Ibsen's Ghost

Progress Thread

I've almost finished writing the outline for the Tribal quests and then it's on to the Sotho Tren quests.  After that, all outlines are complete and the redrafting of the actual quests can begin.

• Like 1

I'm still around to assist with dialogue or whatever else might need doing, as mentioned a few months back, by the by.

• Like 1

Good to hear. Thanks for posting again. As far as I know, Ibsen is still writing up the quests, but there might be some general dialogue to write up.

Yes, I'm still getting on with this.  The basic skeleton of the Tren questline is complete but I need to fill in some of the details so that it smoothes out the creases and makes it easier to write up the quests in full detail.  It's looking good though.  One particular high point is that I can now see how almost every separate questline can dovetail into the MQ.  As mentioned before, the details need smoothing out by rewriting some parts of the outlines.  Once done, the details of the individual quests should make more sense and not need any major editing.  It should be a lot easier to follow.

Progress is still a little slow because work is kicking in again but I'm finding an hour or a half-hour spare here and there and I'm gradually getting there.

Edited by Ibsen's Ghost
  • Like 3

A bit busy again these last few weeks but I keep getting an hour spare here and there to make small adjustments.  I updated the Quest Essentials thread so as to make quest coding a little more organised.  I still have to revise some of the older overviews to make sure everything flows neatly and then it's on to re-drafting the early quest write-ups for greater clarity and also to ensure that the story arc builds comprehensively.

If I ever get distracted these days, it's by a renewed interest in board games rather than PC games...so much fun!  Black Marsh is always on my mind though.

@ AB - Just to be clear, am I correct in thinking that you'll need me to have a good look over MQ1 and adjust it if necessary before you can restart fixing up the quests?  I'm planning on starting with the MQ but then straying out into the questlines as I go so it opens up more choices for coding.  Once I'm free to edit or write up the quests, it may help if I let you know the order I'm going to work through them in.  Then, if you know in your own mind which quests would be easier to fix, I can turn my attention to those and we can prioritise things together.

Edited by AndalayBay
Removed link and added name of thread

@ AB - Just to be clear, am I correct in thinking that you'll need me to have a good look over MQ1 and adjust it if necessary before you can restart fixing up the quests?  I'm planning on starting with the MQ but then straying out into the questlines as I go so it opens up more choices for coding.  Once I'm free to edit or write up the quests, it may help if I let you know the order I'm going to work through them in.  Then, if you know in your own mind which quests would be easier to fix, I can turn my attention to those and we can prioritise things together.

Only if you plan to rewrite or modify MQ1. I still plan to redo that quest as we discussed before (public thread, so no spoilers!). In terms of coding up the other quests, they don't need to be done in any particular order except to at least define the quest so I can have one quest start another. The other quest that you want to start has to be defined for the code to compile.

I'm going to remove that link in your post because that's a private team forum and it will generate errors if non-team members click on it. :)

I'm glad to see you working on these again. I'm going to get my Oblivion game going again and get an update published for All Natural and Oblivion XP, so I'll be getting back to Black Marsh soon.

Still watching this, by-the-by. Also, I don't know if there's a bug thread -- can't find one on the first few pages -- but on multiple playthroughs I've found a "Key to the Rebel Hideout" that traces to this mod. The key's just been in a random chest, and never anywhere near Black Marsh. Is this intentional, or...? I assume it's part of some quest.

When we get coding again, we'll create a project in the bug tracker. That's a bug. I suspect someone wanted to add the key to a chest and they modified a chest from the original game rather than creating a new instance. Unfortunately we've had some bad modders in the past and I didn't catch this error.

Did you get your copy of BM from this site? There is a Black Marsh mod on Nexus which isn't ours. It might be something that was released by a previous team - I really don't know.

Edit: Nope, not ours. We don't have a key with that name and we don't have a location called Rebel Hideout.

Edited by AndalayBay

Huh. No, I could never find a download link to BM on this site, so I just figured the Nexus one was it! Well, that's embarrassing, lol.

We only had BM available as an alpha for a short time.

Our mod will only be available here at TAL until we do a full release.

