• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

NIF Exporter for 3DS Max 2013

Ehamloptiran updated his plugin, linked above, in August and we're now using it on our Max 2013 64-bit installation. We've imported models from Oblivion and they seem to be working fine. I'll update this thread when we do some more work in Max and attempt to export. Currently we're doing models for Oblivion. The 32-bit version of Ehamloptiran's plugin has not been tested very much. Ehamloptiran is focusing most of his efforts on the 64-bit version.

Ehamloptiran's focus is on Skyrim and he doesn't support Oblivion, but we're hoping the plugin will work. If you're using Max 2012 or earlier, you can use Figment's version, which is the version I'm using. Wix made some fixes to Figment's version, but his fixes never worked for me. I may use Wix's version when I start doing work for Skyrim, but Figment is working with Oblivion for me. Here is the link to Wix's version. I see that Wix has also updated his version in August, so I may give it a try again at some point. For 2012, I'm using the 32-bit version of the plugins because I've never been able to get the 64-bit version working. Figment's 64 bit also works.

The API changed significantly in version 2013 and onwards, so if you are using a new version of Max, then you'll probably need to use Ehamloptiran's version. Otherwise Figment's, Wix's or even the last official Niftools version may work for you.

Sorry for all the "may's" and "maybe's", but I've gone through a lot of trial and error getting working versions of these plugins on our machines.

Edited by AndalayBay

If the links in the opening post of Ehamloptiran's thread do not work, you will find alternate links on the second page of the thread. The plugin works for 3DS Max 2014 64-bit too, (Oblivion meshing) though I have to export as NIF and as OBJ then use nifSkope to remove the TriShapes (keeping the collision) then import the OBJ to get the mesh itself - this is because the 3DS Max plugin fails to export the materials and texturing data with the NIF, but it does include it in the OBJ.

If the links in the opening post of Ehamloptiran's thread do not work, you will find alternate links on the second page of the thread. The plugin works for 3DS Max 2014 64-bit too, (Oblivion meshing) though I have to export as NIF and as OBJ then use nifSkope to remove the TriShapes (keeping the collision) then import the OBJ to get the mesh itself - this is because the 3DS Max plugin fails to export the materials and texturing data with the NIF, but it does include it in the OBJ.

Yeah, we found that too with 2013. Jimi saves his stuff as Max 2012 and gives it to me. My version of the plugin works just fine. I also edited my post - Figment's 64 bit is working for me (Max 2012).