• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Visceral Moonlight

Tech Advice and Stuffz

I got a small graphics card upgrade for my (belated) birthday.  :D  Went up to a GTS 250 - yes, I know it's older (hand-me-down from my bro-in-law), but I have a 10 fps boost in my games, and I don't have to buy a new power supply.

Okay...got a new graphics card, a new harddrive (waiting on the cable, dammit), next on the list is a RAM upgrade. 

And nothing's exploded yet!

Nice! With DS help, I've scouted out all the components for my new PC. I've discovered that the newer CPU's and graphics cards actually have lower power requirements, which is nice. These are really the newest though - like only in the last year or so.

The GTS 250 was a nice card. Sounds like a good upgrade. :DWhen you're ready for RAM, make sure you're using a 64-bit OS. If you're not, anything over 2.75 GB in Windows will be wasted.

I got a small graphics card upgrade for my (belated) birthday.  :D  Went up to a GTS 250 - yes, I know it's older (hand-me-down from my bro-in-law), but I have a 10 fps boost in my games, and I don't have to buy a new power supply. Okay...got a new graphics card, a new harddrive (waiting on the cable, dammit), next on the list is a RAM upgrade. And nothing's exploded yet!

Nice! With DS help, I've scouted out all the components for my new PC. I've discovered that the newer CPU's and graphics cards actually have lower power requirements, which is nice. These are really the newest though - like only in the last year or so.

Glad to help. :)

Nice! That's a gaming headset. You might find it handy for processing the voice acting files too.

And yeah, I'm sure we'll link up on Skype soon. :D

Edited by AndalayBay

Okay, before I plug in my new SATA hard drive on Win 7, is there anything I ought to know?  I've only added in IDE HDs before (so I know about going into the bios and designating a slave HD), and I'm not planning to clone it over.  Is there anything extra?

For the BIOS setting and plugging the cables in, that will depend on your motherboard. Do you know which motherboard you have and/or which BIOS the computer uses?For formatting the drive, that's easy: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/formatting-disks-and-drives-frequently-asked-questions and http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-format-hard-disk-partition#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7

If the motherboard has SATA ports, then you do NOT need to touch the BIOS at all, SATA hard drives can just be wired in, and that's it. You don't even need to turn the computer off before connecting them, but do anyway. Once it is wired and Windows is running, right-click on Computer from the start menu or from the Desktop, then choose Manage. In Computer Management, click on Disk Management from the left list of options, then right click on whichever drive shows on the right without any partition (so no drive letters). The drive needs to be initialised, and then simply format as NTFS if it's less than 2tb. If I remember correctly, drives more than 2tb are better formatted using the new file-format.

It's only 2 TB because I know it gets iffy after that, and after three years of under 1 TB, I deserve an upgrade.

The next couple days will be adding in the new HD and then moving over/installing all the games I love.  Steam first and then all the others sitting in my drawer.  And then I might kinda vanish because I have everything I've been wanting to play for five years and didn't have the room for.

SQUEEEE~!

It's only 2 TB because I know it gets iffy after that, and after three years of under 1 TB, I deserve an upgrade.

The next couple days will be adding in the new HD and then moving over/installing all the games I love.  Steam first and then all the others sitting in my drawer.  And then I might kinda vanish because I have everything I've been wanting to play for five years and didn't have the room for.

SQUEEEE~!

I use Partition Wizard when I need to configure my HDD.  It's easy to use and remember you can undo your command, but first you need to confirm any pending operations.  It's the best freeware HDD tool I've use for years.

I haven't visit the site for a while now and usually when Partition Wizard needs to be updated, so I don't know for sure if there is any tutorials to read.

Edited by Leonardo

That 94C temp makes me VERY nervous, I don't care what AMD or the reviewers say. That's just too damn hot for my comfort zone.

I would be VERY concerned too if I had that kind of temperature in my computer.

Do you smell something like it's on fire?  Have you check the chassi fans?  Have the AC power supply too much dust?  Perhaps check the fan for the video card too just as a precaution.

I would be VERY concerned too if I had that kind of temperature in my computer.

Do you smell something like it's on fire?  Have you check the chassi fans?  Have the AC power supply too much dust?  Perhaps check the fan for the video card too just as a precaution.

As DS said Leo, Arthmoor is referring to the review that DS posted a link to. 94C is pretty warm, even for a video card.

Modern cards are quite beastly - mine pulls about 200 Watts under load - I expect it gets quite warm.

On the other hand, I can do laps around the Waterfront in Oblivion, with Better Cities AND texture packs, AND OBGE, and get around average 25fps, topping out at 32.

POWER