Sign in to follow this  
Visceral Moonlight

Build Help

Yep, that's about right. Once you feel resistance, I would tighten them slightly more, but not much. You want them firmly tight, but you don't want to over-tighten them. I believe the usual guideline is to tighten them a quarter turn once you feel resistance.

You installed the offsets, right? You don't want the mobo right against the case or the mounts.

I'll just leave them as they are, then. I don't want to risk anything and I have a bit of a heavy hand.They came preinstalled in the case.Now if the instructions for the heatsink made a little bit more sense. They just gave me a crummy diagram and there are many different screws and fittings... >.<

Do you have thermal paste? I use thermal paste and not the stuff they give you with the CPU. It's not very good and will wear off in a couple of years. If you want some recommendations for thermal paste, do a search and have a look at the links for Tom's Hardware. They are my favourite for advice on stuff like that.I would do a search for instructions on installing the CPU and heatsink. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some videos. If you can't find any, post some pictures and I'll see if I can help you.

Some sort of thermal compound came with the cooler, have no clue what it is though. I can replace it later on, can't I?As for the instructions, here you go: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/download.php?action=ViewDownload&id=330I can't really make much sense of them myself. Not sure how much help a video would be, to be honest. I can't really pay attention to instructional videos very well.

Ok, if you're going with CM, that's better than the stuff that comes with the CPU, so you can go with that.

Which CPU did you go with?

That's AMD? Also which socket is it?

Also, can you get the the back of your motherboard? If not, you'll have to remove the mobo from the case before you install the heat sink.

This video isn't too bad:

http://youtu.be/H_QVWBm4CI4

I would skip ahead to where he actually installs it and have a look at the part where he adjusts the screws on the retention bracket to match the LGA2011 socket. I also recommend watching the whole video first and then watching it a second time when you install the heat sink.

With some CPU's you need to install the back plate. For the 2011, you don't. So your installation is a little easier and you don't need to worry about accessing the back of the motherboard. You won't need the back plate.

One thing that video doesn't seem to cover too well is that you need to move the screws to the correct notch for your socket. I've attached a screen shot of the part of the installation guide that shows the correct position of the screw. If you look closely at the video, you'll see he has moved the screw to the correct notch.

CM.jpg

Edit: here's another article that might help.

Thanks but I just got it on my own. :DI think that should be the last of the frustrating parts. Now what order should I do the rest in? Wires and then parts or what?Edit:PSU now mounted. This is the most frustrating build I've ever done but it doesn't look like I've damaged anything. And thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Edited by deaths_soul

I've always followed the installation instructions supplied by the case and the motherboard. The case covers all the physical components and the motherboard covers all the mobo connections and components. Iirc, you usually install all the major components next, like hard drives and stuff. I usually connect up the front panel before connecting all the cables so that it's easier to access all the small wires.

You've probably already finished by now but...

Typically PSU should be first as anything else will likely get in its way (depends on case though). Then attach the CPU and heatsink to the motherboard, then fit the motherboard into the case. Hard drives and optical drives either before or after the motherboard as otherwise everything else may get in the way (again depends on the case). Wiring the case wires into the motherboard can be tricky sometimes, so good idea to do that before anything else goes in - power, reset, HD light etc. Then check that the PSU cables for the motherboard will reach their sockets easily (but don't necessarily connect them yet) as you may have to ensure that some wires go under PCI/PCI-E cards to reach if they're not very long. Now GPU & other PCI(-E) cards go in, then connect all the wiring for power and data transfer.

Don't forget to connect the wires for the heatsink & case fans!

You've probably already finished by now but...

Nope, I quit for the night so I could get some sleep.

I've always followed the installation instructions supplied by the case and the motherboard. The case covers all the physical components and the motherboard covers all the mobo connections and components. Iirc, you usually install all the major components next, like hard drives and stuff. I usually connect up the front panel before connecting all the cables so that it's easier to access all the small wires.

The case just came with a diagram showing off its features, no manual or anything. It took me a good ten minutes to figure out how to open the thing. :PI'll go with the motherboard manual, I guess.

