Sign in to follow this  
Visceral Moonlight

Recipes

I feel like sharing my recipe for stew.Now, I use venison since I've got a freezer full of it but just about any meat will work. None of my measurements are hard numbers, they're all guesswork. :PYou grab your meat, toss it into a pot. Take your broth (I use beef) and fill up the pot just enough so that the meat is covered. Take some flour (about two palmfuls (that is, enough to fill the opening when you cup your hand)) and toss it into the post. Then you get a large onion and cut it up. Not into tiny pieces but the pieces are about an inch across. Toss them into the pot.The seasonings are all based on taste so the amount can vary but the types of seasonings I use have gotten good results consistently.Grab some steak sauce and pour into the pot. Same with Worcestershire sauce.Add some parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, lemon pepper, Everglades seasoning, and basil to the mixture (around a teaspoon of each).I use two whole cloves and two bay leaves as well.Then you let it cook all day long. I personally use a crock pot for the task.About 2 - 3 hours before I take it off, I toss in some corn (if I've got any), some peas, and carrots. Along with some gnocchi. Sometimes, I'll use standard potatoes. If I do, I toss them in in the morning with the rest of the mixture.Just thought I'd share that. :)

This week is the leadup to the biggest fundraiser that my church does - selling hundreds of pounds of homemade Christmas cookies/candies!  :D  Each volunteer that signs up is expected to make 10 dozen cookies as a minimum.

So if anyone has a favorite cookie, post the recipe here.  I need plenty to choose from.  :D

(I'm already have cake pops, hand-made candies, and rice crispy treat trees on the to-do list.  And I won't want to see a single granule of sugar for WEEKS after this.)

In this time of year we have a cookie called Pepparkaka (Ginger nut in English) and it's tradition to eat them especially in December before Christmas, because any kids will always hear that if you eat a Ginger nut then you must be nice to your brothers, sisters and your parents sort of a bribe.

Anyway, I found the recipe on WikiPedia, but unfortunately the recipe is only in Swedish so if you want bake them yourself then you need to use Google translation. :)

Here's one I just came up with and the results are delicious:Take a chicken and place it in a roasting pan. Squeeze a Myer lemon and pour the juice over the chicken. Takes some seasoning called lemon garlic garni and sprinkle it over the chicken. Chop up an onion and sprinkle it over the chicken.Then you cook it for three hours at 300F with the convection part of a convection oven turned without the cover on the pan.

Yum....food.....  Here's a couple of vegetarian family favourites.  You don't need to use a microwave, but it does make life easier.  Otherwise you can cook the basic veg mix of both recipes in a pan starting with a little oil to soften the onions and celery.  However, cooking the lentils to the correct consistency over the stove is hard.

