• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Visceral Moonlight

Tech Advice and Stuffz

I don't understand how you have been able to run a BIOS update if the PC isn't turning on. That's a definite paradox.

Yeah, that threw me for a loop as well. Apparently ASUS is the only vendor that offers that feature.

I have an Asus motherboard which requires three PSU connections. The standard 24-pin, the standard 4 pin, AND a 4-pin molex, usually used to connect an IDE hard drive or optical drive. Could this motherboard also require an unusual additional power connection which has been overlooked?

Presumably after the motherboard broke earlier, it was replaced with a not-broken motherboard?

Presumably after the motherboard broke earlier, it was replaced with a not-broken motherboard?

Yes, this is a brand new motherboard that is not broken.

:rofl:

You can't say Vorians isn't thorough.

It really sounds like the motherboard isn't recognizing the CPU. Asus has a bios update for that, which doesn't seem to be working. Either Asus has messed up the bios update, or DS got a bad CPU. There are reports of a bad batch, so perhaps it's time for DS to try a warranty exchange and see if a new CPU fixes the problem, which I think was his plan.

Either Asus has messed up the bios update

Now that you mention it, I just realized that there was a recent BIOS update (looks like it's dated 2 days ago, so the day I installed it...) after the initial one. I just tried the initial one that brought support without any luck.So, yeah, it's one of three things: a bad CPU, PSU, or motherboard. My money is on the CPU.I guess I'll see about contacting Intel tomorrow and see about getting this sorted out. Hopefully, that winds up being the issue.

Did you try the very latest bios update?

Also, is there any way to test the power supply?

Yep, the latest one is what I tried first. I've tried both BIOS images that have IVB-E support.As for the PSU, this is weird: if I plug the cable into the surge protect (as I have been) I get the lights on the MB to come on. If I plug it into the wall, absolutely nothing. Does that mean anything?

It might... It sounds like the problem might be the power supply. I've heard of lots of trouble with load adjusting power supplies. A guy I was working with had to return his PSU. He wound up with two and I bought one of them. Then I had to throw the thing out when the stupid fan died. The moral of the story: stay away from PSU's that adjust their output based on load. :P

When you plug the surge protector into the wall, does it report anything wrong with the line? There's usually a line fault indicator.

Nope, it says connected.I did try the self test switch on the power supply and the same clicking thing occurred. I think it may be that it's unable to fire for whatever reason. It's really starting to sound like the PSU. When I press the computer's power switch, remember that the PSU tries to fire but fails to do so. A click is all I hear when I try it.Not sure why there's a difference between the wall outlet and the surge protector, though. Could it be bad wiring or something?

It probably has a bunch of detection circuitry and when it's plugged into surge protector, it detects it.

I would see about getting that power supply replaced first. That doesn't sound right at all.

I-I think that card may be bigger than my case.

It would make my power supply explode.

WANT.

Yeah ouch.  When the prize has drop so much that we can afford to buy it then it's probably already outdated.