• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Visceral Moonlight

Tech Advice and Stuffz

I actually use an old, clean woolly sock, folded, for where the wrist contacts the pad. It isn't elegant- but the same mousepad for many years! Works well enough,- as long as the sock is laundered occasionally. :P

Dawn is used to clean off animals that have gotten caught up in oil spills, so it’s very effective and safe. Some cleaners can leave a residue, but Dawn rinses pretty clean. I just put the mat in a sink with soapy water and scrub it with a rag. Then rinse it, as I said.

When my twins were coming I did a lot of reading, and there were several sites & books that warned not to use dish detergent to wash out baby bottles & such due to them leaving a residue that the baby could potentially have a problem with. So that's where that came from. They didn't mention Dawn specifically that I can recall. I've never noticed a residue problem with Dawn myself either, and have been using that brand since at least the mid-80s. I even use a mixture of Dawn, ammonia, and hot water to clean the inside of my car windows, which would very visibly show any residue. So that & given AB's experience, I'm sure your fine. :)

2 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

What is it?

At first blush the name appears fairly descriptive of what we might expect it to do:

Computer:

Spoiler

From Webopedia:

A computer is a programmable machine. The two principal characteristics of a computer are: It responds to a specific set of instructions in a well-defined manner and it can execute a prerecorded list of instructions (a program).

Repair:

Spoiler

From Wiktionary:

The act of repairing something: Verb: To restore to good working order, fix, or improve damaged condition; to mend; to remedy.

Simulator:

Spoiler

From Wiktionary:

A machine or system that simulates an environment (such as an aircraft cockpit), often for training purposes.

Other than that, short on the detail. It looks interesting- but haven't tried. But may someone else has/will. Are you brave enough?

Let's talk joysticks again!

So I'm seeing a lot of dual sticks but I'm more interested in single sticks (space constraints) but all the single sticks I'm seeing these days place the throttle behind the stick instead of to the side. Are there any good ones that place it to the side like they used to? The vertical alignment I'm guessing would be hard for me to manipulate.

I just bought a new keyboard and mouse. Both died recently. They were both so bad I had to go back to an old IBM keyboard and a very basic mouse.

I bought a Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 keyboard and a Cosair Harpoon RGB mouse. The Blackwidow is a mechanical gaming keyboard. Mechanical keyboards now come in a big range of key switches depending on whether you want a keyboard for typing, or for gaming or a mix. I opted for the Razer Green Switches, which are described as tactile and clicky. I do type a lot, so I wanted the feedback, but the Greens aren’t too hard to activate. The Blackwidow also has backlit keys which can be customized right down to specifying the colour for individual keys. I’ll set it up so that the keys are highlighted according to the game I’m playing. The keyboard weighs a ton - thankfully I’m not lugging it around.

The Corsair Harpoon was recommended for small hands and indeed it fits nicely in mine. It’s also light. It has the usual DPI settings that I don’t use too much. I think they are more useful if you play FPS.