• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Linode Critical Maintenance   01/10/2018

Linode has announced our service slot for the patch for variants 1 and 2 of the Spectre vulnerability. The server will be rebooted at 2018-05-09 3:00:00 AM UTC.  I have updated the forum thread -  please see my post here.
Visceral Moonlight

Games on Sale

Have you played Kingdom Come: Deliverence, AB?  I think it looks awesome, but I'm not willing to pay $59.00

Are you a professional programmer, VM, or hobbyist?

11 hours ago, Malonn said:

Have you played Kingdom Come: Deliverence, AB?  I think it looks awesome, but I'm not willing to pay $59.00

Are you a professional programmer, VM, or hobbyist?

It's more of a lifestyle. If I find I need a program for something, I often just make it. :)

5 hours ago, Schtearn said:

I bags any more posts on give away games go to this thread. :P

Works for me! :P

I find programming relaxing.  But damned if I'm such a noob that a day flies by and I have but 10 lines of code written.  And that's in a simple language (?) like AutoHotkey.  But those lines work :)

I like writing game scripts, but not programming so much these days. HTML and CSS are ok, but getting the layout just the way you want is still annoying sometimes. :P

12 hours ago, Malonn said:

I find programming relaxing.  But damned if I'm such a noob that a day flies by and I have but 10 lines of code written.  And that's in a simple language (?) like AutoHotkey.  But those lines work :)

I'm unusual in that I've sometimes dream code and have to wake up to write it down on a notepad before I go back to sleep. My brain basically thinks in code. :P

Yeah, I find GUI programming hard.  It's more artistry than coding--lining up boxes and elements just right; making things look pretty.  Maybe I just don't have enough experience.

HTML and CSS, eh, AB?  I'm not familiar with.  Sometimes I hit the F12 key on Firefox and look at the code of a page.  Does that even do a true page source justice?

5 hours ago, Malonn said:

Yeah, I find GUI programming hard.  It's more artistry than coding--lining up boxes and elements just right; making things look pretty.  Maybe I just don't have enough experience.

HTML and CSS, eh, AB?  I'm not familiar with.  Sometimes I hit the F12 key on Firefox and look at the code of a page.  Does that even do a true page source justice?

You’ll get the generated version of a page. On my site, I just used HTML and CSS, so you’ll see the real code. I used a bit of Javascript on the contact page, so you might see some of that. I do the form processing with PHP and you won’t see that. Sites like the forums use a lot of PHP and Javascript, so looking at the source from the browser won’t help.

I’ve been a professional programmer for 30 years now. I like coding up GUI’s, as long as I have a nice development environment. I don’t have the patience to code stuff up from scratch anymore. :P

I didn't know you are a pro, AB.  I assume web development is your area of expertise?

Back on track, VM--Cossacks 3, I don't think I've heard of that.  Will have to load up the old client and check 'er out.

Application development actually. I’m also a DBA. First PowerBuilder, then Java, now I’m going to learn C#. I used to design the database and application to maintain it and then code everything up. I do object oriented programming.

20 hours ago, Malonn said:

I didn't know you are a pro, AB.  I assume web development is your area of expertise?

Back on track, VM--Cossacks 3, I don't think I've heard of that.  Will have to load up the old client and check 'er out.

I've heard of the series (good things) but haven't played it, will need to fix that at some point. And today's Steam deals consist of The Witcher 3 for 50% off and Morrowind for 50% off. Good time to pick up the latter for those of you who don't already have it on GOG or Steam (doesn't apply to many here :P)!

I don't have Morrowind on either, and price is rather steep at 50% off for the game's age. I've still got my DVD version.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, AndalayBay said:

Application development actually. I’m also a DBA. First PowerBuilder, then Java, now I’m going to learn C#. I used to design the database and application to maintain it and then code everything up. I do object oriented programming.

Cool.  Never heard of PowerBuilder.  Java, of course.  Did you find that easy to learn as far as languages go?  I've been interested in learning Python.  Read it's easier to learn than most languages.