Typically PSU should be first as anything else will likely get in its way (depends on case though). Then attach the CPU and heatsink to the motherboard, then fit the motherboard into the case. Hard drives and optical drives either before or after the motherboard as otherwise everything else may get in the way (again depends on the case). Wiring the case wires into the motherboard can be tricky sometimes, so good idea to do that before anything else goes in - power, reset, HD light etc. Then check that the PSU cables for the motherboard will reach their sockets easily (but don't necessarily connect them yet) as you may have to ensure that some wires go under PCI/PCI-E cards to reach if they're not very long. Now GPU & other PCI(-E) cards go in, then connect all the wiring for power and data transfer. Don't forget to connect the wires for the heatsink & case fans!

Oh, this case has plenty of room. Clearance isn't an issue with this thing. The PSU is far away from the motherboard, actually.As for the case fan cables, I need to find them first. Maybe after I remove the HDD cages I won't be using in the near future they'll turn up...

Typically PSU should be first as anything else will likely get in its way (depends on case though). Then attach the CPU and heatsink to the motherboard, then fit the motherboard into the case. Hard drives and optical drives either before or after the motherboard as otherwise everything else may get in the way (again depends on the case). Wiring the case wires into the motherboard can be tricky sometimes, so good idea to do that before anything else goes in - power, reset, HD light etc. Then check that the PSU cables for the motherboard will reach their sockets easily (but don't necessarily connect them yet) as you may have to ensure that some wires go under PCI/PCI-E cards to reach if they're not very long. Now GPU & other PCI(-E) cards go in, then connect all the wiring for power and data transfer. Don't forget to connect the wires for the heatsink & case fans!

Oh, this case has plenty of room. Clearance isn't an issue with this thing. The PSU is far away from the motherboard, actually.

Here's the potential problem. If the PSU is far away from the motherboard, then you may find it a stretch connecting the two together. I had a real struggle with the PC I put back together a few days ago. The case has this clever new concept of placing the PSU at the bottom of the case instead of the top, and having the wires all funnelled through a small gap in the metal plate between the PSU section of the case and the rest of the case. The 4 pin wire which plugs into the top of the motherboard by the PSU was a real stretch, and only just reaches over the GPU and sound card and around the CPU heatsink. I had tried running it under the GPU but the layout of the motherboard made this undoable, it didn't reach due to all the bits it had to skirt around.

So do check that the PSU leads will reach before connecting the PCI(-E) cards, in case you need it to run under the GPU.

I may need to pick up some extension cables, then. I'll worry about that when I get there.In removing the cages, the screws were in so tight that the heads got rounded. Now I need to figure out how to get them out. /sigh

Okay, I have another issue. I need to get a screw in that hole for the video card. Unfortunately, there's a lip of the case that blocks my ability to get the screw in the hole. I've been dropping screws for the last 2 hours now.IMG_20131001_1114221.jpgAny ideas?Edit:After some searching, people seem to be having luck with a bendable screwdriver. Guess I better pick one up later.

Edited by deaths_soul

Yeah, those are tricky. I usually push the card bracket in a bit further so that it uncovers the screw hole a bit more and then put the screw in and tighten it a bit with my fingers first. Then you can release the card and continue tightening with a screwdriver.

Yep, I've been trying that. It looks to be a combination of my large hands and the large size of the card.Any other tools that may be a good idea to pick up as well? I figure that I may as well get them now to save my hands from telling me that they'll find a new body later. :P

I start with a screwdriver which is magnetised, so it can hold the screw until it's in enough to stay there, then I switch to my other screwdriver which is bigger and does a better job (but can't hold its screws). Some cases really are weird, it's like they don't understand that the holes they provided are there for a particular reason.

Shit. Did you check to see if Asus has any more bios updates?

Also, did you try it with only one video card installed? I'd start with just one and then mess about with the second one later.

The battery is fine. I confirmed that months ago. I don't have a bloody idea why it's not getting power even after I replaced just about everything. Bad wiring is certainly a possibility but it should be getting something at least.Damn it, there's got to be an answer somewhere. Either that or I'm just cursed for all eternity. No matter how elusive it may be, there's just got to be an answer. Logic dictates that there's got to be something at fault. And, no, I don't consider ghosts or aliens to be adequate here. Though, I suppose it would give the Ghostbusters some more business...