I'm going to get my Oblivion game going again and get an update published for All Natural and Oblivion XP, so I'll be getting back to Black Marsh soon.

*Happy dance*

Just dropping in.  Not much to report this week as it's been a busy one with buying in new furniture and other domestic affairs.  However, by next week, the week off should give me a little space to get back to it by cleaning up the earlier overviews, tweaking old quests and then eventually crafting the new ones.  I do think that getting the overviews right and adding Glossaries will give others a clearer idea of where we're heading so that, if they wish, they can contribute lore-friendly and mod-friendly writing with greater confidence.

• Like 1

I'm working on creating a Nereid race, a Wamasu using Betty's Iguana as a base, and a Lurcher using the Storm Atronach as a base. I might try making a Naga or Behemoth, maybe. They're all ESO creatures, and found in the Black Marsh region. Does this mod still need creatures?

• Like 1

Yes, there are two creatures that we need, but no one has ever been able to help us. ;) Both have a custom skeleton. If you can create a fully skinned creature with a custom skeleton, please let us know. We have basic versions, but they aren't fully functional.

I'm not well-versed at creating anything from scratch (I don't understand/my computer can't do via Blender UV Maps), but I'm pretty experienced with hand-skinning things, if the model itself already exists. If you have any details you can provide I can see what I can offer.

Unfortunately I don't know the terms to explain what we need. Skinning is attaching the texture to the model, right? We need someone who can create or modify a skeleton and create custom animations to make the creature move. We have the textures already and they would probably need to be remapped to match the skeleton. There's a mod on Nexus that will provide some of the animations and right now, we're looking at using that to see if we can get what we need.

Sorry for being cagey. I really appreciate your offer to help, but unless you've created custom creatures, I don't think you can help. We do have a lot of architectural models that need to be done if you're interested in doing any of that.

The creature end of things is really confusing, but skinning is more-or-less the same thing as rigging/weight-painting. Each vertices on the model has a 1.00 ratio of how much weight the skeleton's bones have on it, so if a vertex has a 1.00 for L ForeArm, it will move 100% according to whatever the skeleton's animations calls for with on the L ForeArm bone. I know how to modify animations made by other modders, but Beth's original set of creature .kfs have these things called BSpline or something that compress the coordinates for multiple bones' movement into a single, giant entry that's pretty much impossible to interpret because they never released their modeling software. Animations made using Blender or MAX have each bone's translation/coordinates on its own entry, so you can, for example, if you need a creature's neck to be longer, open up each .kf, go under the Bip01 Neck/Neck1 entry, and increase the translation for the axis by the same X amount per frame in each animation.

For example, what I'll need to attempt for the ESO Wamasu, since it has 6 legs, is copy the Iguana's folder, then open the skeleton up, decide if I want to copy the motions of the front set of legs or back set of legs, copy the set of legs I choose's nodes, reposition them and attach them to the middle of the spine, figure out the translation difference between the Thigh/UpperArm in the new and old position, open up each KF, copy the Thigh/UpperArm on each side, and modify the translation by the difference I found before...oh god, now I've given myself a headache.

And me too! :D Let me got through my notes and then I'll send you a PM on what we need, then we can go from there.

Not bad. That might be worth adding. I'd have to check, but we might need more high level baddies. As I said, I'll send you a PM. I'm busy with other stuff right now.

Good going, puddles.  It's worth mentioning that the Wamasus is definitely worth making as we have a whole region by that name: the Wamasus Hills, one of the only regions that isn't all that flat and swampy.

I'll work on the Wamasus next.

---

The shoulder spikes need a bit of work to match the ones in ESO and I'm not 100% pleased with the heart-thing yet, but that aside I think it's close enough to the ESO creature.

lurcherpreview2.jpg

• Like 1

Still a definite WIP: I need to add teeth, try to widen its lower jaw a bit more, and see if I can bulk the limbs up any further. Oblivion doesn't like thick-limbed bodies.

Wamasu-kun! Interestingly, Betty's Iguana -- for whatever reason -- used Bip02 nodes and includes riding animations, so in theory some of its dorsal spines could be removed and a saddled added for a mount version, maybe.

---

18950149-1508470309.jpg

• Like 1