• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Visceral Moonlight

Recipes

*Cracks knuckles* Okay, let me see if I can remember everything on this recipe.

World Famous Crack Cookies

Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
5 teaspoons vanilla extract

And the frosting:

5 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1-3 tablespoons milk (possibly less)
Food coloring (optional)
Sprinkles (COMPLETELY necessary)

1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
  2. Using an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then blend in the vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add in the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is even and everything is all nicely mixed together.
  3. Cover and chill the dough for one hour.
  4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees before you take the dough out of the oven. Spray a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper, then make 2" balls of dough, flatten slightly, and place on the cookie sheet at least two inches apart.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are BARELY golden, if at all. You don't want these to be crispy-- they are supposed to be soft! Let cool on a wire baking rack.
  6. For the frosting, put the powdered sugar in a bowl and add in the melted butter, vanilla and milk. Whisk until smooth. Honestly, the amounts given can really be eyeballed and not specific. Add food coloring, if you wish.
  7. Spread the frosting on cool cookies and top with sprinkles. (Really. The sprinkles are mandatory!)
  8. Try not to eat all of the cookies in one sitting.
Edited by NobleShadowHunter

Pot roast:

Season as desired, cover tightly (I used foil), cook at 325F for a few hours. Probably is even more tender in a slowcooker. And one can add vegetables (I like to add carrots to mine), too! If you do, it becomes like a stew of sorts, but not too stewy.

Speaking of noodles, I just tried a new homemade noodles recipe.  Extra egg yolks, letting the dough sit overnight, and a tiny bit of baking powder and oil.

The result should be chewy and thick and NUMMY.

Hmmm so not a fan forced oven? Great. (Leave the fans out. They are for cooling! Or at least consider fan assisted.)

Not using any oil? Would it make any difference placing in a covered casserole dish I wonder?

Posted (edited)

Anyone believe in the wondrous benefits of herbal tea? I usually have it in a mix - usually at least 5 parts camellia sinensis, at most two parts Echinacea, at most two parts Rooibos, and one part something else- usually stuff around that comes up as "weeds."

In the last category, common here are St. John's Wort, Tagetes lucida (weedy because I allowed it to spread in the garden), Stellaria media- and most notably nettles. Yea, tons of nettles! Not the widely used European species, but our own Urtica Incisa!

Take a trip down to the gully and grab a handful (gloves on, of course)-

Fresh.jpg.d3eb1cccb3e8e41cc467d1d5aba3ace9.jpg

Super bucket by the way. PVC with a vulcanised rubber component?- had it for years. Can't get them any more, but still looking.

The finished product after 5-6 days drying:

Dried.jpg.31518961096749675f3f1c718e3087e2.jpg

Preference is to harvest my own, rather than go down to the local organics store and pay $100 kg like the rest of us schmucks for the Euro brand. :P

Edited by Schtearn

I've heard of using nettles for a lot of things, but how do you not end up hurting yourself?  Does the drying/cooking process remove the stinging parts?

Wearing shorts in summer over many years and one ends up with sting resistant legs! But garden gloves are fine. He washes them before drying here, I don't usually- but it depends on how you find them- just shaking of dust is enough. He warns they have little hairs that may irritate the urinary tract- (it's amazing how they get through the digestive system) but no problems experienced personally.

He recommends harvesting them in spring- correct- but mine don't really get going until mid-summer- usually the best time here. The harvest in the above picture was taken mid-autumn- as lately not going staggering down there too often these days. :P

Sadly, I don't think nettles grow at my altitude. We do have thistles, though, which are  apparently very edible once you get rid of all the spines.  Like artichokes.

Hmm...there's a project to try.