• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Visceral Moonlight

Tech Advice and Stuffz

Is there anything special I need to do to remove the heatsink from the CPU or can I just undo the screws and pull it off? Basically, I'm asking if I can just repeat the installation instructions in reverse or if I need to do something more.I need to pull a number off the CPU in order to go through the warranty replacement process.

Is there anything special I need to do to remove the heatsink from the CPU or can I just undo the screws and pull it off? Basically, I'm asking if I can just repeat the installation instructions in reverse or if I need to do something more.I need to pull a number off the CPU in order to go through the warranty replacement process.

Undo the screws and pull it off. I don't think there are any retaining clips. When you remove it, try to rotate it back and forth a bit to break the seal made by the thermal paste. It might be kind of hard to get off, but be careful - don't pull too hard. :)

You should use lint-free cloths. I have lens papers that I use. They are for cleaning camera lenses.

Repackage the CPU in the original box. Please tell me you kept the box. The anti-static plastic box is the most important.

When you do your own builds, never throw out the packaging.

Lint-free cloths...? What are those? A paper towel is out, then?

Yes. You can get lint-free paper towel, but I have no idea where you'd buy it. My dad gave me some once that he got from the GM Plant. :PHere you go: http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-Lens-Cleaning-Tissue-Sheets/dp/B0000AQJ5Z 

Please tell me you kept the box.

I save everything including the packing peanuts. :PAlright, thanks. :)

Good you're all set then. If you're mailing it back, then you'll probably have to put the CPU box inside another box for shipping. The CPU boxes are usually too thin for shipping. I'm talking about the box-board that's put around the anti-static sleeve - that's too thin for shipping. Put the CPU in its box and put all that in a shipping box with padding.

Chili? :blink:

Do we even want to know how that happened?

Anyway, paper towels and a light mixture of either windex or water+alcohol should do the trick. Just don't get it TOO moist or bad things could happen.

I was eating dinner and the potato fell off the fork and splashed into the chili juice, splashing it all over the computer. Stupid potato. It will pay for this. It must PAY! -.-Thanks. My computer screen has been needing to be cleaned for a few years now, anyways. It's got dust all over it. :P

I was eating dinner and the potato fell off the fork and splashed into the chili juice, splashing it all over the computer. Stupid potato. It will pay for this. It must PAY! -.-

Why that happen is easy to understand, because you didn't PAY *enough* attention about what behavior a potato might have. :P