Tech Advice and Stuffz

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
I'm trying to finish getting everything I need to finish the setups I have and I need a drill. What should I look for in a wireless drill intended for use with electronic and computer projects? I assume an adjustable speed setting or at least a speed that's not too high, right?

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

#ffc0db Wildebeest under #0000ff Flying Shoes

• Unofficial Morrowind Patch
    • Dark Brotherhood Chronicles
    • Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

I would never use a drill on computers and electronics. The screws are tiny.

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
Thanks, I won't use it for the computer then. I still need a drill, though! I guess I just need a good wireless drill since I won't be using it for computers and stuff, thanks. :)

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

Then it just comes down to how much you want to spend. Get a minimum of 12V. 18V drills have more power. Makita, Dewalt and Ridgid are all very good brands. Milwaukee is also very good, but they are usually on the professional side. Mikita and Dewalt have professional lines too, especially if you start looking at their 18V lines.

I know a lot about power tools. :D

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
What's the difference in battery life like?

Thanks!

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts
It's a wash. 12V don't have as much power, so they last just as long as 18V. That's one thing that will improve as you spend more money. You can compare the battery ratings.

I have a 12V Ridgid and I'm very happy with it. One thing I am salivating over are the professional Makitas that the contractors use. They are really light. My Ridgid is pretty heavy. The Makita also has a light built in near the chuck so it illuminates the area you're working on. I'll upgrade to a Makita when I get the money.

If you think you'll be getting more tools, you should also keep in mind that pretty much all brands offer a complete line, so you can share the battery packs among all your tools. The contractors I mentioned all use Makita. They have a few tools in the line and swap batteries.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
A wash? I don't understand.

I'll be getting more tools but I don't think I'll need more power tools. I don't exactly trust myself with a portable saw. :P

Thanks! :)

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

I was wondering if you'd know that term. :lol: "A wash" means that something isn't one way or another. In this case, there isn't a big difference in battery life, as far as I know.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
Ah, okay. Thanks! Time to go drill shopping!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users