It was a spindle failure. The other two drives had issues with bad sectors. Once I got the data off them and reformatted them, they were fine.

There will be years in which Seagates are more reliable. Then it seems to switch for a while. Right now WD seems to be more reliable.

My WD is also 10,000 rpm, so it's pretty quick. :) It doesn't seem to be any louder than the Seagates.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
With the Western Digital drives, what's the difference between the colors? I know that "Green" is the 5400 RPM and low-end version but I don't know the differences between the other colors.

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts
I wasn't aware they came in different colours. Some companies are offering energy efficient components. Do you think that's what they mean by the "green" drive?I did some searches for the most reliable drive and WD seemed to come out on top this time around. Then I just look at the specs and the warranty. I decided on a 10,000 rpm drive for better performance for my games. I plan to buy an SSD for the OS when I build a new machine.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
Yeah, "Green" usually refers to lower powered and lower performance drives. From the looking I did, Western Digital drives come in "Blue", "Red", "Green", and "Black" varieties and I'm not sure what the differences are outside of "Green".I don't need something as fast as 10000 RPM, 7200 RPM suits my needs just fine. I'm not picky when it comes to that sort of thing. Plus, it really drives the cost up and with the way I hoard data, I figure having a lot of space wouldn't hurt. :P

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts
I'd go to WD's website and look it up. They probably provide the explanation on their site.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
Here's our answer: www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/Looking that over, it looks like I'll want to go with the "Black" drives. Now I just need to decide on how much space I want...Thanks for the help and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users