LENTIL GRATIN300 grams split red lentils1 large onion finely chopped2 sticks celery finely chopped2 medium carrots cut in to small chunks125 grams grated cheese2 medium eggs1 x Bay leafAs much crushed garlic as you likeFresh parsley (can use dried)SaltPumpkin seedsOven Gas Mark 46 portions1. Place the finely chopped onions in a large bowl suitable to place in the microwave. Sprinkle with water and cook on High for 2 mins.2. Stir in the celery and cook on high for 1 min.3. Add the Bay leaf, pour in the lentils, almost cover with water - too little is better than too much - and cook in the microwave for 25 mins on medium. Remove and stir well. The mixture should be very dry - don't worry if some of the lentils remain uncooked.4. Add the carrots and garlic, stir well. Put back in the microwave and cook for a further 15-25 mins until the carrots are soft and the mixtue has absorbed all the moisture in the bowl. Place the bowl over the cooker hob so air can circulate around the dish as it cool - do not put the lid on, leave open.5. Once the mixture has completely cooled, remove the Bay leaf and break it up with a fork. Add the cheese and parsley, mix well. The mixture should look like a crumble topping.6. Beat the eggs and add to the mixture, mix well. Season to taste.7. Grease a shallow dish i.e lasagna dish and press the mixture in. Level the top - I use a fork - then sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.8. Place the lentil gratin in the microwave and cook on medium for 25mins. During this time, heat the oven to Gas Mark 4. Remove the gratin from the microwave, place in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake until golden brown and firm to touch in the middle. Leave to stand for 10 mins and serve.NUT AND SEED BAKE150grams salted peanuts finely ground150grams cashew or mixed nuts finely ground125grams sunflower seeds finely ground1 large onion finely chopped2 sticks celery finely chopped4 mushroom finely chopped1/2 courgette finely chopped1 - 2 slices of bread ground into breadcrumbs1 teaspoon mixed herbsSalt and pepper to taste2 medium eggs beatenPumpkin seedsOven Gas Mark 56 portions1. Place the onion in a microwaveable bowl, sprinkle with water, cover and cook on high for 2 mins.2. Stir in the celery, cover and cook for 2 mins on high.3. Stir in the mushrooms, cover and cook for 1 min. Stir in the courgette and leave to stand while you do 4.4. In a separate, large bowl mix the ground nuts, seeds, one slice of bread crumbs and the mixed herbs.5. Drain any liquid out of the cooked vegetables and add the nut and seed mixture. Season to taste and mix well. The resulting mixture should be slightly moist, but not wet. If it is too moist, add the other slice of breadcrumbs. Leave the mixture uncovered to completely cool. Once cool, this can be stored in the fridge overnight and completed the following day.6. Grease a shallow lasagna style dish. Add the eggs to the cold nut and seed mixture, mix well. Press the mixture into the shallow dish and garnish with pumpkin seed.7. Turn the oven on. Place the completed nut and seed bake into the microwave on medium for 15 mins, then put into the heated oven for a further 20 or so until golden brown and firm to touch in the center. Leave to stand for 10 mins, cut and serve.TOMATO AND BASIL SAUCE1 tablespoon Olive oil or pesto (a 50/50 mix also works well)1 medium onion dicedAs much crushed garlic as you like1 can of plum tomatoes (chopped or whole)Fresh roughly torn or dried BasilSalt and pepper to taste1 Heat the oil, pesto or oil/pesto mix in a deep sided pan.2 Once hot, add the onion, stir well and fry until soft. Add the garlic and fry for another min or so.3 If using whole plum tomatoes, chop roughly with a sharp knife in the tin. Ass to the onion and garlic.4 Bring to the boil then simmer gently until the tomatoes have reduced to half their original volume.5. Add the Basil and season to taste, then serve.Easy peasy and yummy with both the Lentil Gratin and Nut and Seed Bake.

Edited by Sue

Ama's Easy Bread:

bread recipe.pdf

Summary: "dump half the ingredients, wait two minutes, dump other half, stir, cover, let sit, stick in fridge, FRESH UBER CRUNCHY FANCY BREAD WHENEVER YOU HAVE 30 MINUTES TO BAKE."

(Adapted from "5 Minute Artisan Bread" and http://jezebel.com/5881847/how-to-make-easy-fast-foolproof-bread-from-scratch)

Meat Marinade:1/4 Cup of Olive Oil (I resisted the urge to type out Olive Oyl :D)1/4 Cup of Red Wine Vinegar1/4 Cup of Worcestershire Sauce2 Table Spoons of Minced Garlic2 Table Spoons of Montreal Steak SeasoningLet meat sit for 10 minutes and then flip it over. Let sit another 10 minutes and drain.

Yes, Wüsthof, from Germany. We've had a set for a long time and they are very sharp. Very durable blades that are easy to sharpen with the sharpening steel.

Fried Potato SlicesIf you slice the potatoes thinly enough, then you'll have homemade potato chips.IngredientsPotatoesLemon juicePepperGood quality vegetable oil. We use peanut oil.Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly. The only way to get them thin enough is to use a mandolin or food processor. We use the 1.5mm blade in our mandolin.Pour a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. You want to arrange the slices in a single layer. Heat the oil and then add the slices. Fry them for a couple of minutes, flip them over and let fry for another couple of minutes. Drizzle the lemon juice on the slices. Continue frying until they are a nice golden brown colour, flipping to brown both sides. Remove to a paper towel to drain the oil. Cover with another towel. Repeat process until all the potato slices are cooked.Serve hot. Sprinkle with salt and you'll have nice chips.VariationsTry your own choice of spices for more variation. Chili powder, for example, makes a nice spicy chip. Sprinkle powdered spices on the slices before frying.