Brief History & Introduction
One of our oldest threads from the archives on the Silgrad Tower forums is dated Mar. 11, 2006 and involves SwedishFish who appears to have been one of our founding members. Early posts assigned naming codes to current members. Much literature was written by KuKulZa in those days but, barring very early, undeveloped versions of the settlements currently known as Sloughpoint, RockGuard and Soulrest, very little was physically developed in the first three years. In 2009, Ibsen's Ghost took up the reins as leader with Koniption working hard to develop unique models, Deeza contributing to the lore and modding and sandor as Lead Admin. Before then, Black Marsh had seen several teams but has since seen dozens of contributors and several forums. The period between 2009-2012 saw the most physical changes until AndalayBay helped the project take off as our new administrator in 2011. I am sure we will be thanking many others for their support and contributions upon full release. Well they say good things come to those who wait, so after 7 years in development, we are pleased to announce the release of the Black Marsh alpha.
Making full use of the Shivering Isles, The Black Marshes project adds the mysterious lands of Black Marsh, otherwise known as Argonia, one of the darkest and most dangerous regions of the fictional universe of Tamriel. Other lands from this fantasy world have been explored in detail, such as Morrowind and Cyrodiil, but the lands of the reptilian Argonians have remained shrouded in mystery... until now.
Our aim is to recreate a region which no player has explored in the Elder Scrolls series since Arena. The finished mod will include many new cities, new architecture, detailed new quests, and most importantly a large new marsh and jungle landscape, filled with deadly new enemies and dungeons. The finished mod will feature six quest lines: a Main Quest line, some Miscellaneous quests, and quest lines for the Hist Tribes, Shadowscales, Trillium Magnata and Sotho Tren. The Main Quest line will have at least five quests and we haven't decided how many quests the other quest lines will feature.
- entire province of Argonia to explore, completely landscaped, with lots of unique and nasty creatures.
- gradual addition of all the quest lines. Each alpha release will feature more quests.
- custom races, unique items, tons of new flora and ingredients, new weapons and armour, unique books with background and lore
- lots of dungeons, particularly in the western part of the province. We still need to add more dungeons to the east.
- several different varieties of Argonians and six new races (Naga, Marsh Cat, Lilmothiit, Sload, Paatru and Sarpa). The Sload and Sarpa have not been added yet.
- many new creatures specially selected for the province
- a transportation network
Requires Shivering Isles and OBSE. After installation, sort your load order with BOSS - BM is included already and BOSS will place it in the correct position. Use TES4LODGen to build the object LOD before starting.
You'll also need Elys Universal Silent Voice to slow down the dialogue.
This is Argonia; there are lots of areas underwater, so bring water breathing spells or potions if your character isn't Argonian. Some of the enemies are tough. We are still working on the levelled lists, so things may be a bit unbalanced. We will post a hint thread on TAL to help you with the quests.
- Yes, we know Black Marsh isn't an island. We need to make more adjustments to the landscape along the border with Cyrodiil and Morrowind, then I'll create a new version of the map.
- There are no roads yet.
- You can use the travel network to get to the major cities for a fee.
- There are mounts that you can use for free just outside Gideon. The Marsh Iguana is slower, but more durable. It can however swim quite fast. The Marsh Runner is faster, but less durable and isn't supposed to swim, but is able to cross waterways just fine. It's probably a limitation of Oblivion that you aren't stopped from crossing water while riding a creature that can't swim. Both are flagged as essential, so they can't die. You will have to purchase these mounts in the beta.
- You can use the beds in Inns for free right now. The rental system will be in place for the beta.
- Many quests will be started at the conclusion of other quests and since we are still adding quests, you may need to go back and replay parts of the mod in order to proceed. We are trying to have faction quests start at the conclusion of the previous quest, but miscellaneous quests may start at any time. We will try to provide alternative starts for quests, but you are helping us test an alpha, so be prepared to restart the mod or replay parts of the mod.
- Our focus has been on the western half of the province. Areas farther east do have enemies in the wilderness, but the landscape still needs further development.
- Helstrom still needs to be developed.
- Lilmoth exists, but the interiors don't work and there are no NPC's yet. Soulrest needs more interiors, so many doors don't work.
- Archon and Thorn still need to be added. Deeza is working on them.
- We have faction quests for the Hist Tribes, Shadowscales, Sotho Tren and Trillium Magnata that have been coded up by David Brasher already. We just need to finish testing them and completing the supporting work that they require. They will be gradually added to future releases.
- Sload and Sarpa custom races with quests and areas using their unique attributes.
Please see the Testing Notes thread on TAL once you've been added to the testing team.
Creating a New Character
The alpha won't impact your game except in this one instance: you won't be able to create a new character without some issues with Black Marsh loaded. If you want to create a new character, please do so without Black Marsh loaded and then enable it afterwards. We know the cause of the issue and will fix it for a future alpha release.
You're feeling sleepy...
Want to Help?
We still need creature and NPC modellers, so if you've got some modelling skills and would like to give us a hand, please drop us a line!
- Ibsen's Ghost - Leader and Main Modder
- Deeza - Co-Leader and Core Member
- AndalayBay - Co-leader, quests, scripting
- Cray - Writing and lore
- qwertyasdfgh - Modelling
- Mercer - Ingredients and potions overhaul/balancing
- Vincent - Modelling, level design
- Amadaun - Texturing, Modelling
- Kaizit - Creature/NPC modelling
- Jimi diGriz - Modelling
These are the folks who reported bugs for us in the first alpha.
There are tons of people who have helped create Black Marsh. All testers will be added to the credits if they submit reports.
Thanks to all those who have supported our mod and offered ideas or suggestions.
Black Marsh is not a province mod with a couple of quests thrown in. Black Marsh is a story that requires an entire province to tell it.
Edited by AndalayBay, 11 November 2014 - 09:06 PM.